7.62x39 head scratcher

Hornaday, Fiocchi, Sellier&Bellot, Federal all make 7.62x39 but at the prices you pay for brass cases that are boxer primed. If I wanted to spend that kind of money on this caliber I would have picked up a Mini-30 to feed it to. No problem though, I don't think the cheap stuff will go away entirely but if it does it will eventually be back or other manufacturers will pick up the role. Until then, I ordered another case of Wolf and Silver Bear to hold me over a while if it does get pretty thin.

Russian ammunition is not included in the sanctions. Only select companies that were financially tied to the government were included. All of the former government owned ammunition companies over there were sold off to private owners and are not sanctioned, including the big ones like Tula Cartridge Works, Vympel, Klimovsk, Barnaul, etc...

It's simply a minor run on ammo due to elections coming up and some panic related to the EO's.

Cabela's might have separate issues in play. They are in talks to sell out to Bass Pro Shops, and I suspect the Herter's store brand ammo line they sell might be a casualty of that buyout. They just had an online clearance of steel case 7.62x39 Herters yesterday and sold it for nearly half price. It sold out within an hour. They also have brass cased Herter's on sale but the prices are still not what I would call cheap.

We currently have dozens of open POs for Herter's 7.62x39 ammo coming in from Serbia (probably brass) totaling over 6,000,000 rounds...just waiting for the boats...

Very good!! Probably just a bit of a supply lapse.
Just struck me a bit unusual, I have never seen Cabelas without it and as of yesterday they still are. It certainly is available on-line though.

Back