$800 or less on an autoloader or O/U

testdepth

Inactive
Trying to buy my daughter the best gun for the money and all the money is $800.

Mostly for trap and clays.

She is 14 and shoots a 12GA now with no problem.

Yildiz has good reviews but I know nothing about them.

Any opinions on autoloaders would be helful.

Beretta 390 Sporting Clays 20 ga

410726227.jpg

testdepth,

You say,

She is 14 and shoots a 12GA now with no problem.

Is that; 1 box, 4 boxes, or 12 boxes?

If she can shoot a complete trap program (12 boxes) without getting into trouble, get her a "Good" trap gun. If she good for 4 boxes, get her something she likes. Now if its 1 box, maybe something nice in 20ga.

Last edited:
Look at Remington, Beretta and Browning gas guns...and I'd stay with a 12ga...there is a lot more variety in shells out there for the 12ga ( like 1 oz and even 3/4 oz loads in a 12 ga )...

Rem 1100's and 11-87's ...are older technology ...but they're solid guns ( if they are newer versions with changeable screw in chokes).

Beretta has made a number of models over the last 20 yrs....390's / new model 391's ...are still all over / most used...but still solid guns...

Browning used to make a Gold series semi-auto in 12ga..( they've dropped it now, except in a 10ga ) but there are still a lot of Gold models around - even new in box, and affordable....and the newer series is Browning Silver..both very nice guns for a new shooter...

Honestly, I would stay away from most anything else..Franchi, Yildiz, Weatherby, Mossberg, etc....they don't hold up to long term target usage of 5,000 shells a year or more...

I bought a used Remington 1100 12 ga. twenty years ago for skeet shooting and it's the one shotgun out of seven that I own, that I shoot the most.
You can probably pick one up for her pretty cheap.

Look for a clean used Remington 1100 Classic Trap with choke tubes. Solid, reliable, soft recoil.

A good repeater is way better than a cheap O/U. Money can be saved on a used gun. Within your budget you should be able to easily find an excellent used Beretta 3** or Remington 1100. For clays and trap you don't need a 3" capable gun. But, if trap is in the mix I would stick with a 12. When she decides she wants to start backing up, it can step up to the plate.

Semi auto in 12 gauge. With lighter loads a gas operated 12 ga semi is going to have a lot less recoil than a fixed breach 20 gauge.

Definetley gas operated 12ga. I second the vote for a Classic Trap I have one and LOVE IT! Awesome guns old technology or not... If it works why would you need something else or "newer technology"?

Found a Berretta O/U for $600

I found a used Beretta S 685 12GA 28" in excellent condition for $600.00

Is this a good price?

That is an excellent price if it is in good shape. Check for stock cracks in the grip area and around the metal receiver. That is where a break-open design takes the most stress (from people snapping it closed too hard).

I bought my 685 back in the mid 80s when I was in Italy. I still love it.

Great price if it looks good. I went with a guy I met pheasant hunting last season to get his nearly new 685 appraised at Gander mtn last year and before we went in he said if I could match their price I could have it. Guy at the counter quoted him $500 and he walked away. So no new gun for me as he felt insulted.

I've owned 3 Yildez O/U's and just bought my wife one. Haven't had any problem with any of them other than the fact that they are light for shooting a lot of rounds thru. But with a budget of $800 a used Citori isn't out of the question.

I don't have enough experience to suggest a good gun for you, but I have some exposure to the Mossberg 930. My friend bought one last year for a pretty penny and we have taken it out about a dozen times and always have, at least one or more, some kind of cycling hiccups. Maybe we just have found the particular load that his rifle likes, but I just think a good semi auto probably isn't going to come cheap. I have been so turned off by the experience I don't ever consider getting a semi auto, although I am sure some run great.

Back