8x56r

lordhedgwich

I just ordered my steyr m95/34 from j&g sales is there anywhere i can get ammo for under $30.00 a box? I knew ammo was hard to find, but i didnt realize the surplus was even 2.00 a round.

cabelas has hornady metric classics but I doubt they'll be cheaper than you suggested. ammo availability is the number 1 thing keeping me from buying one of those super cheap 95s.

Unfortunately the bullet is an oddball size used by nothing else, and similarly the cartridge case probably has not been used in any sporting rifle for many years. Unless you can go to cast bullets you may be stuck with these fixed costs.

Lee makes a sizer die that you can run jacketed .338 bullets through to get .329 bullets. There are also casting moulds out there for .330 diameter bullets.

Some people have used 7.62x54R brass in the 8x56R. It will work, but there is some gas leakage, so most people download them somewhat.

I have been using Prvi components that I got back when they were plentiful and cheap. I also bought a closeout batch of cast .330 200gr LRNs a while back. I still have about half of them left.

Just rebarrel it to 30-40, 7.62x54R, or 8(Mauser diameter)x56R so you can use the original clips and call it a day :D

Some people have used 7.62x54R brass in the 8x56R. It will work, but there is some gas leakage, so most people download them somewhat
A good idea for any loading in this rifle. It's gas handling is...non existent. A pierced primer will propel the bolt-sleeve straight back, unlocking the bolt under pressure :eek:

That's why I'm rebarreling mine in the 40000psi 50 Alaskan:
P3310005_zpsf4bd9e9a.jpg

P3310007_zpsa6818cfd.jpg

TCB

I was able to get 50 rnds surplus nazi from my LGS at $1 each with the clip. I will be ordering some PP or Horn as soon as I find some. I also have the Lee dies that I picked from gunbroker.

That's why I'm rebarreling mine in the 40000psi 50 Alaskan:
I read an article a few years ago about a fellow that converted one to 30-40 Krag. Seemed like a good route to take.

Why re-barrel one
because even though they are actually semi rare compared to other rifles, they are still dirt cheap and not everyone has one and those that do normally don't rebarrel them so it's one of those things where it would be relatively inexpensive to build yourself a one of a kind rifle.

because even though they are actually semi rare compared to other rifles, they are still dirt cheap and not everyone has one and those that do normally don't rebarrel them so it's one of those things where it would be relatively inexpensive to build yourself a one of a kind rifle.

Maybe TFL needs a forum called "Bubba's Rifles" instead of Curio and Relics for these posts!:eek::D

I should have mentioned that i dont reload. I knew ammo was somewhat rare when i ordered it.. The rifle just looks so cool And its so cheap i though it would go good with my other bolt actions =D.

I should have mentioned that i dont reload. I knew ammo was somewhat rare when i ordered it.. The rifle just looks so cool And its so cheap i though it would go good with my other bolt actions =D.

Dont worry yet. Its a very cool rifle (thats why I have one) and surplus ammo is still around for under $2 a rnd. Thats not to bad considering the cost of a lot of centerfire ammo. Do some searches and you will find it. If you need endblock/clips I have some extra I would part with for the cost of shipping.
Anyone who has boxer primed brass I would gladly purchase it from you, or trade a few rnds of surplus ammo for it.

Saxonpig

I read Your article about handloading for the 8X56 and I must say Sir that It was the most interesting thing I have read in a long time. Well done Sir and Bravo.

Everything about these rifles is funky and non-standard, and pretty much all of them are mix-master, cut down, rechambered beaters. They lend themselves to chop jobs very well, since almost any change is an improvement. Replacing broken stocks or relocating the idiotic sling swivel at the grip. Changing the rotted barrel to a real caliber, as opposed to an in-between that isn't used by any other cartridge. Replacing the sights with something that isn't measured in Schritt. Modifying the feed mechanism to use a magazine instead of a flimsy clip (which is itself non-standard).

The list goes on. I'm gonna have about 500$ into the my 50 Alaskan build when I'm finished; I defy anyone to build a straight-pull bolt action for less than that. I won't cut up my K31s because they are nice guns. These are not nice guns ;) (and that's why they cost 100$)

IMG_20130508_204632_044_zps320d28b2.jpg

BTW, once the barrel is chambered and headspaced, this thing will feed like a champ single-shot with no other significant change (minor opening of bolt-face)

TCB

I figure that this Rifle would apeal more to collectors than shooters. But that if there are eneough of them in circulation there will be amunition available, some companies like Privi Partison will load for it if people buy the product.

I fail to see the logic behind your statement..
Preserving historic military rifles, and enjoying them for what they are. Versis destroying what they were to make something that ends up costing more than a brand new commercially built rifle. Often still ending up with something not as good as could have been bought off the shelf
Yes, after WWII "sporterizing" military rifles became quite popular. An abundant supply of surplus rifles at a cheap price. A very nice hunting rifle could built at a savings compared to commercially avalable guns. Many were beautifully done. On the other hand many were "Bubba'd" hack saw chop jobs.
With well built, accurate, reliable, and relatively afordably priced commercial hunting rifles on the market for the past couple decades or so, the day of the military "sporter" died with Disco, or at least should have.

Back