7mm-08 Ruger American Rifle

I had a Rem 700 Classic 7mm-08 and that thing painfully dug into my shoulder with each shot from a bench. I feel your pain.

Getting off the bench and out in the field can make a world of difference. I can shoot some heavy kickers far more from a field position than I can the same rifle and load from a shooting bench.

I like to sight in at the bench and then go practice from unknown ranges and shooting positions like I would do on a hunt. Its fun and teaches you a lot about your rifle and yourself. And recoil pain just goes away.

I used to be on a lease that had a small hill that overlooked a large plowed field and it was surprising how far away you could hit a dirt clod and only guess at the range. If a coyote would have walked out as far as 400 yards away it would have been an easy shot. But that was years ago and after a lot of practice. I am not sure I could do it today. Sigh.:(

Yup I don't feel any kick when I take shots hunting. I'm pretty immune to recoil it was just the surprise of owning such a light rifle. I've decided to use a muzzle brake anyway. I just don't like the thought of using recoil managed ammunition.

If you don't want to spend the money to get your muzzle threaded and a brake added try a Past Recoil pad. if recoil isn't an issue when hunting, this will fix the issue while shooting from the bench. Brakes are very effective tools, but they do add a lot of muzzle blast which can lead to flinching and other issues at the bench.

Brakes are a better solution; reduces recoil (which is the point of the entire "exercise")- while adding only ounces, not pounds- to the rifle. Added benefit of reducing muzzle rise keeping you on target.

Not "friendly" to those on adjacent benches because of the blast, but I've never spoken to a shooter that found it affected his ability to hit what he's aiming at...

Threaded muzzles are preferable- but if cost is a consideration (I charge $100 to thread/install a brake, which is about average), consider a clamp-on such as this one from Witt Machine. Quality clamp-ons will not come loose if correctly installed, and monitored periodically. I have a Kahntrol on a 10 year old 7-08 that hasn't budged since it was put on a decade and several thousand rounds ago.

You do need a mike or calipers to accurately measure for them.

http://wittmachine.net/index.php?ma...ducts_id=211&zenid=sksjmudaf6hnf5qu2jbhdqdj12

Last edited:
Back