7.62x39 Bolt Rifle

I have had my CZ 527M for several years - FINE little rifle, does what I want it to all the time. Excellent, would recommend it highly to anyone looking for a 7.62x39mm bolt action rifle. Now CZ does state the 527M is made to take surplus steel case ammo, but mine seems to like my handloads just fine. ;)
The magazines are the only sticking point - I have what I believe is the only 10 round CZ 527M magazine ever made, but it was a custom job, works great.

Well I finally got the rifle after fedex played games with it for 10 days (horrible story). It is a very nice looking rifle and has the new updated sights on it, barrel says it was made this year 2018. The 5 round mag is perfect for me, no worries there. The bolt was a little stiff but it is lubed up and slicking up nicely. The wood is just so-so walnut, nothing special but the over all fit and finish is great. I'm taking it out for it's first shoot this morning just to get a feel for it. Overall it seems like a high quality rifle that will last a life time if not more, CZ did a good job with this one.

I put CZ top of the line for style, walnut, function, accuracy and reliability (and value). I own quite a few Ruger and CZ. With Ruger American you get a low cost practical, plastic stocked gun with good customer service. Unfortunately you should expect the occasional lemon ruger with problems or that give up some accuracy. The CZ is a get what you pay for situation. They are more accurate, right across the board. Not always a lot or a big deal more but sometimes at lot, sometimes a little. CZ uses special rings. You get the rings for FREE, but they are not standard cross slot (weaver) style like Ruger uses. No more free rings from Ruger.

I dont know about Howa. I dont care for the Howa looks. Ugly even next to Ruger. Looks matter, right?

Both Howa and CZ make a mini action sized to the 223 & 762 rounds. The Ruger makes do with blocked off 308 size action.

Edit: Oh, jezzz, I am posting too late. Well, I read, the op got some good advise and went cz.

My Ruger American Ranch shoots an inch or a bit less at 100 yards with Hornady SST steel case.
Really like that rifle.

Last edited:
Back from the first range visit with the little carbine and it shot very well. I was expecting a lot more recoil from this lightweight rifle, but it's more like a firm shove at most. The only ammo I had was wolf military classic and I shot 40 rounds, not for groups but just to get a feel for the rifle. I didn't use the set trigger at all, I want to get use to and break in the rifle first. The regular trigger is a bit too firm for my liking, so it will need to be adjusted down a bit. I had several water jugs and clay targets at 100 yds and hitting them was not an issue with the open sights. I must say I am rather impressed with this little carbine and it's definitely a keeper. I hate to say it, but I think this could easily be my favorite rifle with a little more range time. The sights on it are pretty much dead on out of the box, so no issues there. My only complaint would be the LOP on the stock and it's more of a problem with me than the stock. I'm shorter and I prefer a shorter LOP. Easily fixed with a 1" trim job and limbsaver recoil pad, which I'm in the process of doing right now. I need to get some different ammo and try it out and see what she likes. I have a DIP scope base and a Nikon 2-7x33 scope which will be mounted in the future. But for right now I'm enjoying the open sights and this little carbine very much.

The CZ's are very nice for sure! I had two (223 and 7.62x39), but ended up selling them. They are beautifully made, have superb triggers, but the safety got me. I recently bought my son a RAR in 7.62x39 and it was so much fun we ended up buying another. As nice as the CZ was, I could not get used to the (For Me) backwards safety. I have grown up on Forward to Fire and all of my rifles work this way. I also prefer the magazine of the Ruger. I would love to see a nice wood stock come out for the Ruger.

Congrats on your new rifle and enjoy it.

((( IMHO ))) The CZ 527 Bolt Action Rifle in 762X39 is just about as good as it gets. And You will be hard pressed to find a better rifle. I have had one for several years now and shoot it a lot. And use it for just about everything. And I like it more every time I use it.
ken

Thank you all for your replies and knowledge on these fine rifles. After much deliberating and fussing back in forth, I just placed my order for the CZ carbine. The iron sight and walnut stock just calls my name.

Haha you ignored all the advice and bought what you really wanted. Good for you!! And I happen to think you made the right choice. The CZ 527 Carbine is my favorite bolt action gun, and I own 20 or so including some high end stuff.

You'll love it.

Back