7mm-08 gaining popularity in your neck of the woods?

Oh, there are currently 27 loads for the 7mm-08 available at MidwayUSA...Hornady, PPU, Remington, Winchester, Nolser, Barnes, HSM, Norma and DoubleTap. Most are 120-140 grain loads.

And most of those can be bought in the off season on sale for about 50-60% of regular hunting season price. Id say my average cost of 7mm08 is about $18 to $19 a box when buying that way.

This makes me wonder: What percentage of Deer hunters shoot a box of ammo or less each year from their Deer rifle? I think that's none of us here a TFL. But it could easily be the majority of hunters that hit the woods on opening day. I imagine they get their box of ammo at their local sporting goods store or farm/hardware store. I also expect that the vast majority of them use a 30-'06, 270, or 30-30 with 243 and 308 also fairly well represented. There's probably a even some country stores in the back in the hills somewhere that has ammo, yet they have no 7mm08, but just happen to have a couple of boxes of 32 Winchester Special and 35 Remington.
All this is mere speculation, of course.

Maybe speculation, but it is likely that most hunters shoot a box or less a year.

My father and the guys he hunted with would put a box of ammo through a new rifle, then maybe 10 about this time of year to check zero and then maybe 3-10 rounds hunting, and that was if they saw a few coyotes during Pronghorn, Deer or Elk season. In close to 35 years, he has about twenty 20 round boxes of empty cases. That is a very common theme and most of the ranges around here open to non-members this time of year so they can shoot their 5 rounds or so.

I won't hunt with people who can not shoot field positions anymore. I have taken several to the range and had them shoot 50 rounds in the summer. Some realize the suck and get some practice, some are okay and some decide to go with someone else.

I put several boxes through a new rifle before it gets to go hunting. After that, the only time it gets fired is if there is game in the crosshairs. We get 6 deer per season. I usually bag my limit plus two or three coyotes per year. Half a box of ammo per year tops probably.

I've already stated that as I have three rifles in 7v57 I really have no use for a 7-08. Yet, upon reflection, should a good price on an M70 FWT show up at a gun show, I do believe I would be sorely tempted, if for nothing else but to see what all the fuss is about. I've hunted deer with a .243, 270, 30-06 and have yet yo take deer with a .257 Bob or .280 Rem. As a matter of fact, I've only lost two deer and both times I was using a 7x57. :eek: First one was a close range, maybe 35 yards tops at a Nevada Mule Deer back around 1973. Rifle was a old 1893 Mauser built up to look like a Rigby. Good shooting rifle too. The only ammo available was that 175 gr. Federal round nose. The dies to reload hadn't come in yet so I was stuck with the Federal. Deer was solidly hit but only a very small piece of lung tissue and a few drops of blood found. The deer was shot around 8:30 in the morning and the wife and I looked until it was too dark to see anything. I went out the next morning and continued the search and found it by the crows and magpies taking over what the coyotes had left. I put the blame on that heavy 175 gr. bullet which I think probably didn't open up enough and probably just penciled on through.
The second deer was not the fault of the cartridge, rifle or anything else other han me being in a hurry and twisting my leg on a loose rock, tearing almost 100 percent of the miniscus in my right knee. I hit the deer who ran into a gully. I had to climb a ridge that was between the gully and me, got clumsy and lost the deer. :(
Regardless of the cartridge, from the .243 to the .35 Whelen, and that includes the 7-08, put the bullet in the right place and sharpen the knife.
Paul B.

I have actually owned and loaded for 7mm-08
It is not gaining in popularity around here. Its just too close to the 308 which will always have an edge. Honestly it just exists because it scratches an itch for the guys who really like the 7mm bullets. Thats about it.
If you want a real upgrade from 308, try the 270WSM. I absolutely love mine. The only downside is one less in the mag. But do you really need that fourth shot in 90% of hunting situations. I am shooting 130 gr. Sierra Pro Hunters at 3300 fps. That is 400 fps faster than 7-08 with the same felt recoil. You can hunt point blank out to 400 yds.

Back