7.62 NATO Israeli Mauser....308?

I owned one for a short time in the early 90's.
The barrel was new and the weapon had not been fired after it was converted.
It was not acurate enough at 100 yards to keep my interest,

Jim

What keeps your interest is what keeps your interest, but with a new barrel, it ought to be acceptable. Did you really give it a fair evaluation? Might it not have been the ammo?

Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy in the Phillippines who was disgusted with the poor accuracy of his Steyr SSG. Wouldn't shoot worth beans. Was about to sell it cheap...

A friend talked him into trying some match ammo. All he had been shooting was Phillipine surplus GI ball ammo. BIG DIFFERENCE! The rifle was exceptionally accurate with the different ammo.

it can make all the difference.

The 4 surplus rifles I was most disapointed in over the years were as follows.

The Israeli 308 Mauser.

A P-14 Eddystone .303. Grrr , loved that rifle but it would not shoot!

An A3 03 Springfield.

A Lee Enfield .303 WW2 ERA Australian manufactured #3, unfired.

They were all rebarreled except for the Lee Enfield III which was unfired.

I can't remember what ammo I fired through the 308 Mauser. I would have tried at least a few different manufacturers before giving up.

I was heavily into reloading rounds and buying rounds for .303. Those two 303rifles above had no excuse.

The 30-06 -- I tried several good type of rounds.

All the weapons wouldn't fire a 6" group at 100 yards bench rested.

Some of my favorites were the Swedish Mausers and my Lee Enfield # IVs.

The Irish contract # IV's Lees were spectacular. The one I scoped would shoot 3/4 groups with my accuracy hand loads.

I have 4 of those :) one unfired.

I can not tell you why I had such bad luck with rebarreled surplus rifles.

The A3-03 was arsenal done - as was the 308.

I dunno?

None were two groove barrels.

I had an International Harvester M-1 a local gunsmith rebarreled and it was spectacular!!

While the dreamer in me wants to believe there are no bad barrels (you can always do things to "fix" things), the fact is that there are bad barrels.

And there are ok barrels that just don't shoot well because of something you can do something about.

And you never know which one is which until you start shooting them.

you might be a bad barrel magnet, just because you can recognize a bad barrel!

I've got a 1917 dated SMLE (No1MkIII???) that came to me with an extra barrel, because the guy said the one on the rifle was bad.

That bad barrel put 5 shots of Rem factory ammo in 1.5" @ 60 yds, from a kneeling position, with ME shooting it. Guess we had different definitions of bad...

There are a lot of good reasons for a "bad" barrel.
  • Bore not concentric with outer diameter
  • improper stress relief during manufacture
  • worn out throat, dinged muzzle crown
  • oversize bore
  • rifling that slows down towards the muzzle
  • heavy fouling
  • chamber not cut true with bore
  • chamber threads cut uneven
  • barrel shoulder not true with receiver face

All of those can add up fast to make a barrel that is almost impossible to get decent accuracy out of.

Jimro

Back