71 Year Old Woman Posts sign Threat.

That is a nice sign. Hope she gets to keep it there.

Maybe addd the one says her neighbor dont belive in guns.....

Unlike what many think who have never lived here, Texas is far from a homogeneous place. Depending upon where you are, there may very well be citizens, police officers, and prosecutors who are just as intent on pursuing every possible avenue against a citizen using a firearm for self-protection as any you'd find anywhere else. Lufkin, where the woman in question lives, is not generally such a place, but it is becoming far more urban than many might understand, and with urbanization comes urban attitudes.

Personally, I think such signs are counterproductive. Firearms are valuable and you've just told a potential burglar you possess something he can readily pawn. Not only that, you've made sure that if he does choose to enter your premises, it will be with the understanding that he faces a lethal threat and will likely act accordingly (ie shoot you immediately upon entry, before you have much chance to react).

The other downside is that should you actually shoot a burglar, you may face not only a criminal jury that will consider that you may have prejudicially elected to shoot another person, not because he/she was a threat to you, but because you were ****** off. And then you'll probably have to do so in civil court too, even if you prevail at grand jury/trial.

Might I suggest that stealth is generally the armed citizen's best strategy for home defense? The less you do to call attention to yourself and your property, the less likely you are to have to defend either.

I offer this tongue in cheek solution: In the unlikely event that she actually blew an intruders head off and a prosecutor filed against her she'd probably be best off just pleading guilty and letting Rick Perry pardon her. She'd get her revenge on the intruder, Rick Perry gets loads of good publicity and the streets are rid of a scumbag. It's win-win.

I wish I lived in Texas.

cmss said: Might I suggest that stealth is generally the armed citizen's best strategy for home defense? The less you do to call attention to yourself and your property, the less likely you are to have to defend either.

I agree. Although my house is surrounded by "I'm wired" signs, it isn't the same as what you are referring to. Besides, you live in Orange, rather close to Lufkin. I had a cousin who lived there, oil man. My wife is from Lake Charles. And at least, the Piney Woods are not on fire right now, near as I can determine.

Lawnboy said: I wish I lived in Texas.

Wherever you currently live, it could be better there right now. Ah Texas, neck deep in water and chokin' on the dust.

Cordially, Jack

Last edited:
Back