686 chip/ding in cylinder

Ya'know, what caught my eye was not the chip on the cylinder rim, but the machining marks on the extractor star!
Oddly enough, the machining marks on the extractor star don't bother me at all. As matter of fact, I actually think they look really neat; even pretty in a way. Haha.

Anyway, I put 100 rounds through my 686 today and she fired perfectly. No exploding muzzle, no exploding cylinder, etc. I can finally say that, after removing the "shiny new gun" aura from my 686, the dings and marks on it don't bother me in the slightest now. Thanks, everybody, for trying to put a moron's mind at ease! :)

I would stone the sharp edges off the cylinder ding so it didn't "catch the fingernail" and go shooting.

Any stoning or filing of the burr is going to enlarge the blemish....period. If there is a sharp edge that needs to be smoothed, I'd try peening it first.

You know, I hear what you are saying but you are excluding from thought those of us who doesn't carry a massively heavy, $700+ revolver. My 686 is for range use beauty.

This isn't an LCP or P365 that will have scratches--which I hard chromed my LCP, so maybe I am soft...

Resale would suffer from that, because everyone who has comment here would use that scratch against the seller or not even purchase 2nd hand that revolver because of that mar....

You know, I hear what you are saying but you are excluding from thought those of us who doesn't carry a massively heavy, $700+ revolver. My 686 is for range use beauty.

This isn't an LCP or P365 that will have scratches--which I hard chromed my LCP, so maybe I am soft...

Resale would suffer from that, because everyone who has comment here would use that scratch against the seller or not even purchase 2nd hand that revolver because of that mar....

For the most part, a new 686 is a $700+ OTD revolver. The reduction in overall value due to those two slight dings is minimal if any. Iffin cosmetics are such a big concern, then one should use more caution before taking it home with them.

Back