686 sold out...but ammo sold out for longer?

1. No safety to mess with
2. Better Cylinder release
3. Stronger Frame
4. Better grip
5. Cheaper Price
6. More available
7. Front sight that is easy to change.
8. More reliable action design
9. Stronger lock Up
10. Ruger support

I'm sure I am missing some but here was a quick 10. While a smith may be a bit slicker out of the box, Ruger is a solid gun that for some would be just as good if not better!

A short story. When I was a kid I had a Ruger Single-6. My buddies all had H&Rs, IJs and imports. The S-6 was like a target gun compared. When 14 I traded into some guns. One was a S&W K22 NIB. Had no interest in it. DA like H&Rs, ect. didn’t want to shoot it and make used gun out of it for trading. Buddy bugged me until we shot it. Has been my main serous 22 since 1964. I then started liquidating my Rugers Black Hawks and replacing with S&Ws. The difference is night and day. At the time a k22 was about twice the price of a Single -6, $100. That was serious money at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

, RC What makes your GP better than a 686??? Never saw a Ruger as good as an S&W.
I’ve been a Smith guy for well over 35 years and just picked up a GP100 a couple years ago. The trigger was heavy but fairly smooth and no stacking. I took it apart and polished the internals, got a spring/shim kit from Trigger Shims.com and installed the lightest springs that were still reliable and installed proper shims and it’s a marvelous little revolver. DA is as good as my best Smith and better than most of them, and SA is almost as good as any of them. Since 95% of my shooting is DA I love this thing. The only issue is the reset, you have to release the trigger all the way due to a false reset in DA. This only bothers me after shooting my semi’s a lot where I tend to be more conscious of the click when they reset. But if I’m shooting the GP only then I’m slapping the trigger properly and don’t have a problem with the false reset. So for a couple hours elbow grease and about $30.00 in parts it’s a keeper.

I agree with jetinteriorguy. I love my Smith's. Also love my Rugers. in DA out of the box Smith wins. Better trigger. My Ruger fits my hand better and seems less harsh with the same loads. With a bit of work, Rugers can outshine them handily. I think the 686 gets more attention because with target grips, its a much sharper looking gun than the GP. Classic lines, etc.

If we are including S&W locks then we need to include those cheesy sleeved barrels on the new GP 100's.
Say what you want, it smells of cheap to me.

I have a 686 PC 4" and GP100 4" match. I prefer the 686 over the GP100 and they're both excellent firearms. The GP is my wifes favorite and I load 38 SP for her as she is not a big fan of the mag recoil and fortunately I'm still sitting on about 400 SPP primers. Not sure when I'll be able to restock tho'.

Since the post I got a 686 Plus in 4" from northwest armory for their normally priced price. (under 700).

Last week I bought 4 boxes of American Eagle 357 JSP off the Federal website for outrageous price of $40. I have bought Underwood 357 Gold Dots off ammoseek (still up) for normal $20 for 20 price. Underwood has had 357 in stock this week for normal pricing. I have also purchased a half case of Fiocchi from Selway at 30 for a box of the 357 142fmj.

It's coming back. They just don't make 357 at the levels of 9mm.

Strangely, Federal raised their American Eagle 9mm prices this week by $2 but 9mm is coming in like crazy. This week I got a couple of 9mm case 124gr stuff all under 20 bucks. Federal's website was once the cheapest, now it is mid to high price for AE. Speer (owned by Federal) also jumped the price of Lawman by even more. Currently at $36 a box (which by the way, bugger off Speer/Federal for that pricing).

Scored a ton of normal priced 9mm Winchester off Cabela's website yesterday and it has already shipped. Normal price.

Summer. It kills ammo sales every year. Hope it brings up 357 production and hoses all the ammo resellers. Hope every single company that gouged us sits on millions of boxes of Russian steel crap.

Last edited:
Inventories are going up in my area - both second hand and new inventories. Prices on pistols are lower than revolvers. I've even found a couple 686 for sale.

Wait until she starts calling the shots from Airforce 1, the supply of guns & ammo will evaporate overnight.

These ARE the "Good old days"... enjoy your guns and shooting sports now. The prices will only go up as our rights diminish.

???

The ammo run is purely an American problem. The people that totally hosed the US ammo market has been old white men pretending they own a business by reselling everything they get their hands on.

The people that totally hosed the US ammo market has been old white men pretending they own a business by reselling everything they get their hands on.

As an old white man, I will simply say you are nothing but a young punk.

Don

The shooting sport will get better when scared old boomers stop imagining purpose to their life will return for some reason because they've hoarded a silly amount of ammo.

:D

I have been heavy into shooting and hunting my whole life. I had a hunting license since I was 6. My dad had me loading at 10. I would rather mow grass than load shotgun shells. My Dad was Trap Shooter. I also was in business for 20 some years and RVn Vet. You might say I lived the sport.
The point is the people that are buying up the ammo to resell are not really dedicated to the shooting sports. They are the same people that were scalping sanitizer and toilet paper. I think they are the same as looters. They are the same people that ruined gun shows when the rules were changed in the 80s allowing them to be turned into cash cows.
These people couldn’t get away with it without idiots paying crazy prices for guns and ammo.
Myself I have only bought 10 boxes of CCI SV 22s and 3 boxes of 45acp since 2008 election.
I won’t pay those prices. I’ve always shot to much to afford factory ammo. I don’t have a wife who is a Doctor to finance my shooting. I even cast most of my bullets for handguns.
I’m good to go not because I ran out and bought up ammo. It was because I always bought 22s, primers, powder and bullets bulk.
I closing I would say that the hoarders & scalpers come in all different ages and colors. Anyone who would try to make political points out of the situation is more than likely a Closet Liberal. It is easy to hide true identification on social media. Basement Babies and Liberal Trolls abound on shooting forums.

Rural King in Angola, Indiana yesterday had a butt load of 357 ammo. 50 round boxes for $37. Must have been 100 or more boxes.

They did not have any 9MM or 45 though.

Joe

"They are the same people that were scalping sanitizer and toilet paper. I think they are the same as looters." DRM50

It's called Capitalism. In this Country, one has a right to turn a profit, at least that's the way it used to be. :rolleyes:

"Liberal trolls", "Closet Liberals",... says the guy who is against free enterprise. :confused::D:D:D

Last edited:
Back