8x56r

if someone enjoys chopping up cheap guns that you can hardly find ammo for....more power to em! my only request would be buy 2 and save one of them unmolested for history's sake.

but i dont see anything wrong with someone turning a crappy old 8X56r into a 50 Alaskan...because they are bored, and want something to work on.

some people want to watch the world burn...and some like to tinker with it :D

if someone enjoys chopping up cheap guns that you can hardly find ammo for....more power to em!

Yes, but:
Maybe TFL needs a forum called "Bubba's Rifles" instead of Curio and Relics for these posts!
Although my chosen thread title may be a bit extreme, the idea is once the "chopping" begins, by BATF definition, the gun is no longer a Curio & Relic firearm as the title of this forum indicates. therefore modifications of C&R surplus rifles would better fit in The Smithy forum, or Art of the Rifle forum.

Re-Barrel my M95 Steyr? Never!

I had my Steyr M95 since last Nov and only had a chance to shoot it once but it's a kind of gun I'm only going to take out once and a while anyways.
(My shoulder is thankful, I'm sure!) I was lucky enough to find some that had some reloads (I traded some 7.62 that I had lying around). AIMS Surplus had some but they're out of stock right now. Also Youtube has a couple of good video's on reloading the 8X56r.
BTW - Here's mine:
steyrm95overview.jpg

steyrm95closeup.jpg

I just Ordered a M95 from JG today. This is my first purchase from them, any idea what I can expect for shipping time and what condition the rifle will be in? thanks!

Even though im not gonna be able to shoot it much I really think I will enjoy having this rifle in my collection

PS Beautiful Rifle Dennis

Although my chosen thread title may be a bit extreme, the idea is once the "chopping" begins, by BATF definition, the gun is no longer a Curio & Relic firearm as the title of this forum indicates. therefore modifications of C&R surplus rifles would better fit in The Smithy forum, or Art of the Rifle forum.
this is not relevent here. ATF does not make that definition, the morons that wrote US code 922R/925D made that distinction as a means of keeping as many 'scary rifles' as possible out of peoples hands. a gun does not have to be original condition or military surplus to be considered a C&R. a gun that was sporterized in the 60s is still a C&R peice, just like a winchester 1894 with a flip up sight is still a C&R, regardless of whether it's a bubba gun or not and regardless of what someone has done to a gun in the past. all of the enfied, mauser, springfield, arisaka, carcano, mosin nagant, winchester, krag, remington, and colt experts that like those old guns and intimately know their mechanics hang out here. not in the 'bubba country' forums.

surplus ammo is still around for under $2 a rnd. Thats not to bad considering the cost of a lot of centerfire ammo

If ever have to pay anything near two bucks a shot for ammo, I'll find another hobby. It's one thing to own a rifle purely as a collectible, that'll be shot only rarely. Certainly would never be considered a "shooter" by me, though. As it is, a day at the range with my sons runs two bills, and that's with handloads... It ain't a cheap hobby, if you send any amount of lead downrange.

An excellent condition Steyr was carried last weekend by a private seller into the Southhaven MS gun show.
I was leaving as he came it, and have no idea whether he sold it.

Back