8-Shot .357 Redhawk!

Model12Win

Guys the cat's out of the bag!

Not only will Ruger be releasing 5-shot GP100 in .44 special in the near future, but they'll also be releasing an 8-shot Redhawk in .357 magnum! This was confirmed by Jeff Quinn on another gun forum.

I don't have any details on the model number, nor a picture, but it's going to happen! I'm so excited. I would love for it to be in the same configuration as their .45 ACP/.45 Colt model with 4.2" barrel and round butt frame with wood grips.

If anyone has any more information let us know. We can all put stuff here as more info comes out on this revolver! I'm so excited!! :D

I think it's going to be a big yawn. S&W has the 686+ holding seven rounds and it's actually less popular than the six shot model. There's not much, if any advantage with the extra rounds and speed loaders are hard to find. I have the 686+ and a regular 686 and I don't see any advantage in having the extra round. It shoots very well and has a different barrel length so there's no reason to get rid of it so I keep it.

The 44 spec sounds interesting.

IMHO, the redhawk seems like a lot of iron for a 357.

Now, how about an x frame size X-Hawk? SilverHawk? Then they could bring back the 357 Maximum, 460 and 500 s&w.

I am proud they did the GP in 44 special...but I will probably pass as I have never liked the GP100...44 special won't change that.

The Redhawk is a yawner as others have said...TOO big for .357. A few folks will buy them but it will not sell remotely like the 44 special will.

I've got a redhawk in 44mag with a 4" barrel. It is heavy enough to make 180 grain Remington loads feel like 357 mag. I cannot fathom wanting something that heavy for a 357 mag, especially with a 2" barrel. Swing and a miss to me.

While I don't particularly want one of these, Smith & Wesson currently lists seven different models of 8-shot .357s (plus an 8-shot 9mm revolver). So somebody out there must be buying them.

A longer barrel is a necessity for the .357 Redhawk. Honestly, for the weight of that piece, nobody is going to look at carrying such a gun for an extra two rounds of .357, which from such a short barrel is a measly increase in power over quality .38+P.

Given a choice, I see no reason why I'd choose this Redhawk over almost every other small to medium frame .38 or the .327 LCR.

And since the barrel is so short, I really don't see how this would appeal to shooters as a target, plinker, or competition gun.

PS- this will most likely have the round butt frame as Ruger makes a 2.5" .44 and .41 Magnum with a round butt.

A 357 redhawk with 7.5" barrel and machined for rings might be useful for small game hunting. I am not marketing person all I am doing is trying to image an application for such a heavy 357. I could get a hunter version.

627-820round_zpszyxkbkzs.jpg

^^^

That's the gun the 357 Redhawk would compete against. I'm not in the market for something like that. An eight shot Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel would make more sense to me. To each his own.

I like the idea of a 2". 357 8 shooter. But, I have a 4" and a 2" 7 shooter. And I still end up carrying J-Frames 99% of the time.

It seems the only uses for an 8-shot .357 would be USPSA revolver competition with .38 special or 38 long colts or as a nightstand / truck gun shooting .357 mags. The USPSA version would require a four or five inch barrel, a better trigger than most Redhawks have, and the ability to use moonclips. The nightstand / truck gun purpose would be better with a 3 inch barrel.

I understand that the Redhawk action is different from the Super Redhawk / GP-100 action and it more diffult to tune. As much as I like Ruger revolvers, I doubt I'd chose an 8-shot Redhawk over a SW 627.

The 2 inch 627 is a pretty popular gun, but expensive. I know a few guys who like them for woods carry. This redhawk would be a direct competitor for that at a much lower price point. They're not going to make hundreds of thousands of them, but I'll bet they sell enough to make money. You better believe Ruger did their market research before rolling this model out.

^ I don't know if they did their research as a good number of people here seem to not care for the barrel length. Give me a 5 or 6 inch barrel and I'll put it at the top of my .357 Magnum list.

I give the .357 Redhawk 3 years until it's discontinued.

Back