7MM Mag Recoil with Muzzle Brake

I can say that a 7mm Rem Mag with a good brake can feel like a 308 when fired.

This made me smile, remembering a day long ago when I shot a 7mm Mag and a .308 Win one after the other, and they felt the same to me, in recoil.

Neither one had a brake, and the recoil felt the same to me. They were both what in those days we called "good kickers!" ;)

The difference was that the 7mm Rem mag was a friend's Rem 700 BDL, and the .308Win was my Rem 600.

The .308 also seemed louder, though that was probably because the muzzle was several inches closer to my face. :D

Recoil felt the same to me, but the 700 was a couple pounds heavier rifle. This wasn't a case of a "soft shooting" 7mm Mag, it was a case of a very light weight 308 kicking as hard as a standard 7mm Mag. :eek::rolleyes:

Stock fit to the shooter and gun weight as well as the amount of powder being burned all affect felt recoil. And, for some people, so does muzzle blast. A good muzzle brake, correctly installed will reduce the felt recoil, and it will increase the muzzle blast to close bystanders, because the vented gas is literally angled to the side and slightly rearward. There's no free lunch.

This made me smile, remembering a day long ago when I shot a 7mm Mag and a .308 Win one after the other, and they felt the same to me, in recoil.

Neither one had a brake, and the recoil felt the same to me. They were both what in those days we called "good kickers!" ;)

The difference was that the 7mm Rem mag was a friend's Rem 700 BDL, and the .308Win was my Rem 600.

The .308 also seemed louder, though that was probably because the muzzle was several inches closer to my face. :D

Recoil felt the same to me, but the 700 was a couple pounds heavier rifle. This wasn't a case of a "soft shooting" 7mm Mag, it was a case of a very light weight 308 kicking as hard as a standard 7mm Mag. :eek::rolleyes:

Stock fit to the shooter and gun weight as well as the amount of powder being burned all affect felt recoil. And, for some people, so does muzzle blast. A good muzzle brake, correctly installed will reduce the felt recoil, and it will increase the muzzle blast to close bystanders, because the vented gas is literally angled to the side and slightly rearward. There's no free lunch.
No free lunch...so true. I really need to bite the bullet, pun intended, and get a couple of suppressors. I reckon that's close to less expensive lunch (well, taking into account the price of the suppressor and tax stamp), but then you have the extended barrel (unless you get a short barrel rifle) and some added weight.

Thank you sir. I am building my reloading equipment. Have the 270 dies and a little bit of Norma brass. Got a few more things to get. I am partial to the Nosler Accubonds and Partitions myself. Might get some Sierra Game Kings as well.

Much appreciated. My problem is that I am always looking at different rifles and calibers. Maybe I just need folks to talk me out of it. Two largest calibers I have are 270 and 308.
With good bullets - the .270 Winchester is more than adequate for even bull elk out past 300 yards, especially if you reload.

- Barnes 140 gr. TSX
- Nosler 150-160 gr. Partition.

Even Federal Factory 150 gr. Partitions or 130 gr. Trophy Copper will do fine given good shot placement.

IF the .270 Winchester isn't big enough?

Get a 9.3x62mm Mauser or .35 Whelen, as that is your next step.

Red

My buddy has a Browning Boss 7mm bolt gun. The recoil is much less than my old Remington 700 bolt, but I can't give you anything scientific. Now it is also 2x louder with the break so wear hearing protection.

My buddy has a Browning Boss 7mm bolt gun. The recoil is much less than my old Remington 700 bolt, but I can't give you anything scientific. Now it is also 2x louder with the break so wear hearing protection.

Why I won't have one on a hunting rifle.

They are ridiculous.

Red

With good bullets - the .270 Winchester is more than adequate for even bull elk out past 300 yards, especially if you reload.

- Barnes 140 gr. TSX
- Nosler 150-160 gr. Partition.

Even Federal Factory 150 gr. Partitions or 130 gr. Trophy Copper will do fine given good shot placement.

IF the .270 Winchester isn't big enough?

Get a 9.3x62mm Mauser or .35 Whelen, as that is your next step.

Red
I got some Norma TipStrike 140 grain for my 270. Should be good elk medicine.

I have brakes on most of my rifles. The torn up shoulder and titanium rod in my neck don't care for recoil very much.

I got some Norma TipStrike 140 grain for my 270. Should be good elk medicine.

I have brakes on most of my rifles. The torn up shoulder and titanium rod in my neck don't care for recoil very much.
While that bullet will no-doubt work?

Think they are probably a little more on the "rapid expansion" end w/r/t elk.

Believe a tougher bullet would suit you better, especially if you hit heavy bone.

Red

Never hunted elk, but I have shot 7 mm rem mag for years.
Handloading is the only way Ive fed my mod 70 push feed 7 mag.
Bullets lighter than 160 grns dont seem to recoil as much as heavier bullets for me.
Also, I can not remember any felt recoil when shooting deer with it,.
A lot of felt recoil can be tamed with proper stock, and fit to shooter.
Handloading?? Its not the greatest era to gwt started handloading, its the sad truth of it.
I havent loaded any ammunition since September of 21..
I did manage to find a load my rifle really likes using Retumbo and 168 grn Long Range Accubonds, Im pushing them real fast, and they are accurate and consistent...
I think maybe one can over think recoil, I have seen people buy mag rifles and plumb get beatem up at the range, then become recoil shyso bad they couldnt shoot very well with any rifle...
Good luck in your endeavors man.

Back