7mm rem mag bullet jump

.158" is the distance to the lands. Like sako2 says, work up the load, first. Then, if you feel like it, you can fiddle with the off-the-lands thing. Said thing being a load tweaking technique that is 100% trial and error.
59 grains of H4831 is a full grain over current max.

I don't have a current reloading manual but Ken Waters' Petloads book lists 62-63gr H4831 and one was close to max for the 175gr bullets he used ( Hornady and Speer ). To me, a reloading manual is a guideline to take seriously. A sticking bolt, flatten primer, and tender shoulder are my indicators for an excessive load.

Burbank said: "To me, a reloading manual is a guideline to take seriously."

It's true, but it depends on YOUR rifle and degree of comfort experimenting. MY 7mm Rem Mag Browning A-Bolt with a BOSS shoots great groups with 175 gr Nosler Partition, and has taken 2 Elk in the past. The load is 73.0gr of H-1000, graphed at 2985 fps.

Max manual Loads: Nosler: 65.5gr; Lyman 70.0gr; Hodgdon (with the partition) 64.5gr.

Higher velocity is not always more accurate, as we all know. But in my case, in this situation, climbing to 73.0 gr without "side effects" and better accuracy, disproves that.

Exactly. When I started reloading, I had a friend who load way off the chart where his primer primers were flat and his primer pockets became loose. He knew this wasn't his accuracy load. Then he backed down to find his node. Any shooter should look at such loads with caution, start within the guidelines, and work up. Of course, if a shooters prefers a lighter load or a load that matches his bullet, he/she may opt for a lower charge within the guidelines. An example might be Sierra SMP bullets. I've read and heard so many stories of them not holding up, I'm thinking they they are possibly designed for lower charges.

I shoot 162gr ELD-X in 280AI and the 175gr ELD-X is just little longer 1.567" vs 1.478" 162gr.

I'm little over 3.400" and use VLD seater stem. They do rec 1/8.5 or faster twist for that 175gr ELD-X.

You may do better change bullets.

I once came across this formula for cast bullets that determined the right weight bullet for a particular rifle twist. Does anyone have a similar formula or rule of thumb guideline for smokeless powder such as here?

Back