7mm-08

I like the low perceived recoil.

If the ultimate "one size fits all" rifle/cartridge combo is a bolt action 30.06 then the ultimate "one size fits all" rifle/cartridge combo for those who want to minimize recoil is probably the bolt action 7mm-08.

A quick glance through my reloading manuals (that list the twist of the barrel used to develop the 7-08 load data therein)

Nosler 5th 1:9 (Wiseman custom)

Speer 13th 1:9.25 (Remington 700V)

Hornady 5th 1:9 (TC Encore)

Sierra 50th Anniversary ed. 1:9 (Remington 700)

My Ruger has a 1:9.5

The only definitive answer from Google I could get on a Thompson Center (makers of the OP's Optima) 7-08 was on a "Scout", and it had a 1:10.....

....so it appears that the Savage is (or was) an oddball......

As the .244 Remington proved, one of the surest ways to kill a new caliber is to offer it in a twist that won't stabilize heavy-for-caliber bullets.....

one time (maybe still?) Savage made their 7-08s in 1:11.5. I have no idea who else

This has been a big complaint on some of the long-range shooting forums. Savage really missed the boat on this one.

Kill dozer I can't say any thing about the rifle but the 7MM-08 is a very good deer caliber. I have shot a 25-06 for years on deer but this year I ended up with a Ruger Hawkeye 7-08. I was very pleased with the results. One shot one deer about 125 yards. Most people use 140 gr bullest I used 120 Nosler BT with Varget powder. It is very accurate at 100 (3/4") and 200 (1 3/4")yards. I am gona use it again next year the 25 needs a break :):)

I had a Browning A-Bolt Micro-Medalion in 7mm-08 and it was a sweet little rifle. I reloaded some Barnes X-bullets (this was a long time ago) and I had the barrel so copper fouled I'll never use solid copper bullets again unless they totally ban lead core bullets. I know they've changed the alloy but those X-bullets were a disaster. I've also had a couple .308's. The 7mm-08 dropped the deer (all shot in the lungs) much faster then the .308. I don't know why but this was always true on every kill made.

I have an CVA in 308 with the Bergara barrel...it weighs a ton and shoots great. The trigger has been worked down to 32oz and it feels like a dream, problem is it's useless for me because it's too heavy to carry around. If I'm going to carry that kind of weight I'll stick to my 270BAR.

I bought my 7yo son a 7mm08 handi rifle this year to deer hunt with. 36" long 5# of mule kick. Even with reduced recoil loads this gun still kicks pretty good. For a 18" barrel it shoots great, he took a deer with it this season using remington managed recoil. It run about 20 yards before expiring. I really like this round. I'd love to find an ultralight bolt action for my own use.

7mm bullets

Although I don't have a 7mm-08(great modern round), I do have a
7x57 mauser and a 280 Rem. The BC's on those 7mm bullets is awesome.
The mauser is really my 14 year old boy's, that I downloaded with 130grn spitzers @ 2400-2500 fps.
Low recoil but still plenty of deer power and very accurate.
His young eyes prefer open sights and @ 100 yards he smokes me with that gun. I guess I taught him right!

Back