• Anaconda 8"

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • S&W 610 6.5"

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • S&W 686+ 6"

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well a third of the problem is solved. I picked up the 657 last night and the 686+ is gone. After three weeks of me picking it up and manhandling, someone finally decided to adopt it. I am still trying to decide between the 610 and the Anaconda though.

UltimaSE, I will let you know about the Anaconda next week when I go in there and make my decision.

Well the 657 is going back, it has a pretty good cosmetic defect. The "ear" (for the lack of a better word) behind the cylinder which is part of the frame is bent back. It was either cast wrong or had the living hell beat out of it with something. I can see no dent from where something hit it and it really blends in (I didn't find it till I started to clean it). If I can lay my hands on the digital camera here at work I will post it. I did shoot it last night and I am now a .41 fan..................

Anaconda Vote Here

First, what will this gun be used for? I would like a 6-1/2" SW 610, but can't stomach the cost these days. I love the 10mm round. Someday I will own a 610.

I have and love my Anaconda (8"). I will agree the trigger is not near the feel of a S&W, but the rest of the gun is a lot stronger. Check out the top straps. I have had 300gr FP bullets out of that Anaconda travelling at about 1400-1500fps (based on a 6" barrel estimate) that shot flat out to 100 yards. And talk about a great "felt-recoil". The gun's so bulky that it was surprisingly pleasant.

686 - have owned two and they convinced me to stay away from 357 mag. After an afternoon at the range, the extractor would lock up the cylinder, usually couldn't even get the cylinder opened. A couple different gunsmiths seemed familiar with this 686 problem. Supposely, some blowback from the round will start building up and eventually push the extractor enough out of position to lock up the cylinder. Their solution, clean it more regularly. After a day were one box (50) of ammo locking the cylinder of a CLEAN gun, I moved on to 44 magnum and autos.

1. Anaconda
2. 610
3. 686

jakester,

Like I stated in the past post, the 686+ is gone so I don't have to worry about that part of the decision any longer. However the Anaconda still exists and the 610 does too. I am going out of town today but next week I will have to make up my mind.....

I guess my problem is like a bad drug problem. I see something interesting (new gun) I have to buy it just to try it which is often based on the opinions of people I don't even know (TFL). Then afterwards I can't shake the problem (I never sell or trade a gun) but I still have to explore other avenues of enjoyment (newer guns).

I left that really out of the previous post but of the massive experience of 12 rounds I got off last night......I really like .41's. It to me had the same kick of a 357 (I am very recoil tolerant if someone needs something to base that statement on) but the bullet appears to be a .44 in size. The muzzle flash was next to nothing (the sun had set about 45 minutes earlier). The HKS speedloaders worked great also as did the PMC 210gr loads. My damn dealer had only three different types of 41 loads. With a .44, .45, two 9mm's and .41 I really need to get into reloading.......

You do have to get into reloading. :rolleyes:

I couldn't afford to shoot 10mm, 44 mag, or 9mm JHPs all day long unless I reload.

I don't worry about how much ammo I have but how much time I can spend at the range shooting it.

657......and 610

Well I discovered that my 657 is not damaged but made that way - that's what I get for never firing a S&W and yes I am now officially a dumba$$. Anyway to redeem myself, I also purchased the 610 that I was comparing it against for a measly price of $435. Two Smiths in less than a week......yes I have a problem but I don't need a cure.

Jakester,

The Smith & Wesson model 686 requires that
the user clean out the debris that accumulates
under the extractor "star". This is a common
problem that occurs after continous use, in
any revolver. That's why I always have an old
toothbrush in my range bag; just in case this
happens to me.:D:) Don't let it get to the
point of binding the cylinder!!!:(

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

jtduncan,

Based on your signature, I am going to assume you have the same problem I do......too many calibers, so little time.

Kobra

That's a good price on the 686+ at $399 if its new. The cheapest I have seen them in the PRK is $459.

The 686+ wasn't new and was well used. However it was tight as hell still but it's gone which is okay because my checkbook is still smoking from the 657/610 experience and somewhere in a remote building in the middle of nowhere..a little red light is flashing by name on a computer screen which keeps track of gun purchases...or at least I like to think crap like that.

S&W 686 Concern

I have owned 2 SW 686's. One was a standard 686, the other a 686 Classic Hunter with the unfluted cylinder. I sold both over frustration with extended shooting. They would both lock up the cylinder after about 100 rounds or so. Talking with the "available" gunsmiths at the time, they said that the 357 had a tendancy to allow powder to build up under the extractor plate. This eventually locked the cylinder. Hate to have that happen sometime when I needed the gun. I have owned several S&W 29/629's without this problem. I currently own an Anaconda 8" and love it. No, it does not have a S&W quality trigger, but it is a much stronger gun. I bought it for "Fun" reloading, hence firing it as a single action. I have put some 300gr bullets downrange at 240 gr velocities and it shot flat at 100yds. Intended to someday take it hog hunting.

Personally, I'd get the 610 for two reasons: 1) I love the actions on S&W revolvers, 2) I love the 10mm round.

Back