700 but not a 700

Why 270-08? Seems like an ok round, but bullet selection is limited, compared to 6.5 & 7mm. How is it better than 270 Win? As a side note, it does have good brass available which is important.

Nathan, think of it a 6.8spc if it used a larger case. Before going to a 6.5 or 7mm bullet, I’d go to a 6mm. Why you ask? Probably because I have 4 .243’s already. But on a serious note, I believe a short action .270 would be a awesome all around cartridge. Plus you can find bullets from 95gr up to 150gr from Sierra to Speer to Nosler to Hornady. That sounds like a pretty good selection to me. Especially since I already have most of those in my inventory already lol.

mxsailor803 P.O. Ackley wrote good things about the .270-08. I must say the .277 Creedmoor has crossed my mind a few times. 1:8 twist barrel with a M700 short action with Wyatt's magazine and some 170 grain Berger EOL Hunter bullets sounds like a lot of fun. I'd simply be using the Creedmoor case to give me better bullet seating options.

Well, let me give you my reflections....

I have a medium to long range traveling deer rifle built on a Win 70 action, Brux barrel, B&C stock in 300 Sherman. First, I think this rifle will make me plenty happy.

I do wonder if I should have built on a Zermatt Origin, AICS mags and 6.5-06AI/280AI/300 PRC in a McMillan.

My realist ranges are only going to be at most 300yds with most being 150yds or less. If I was planning on longer ranges, I’d definitely go long action build.

Back