8mm Mauser ammo

i used to put 50's (headstamp 54) 8mm through my Hakim w/no problems, but I've seen on other boards where people have had a case failure shooting 50's yugo through their Hakims; auto-disassembly commenced immediately.

I sometimes had a ftf putting the same batch through my 98K or M43 mausers. I waited 5 seconds, turned the bolt and it usually went off the second time.

Nice price.

Have most of you guys noticed that 50's Yugo 8mm is now listed on an extra three or so distributors' websites?

Even Classicarms (in NC) has it, even though some of their ammo is often forgotten by "Ammo-deals".

As for strange things happening, let's not forgot that surplus .303 has now reappeared, but at double the previous price.
This seems weird after over a year of nothing.

Last edited:
sprotsmans guide has 50s yugo on strippers for cheap... picked up 150rds for less than $50. didnt want a ton of it b/c of the mixed reviews. that and i dont really shoot he mauser that often.

Since a couple of people have mentioned reloading this stuff -- how do you reload it? I haven't shot any Yugo mil-surp, but I have been shooting Ecuadorian mil-surp 8mm in my Mauser and it's Berdan primed.

How do you reload Berdan cases?

Hi, Garand 1957 and guys,

That kind of "split" case is not the result of rifle headspace. It is due to the acid in improperly washed powder eating away at the inside of the case over years. Depending on how the ammo was stored, it can appear at the rear, the middle, or the shoulder of the case. It rarely causes any problem other than perhaps some gas blowback (wear shooting glasses, always), but can be disconcerting when fired cases are examined.

Also, when firing dubious ammo, be careful with hangfires. IF a round does not fire immediately, leave the bolt closed for at least 30 seconds in case of a hangfire (delayed firing). If you open the bolt and the round lets go in the action or in the air while being ejected, the shooter's face and eyes can receive a blast of gas and case fragments, and the rifle can be wrecked.

Jim

Back