8mm surplus ammo help

8mm

i need to know what country made this ammo and how hot the loads are.

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 173
The 21 RPR is Romanian, and I've found it, especially in its later steel case version, on the lighter side. The other is Turkish, and it is a bit more stout. I'm not sure which bullet weight you have in the Turkish, but some have found it rather hot.

Looks like turk ammo and the packs a hell of a punch. It is ONLY meant to be shot from a bolt action not a semi or full auto it will crack the receiver and break other parts.

I read about 2-3 people who shoot turk ammo out of SAFN-49s and experienced no issues. But, do you knwo where i can find some?

you can fing 8m turk on gun brocker type 8mm under rifle ammo second page. ( 8mm 8x571950 turkish copper jacket) thats what title line says.

Turkish military surplus ammo would typically have some form of Arabic script, a half-moon and star reminiscent of what is on the Turkish flag, or both.

As Jonny said, that's likely Romanian, but it's definitely not Turkish. Or, if it is, it's a form of headstamp that is totally new for them.

also, assume it is corrosive primed...

And clean your gun accordingly. If non-corrosive, no harm done, just a little more work. But most surplus ammo from eastern nations is corrosive primed.

The US ended corrosive priming of its military ammo beginning in the 1950s, but other nations didn't until much, much later, and some may still be making new ammo with corrosive priming. Assume any foreign surplus ammo to be corrosive, act accordingly, and you won't damage your gun.

If you don't already know, corrosive priming leaves behind chemical salts from the priming compound, that will absorb and trap water against the steel, causing rapid rust. They can be cleaned away with water, and then followed by the normal cleaning routine, all will be well.

i was going to use the romanian rounds in my gew 88 but it has a .318 bore have to buy another 8 mm mauser to use them sluged it lastnight thanks for all the info.

Turkish military surplus ammo would typically have some form of Arabic script, a half-moon and star reminiscent of what is on the Turkish flag, or both.

I'm not certain about that; The Turks use the Roman alphabet.

The ammo on the right is definitely Turkish surplus. Ive got several ammo cans full of it and as some of the other posts stated it is loaded hot. I believe it is loaded with 154gr bullets if I remember correctly.

I'm confused about the confusion here. There are two different rounds pictured. The one on the left (21RPR) is 100% Romanian. The one on the right (FS...1945...) is 100% Turkish. Both can have two different bullet weights, pull and weigh to be sure. No other discussion is really relevant.

i just wanted to know the countries because i was going to shot it out of a gew 88 witch has a .318 bore and the bullets are .323 cant use them in my rifle. just wanted to know country.

Damn, I looked at the one on the right and for some reason saw a commercial headstamp, not a military one, and thought we were talking about the one on the left. Sigh.

But, as I said, Turkish ammo would have either Arabic script and/or a moon and star, and there's a Crescent Moon and Star on the headstamp. It's hard to see in that picture, but it's on the bottom beside the T.

According to Munhall and White, the headstamp is actually read with the TC and the moon and star at the top.

TC means Trkiye Cumhuriyet, or Turkish Republic.

The FS is an abbreviation for Fisek, the Turkish word for bullet. Apparently this is to differentiate the cartridges from blanks.

jonnyc nailed it - Romanian on the left and Turkish on the right. I would not shoot Turkish out of a GEW 88. The Turkish is definitely hot and should only be shot in a Model 98 or newer that is in good condition.

the gun has a .318 bore i wouldent shoot neather through it. because the bullets are problly .321-.323.

my gew 88 has the turkish stamp but its still .318 they say it should be .323 i sluged it 3 times i know the barrel on the bottom has a z stamp the lands measure .318-.319.

I am sure your correct, but, Model #1887 was 9.5mm60R, the #1890 was 7.65mm53 Belgium, the #1893 was 7.65mm53 Belgium, the #1903 was 7.65mm53 Belgium Mauser/Argentine, then they became 8mm57 Mauser starting in 1933.

Both the 8mm57 and 7.65mm53 had two diameters, both were supposed to have a .311 bore, one had a land depth of .318, the other was .323, then? It is believed the .318 barrel was throated to have a forcing cone to accommodate the new and improved larger .323 bullet and then there are those that say "And that is all that is required....".

There may not be an answer to every question and I have no problem with saying "I DO NOT KNOW", When I slug a barrel the strong get weak and the weak pass out, the most unlikely measurement I come across is the .311 bore, most common bores are closer to .316.

F. Guffey

Back