9.3 x 62mm Mauser

FALPhil,

I agree, the story was that Wally was hunting along a river, and an "arroyo" (don't know what the Swahili word would be) branched off. Wally asked a native woman washing clothes if she saw a wounded animal go up the arroyo, and she said no.

One of his assistants was trailing behind with the 9.3x62, and saw movement in the arroyo. He went to check it out and it turned out to be the wounded buff. IIRC Wally came running back when the assistant put 5 rounds into the chest of the buff.

It wasn't recorded what bullets were used, nor where Wally shot the buff that dropped it (although a headshot under the boss would probably be my guess).

Of course Capstick told of a 470 Nitro Express solid gouging out a hole in the boss of a charging buff, which is why he let go with both barrels and was thankful the other bullet did the job. Although he also recalls a German lady who cleanly took buff with a 7x57 with side shots to the boilermaker.

So that is why the 9.3x62 is not a "stopper" cartridge even though it is legal to hunt dangerous game with "by experienced hunters" according to some laws in Africa. It is a good round, fully adequate to take game. I wouldn't consider the 375 H&H a "stopper" cartridge either, as it is the minimum bore in many countries that don't have an exception for the 9.3x62.

It should be noted that Capstick served as a game control officer, which gave him a solid opinion that 'bigger is better' when facing down dangerous game (except for leopard, he used a 12 guage for leopard, with #1 buck).

Jimro

9.3x62

Hi,
I would not bother building a 9.3x62 when a CZ550FS is available.
The hogback stock really reduces felt recoil, the triggers are great, the only thing I did was add a NECG peep sight, otherwise it's a easy shooting accurate gun.
Federal premium loads Barnes solids and TSX copper bullets, the Prizi Partizan shoots really well, reloading is easy with reloader 15 and Graff & Sons sells 286 grain round points in bags of 100.

You get all this for ten percent less power than a 375 H&H.

I think were I in a situation where something big and mean was trying to grind me into an indecipherable paste, I'd want at least a .500 Nitro.

With an underbarrel Phoenix missile.

The British considered rounds like the 9.3 and the .375 to be medium bores, suitable for hunting most game, including dangerous game, under optimal conditions.

But, when things went badly, as they sometimes did, the British professional hunter liked to have a native gun bearer whose sole job it was to walk a pace ahead and to the right of the the Bwana with a big ass double rifle on his left shoulder, muzzles forward.

I would rate the 9.3x62 about like the .35 Whelen. In Alaska my partner used one to kill a Kodiak bear. It seemed to kill as well as my .375 H&H.

I had a pre 64 M70 FWT in 30-06 and was so impressed with his .35 W that when I returned to the states I had it rebarreled to .35 W. As it turned out I never shot anything with it.

Jerry

Husqvarna 98 in 9.3 x 62

I bought a late 1939, Husqvarna 98, Model 146, re-chambered from 9.3 x 57 to 9.3 x 62mm.

Where I live, we are fortunate to have everything from deer to grizzly, and I believe a 9.3 x 62 is certainly adequate for everything in North America, with manageable recoil. I understand that some, but not all, African countries permit 9.3 x 62 as a minimum calibre.

Bumnote is right, you can pick up a good one for a few hundred dollars. Mine cost me $350, has an excellent bore, very good wood, and groups 1" at 100 metres.

I have learned that the Husqvarna model 146 has the advantage of a standard length magazine that will accomodate the factory ammo available, Prvi, Federal, Hornady, Remington, to name a few.

The Husqvarna models 46 / 46a do not accomodate factory ammo, excepting Norma, as the maximum magazine length overall is about 3.260, so if you are planning on buying a Husqvarna and intend to use factory ammo, take that into account.

Factory ammo is expensive, and available with Nosler partition, Barnes and other premium bullets. I am using Hornady 286 grain, dangerous game series sp-rp. Around $53 per box - still a bargainb compared to some others.

It is ~.37 cal, similar in performance to the .375 H&H Mag.

It is roughly .36 cal, but no where near 375 H&H perfomance. The caliber is similar, but the 375 shoots the same bullet weights 400 fps faster. In many African countries it is legal for hunting only because it meets the minimum caliber requirement. Not something I'd want to be shooting dangerous game with even if it were legal. Certainly not a stopper round. If you are a fan of heavy slow bullets it is a good round for larger non-dangerous game.

The 9.3X62 is just a 30-06 case necked up to .366 caliber. Just like the similar 35 Whelen, and 338-06. While it is larger in diameter and shoots heavy bullets, case capacity does not allow for much speed. In fact the 9.3, 338-06 and 35 Whelen all are only slightly better, if any, than a 30-06 if loaded with heavy 220+ gr bullets.

9,3X62 and 35 Whelen are nearly the same cartridge, with just a slight difference in bore diameter and the accompanying weight increase of the bullets. Fans (and other people who should know better) go on and on about the 9,3X62 and 35 Whelen being "nearly as powerful as a 375 H&H", when a quick glance at the ballistics table will show them to be mistaken. Comparing a 250 gr bullet at 2,400 fps (3,200 ft-lbs KE) or a 290 gr bullet at 2,300 fps (3,400 ft-lbs KE) to a 300 gr bullet at 2,500 fps (4,200 ft-lbs KE) and calling them "nearly matching" is a bit of a stretch. That is 30% more energy for the 375 H&H, just in case you were wondering. So, while either the 9.3X62 or the 35 Whelen would make a great North American game stopper, they do not compare to the quintessential African plains medium bore rifle.

Scorch,

It is true that modern loads in the 375 H&H have upped the velocity, and using a modern 300gr bullet at over 2,600 fps illustrates your point. However that is not the ballistic arena in which the 9.3x62 "made it's bones" so to speak. It used to be the 375 H&H shot a 300 gr bullet at 2,400 fps and a 270gr bullet at 2,600 fps. Modern loads have abandoned the cordite and bumped up the resultant velocities a bit, although the old ballistics will kill animals just as dead.

But really, what is the difference of a .366 293gr bullet at 2,428 fps (3,842 ft/lbs) and a .375 300gr bullet at 2,400 fps (3837 ft/lbs) such as this load from Federal http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/6-0304918 ?

Not that many of us will ever get to put cross hairs on on elephant or lion, but it is definitely something fun to think about.

Jimro

If a "sporterized" Mauser 98 or K.98k has the original military stock, it already has a crossbolt. And if it has the laminated stock, it will stand up to a whole lot more in the way of recoil than the 9.3x62 will throw at it.

Jim

And no one's even mentioned the .338 Win Mag and .340 Wby Mag and .378 Wby Mags yet...there are lots and lots and lots of choices in this arena.

I would say the closest in North America is .338-06.

I love my 9.3x62, favourite pig rifle, FN Commercial '98 action, express sights regulated at 50m with 285gr soft points.

Scrummy

I had a custom Browning in this chambering for a time but traded it off. Recoil is very noticeable but was tamed with a LimbSaver pad and MagnaPorting at the muzzle. Ballistically speaking, the 35 Whelen is close.

Jack

This thread reminds me of the beautiful 9.3X57 Husqvarna Mauser I passed up a few years ago. I was so foolish all I had to do was neck 8x57 Mauser to 9.3 and I would have had my own amunition and this beautiful Rifle. Still bothers me to this day.

BTW the 9.3 equivalent of the 375 H&H is the 9.3x64 Brenneke. It was so successful that some British colonies specifically demanded 375 minimum diameters to ensure the 366 competition from Germany was shut out. One of theses days I need to whip up some ammo for mine, it's nearly unavailable in the US as Fiocchi (the RWS importer) doesn't carry that specific caliber here.

In Europe various semi-autos are chambered in 9.3x62 . Browning and others but they may be hard to get here.

Back