• S&W 610 6.5"

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • S&W 686+ 6"

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kobra

Damn I need some advice here:

Tomorrow I pick up my new S&W 657 at the dealer. This is not the problem.

The problem is in shopping around for this 657 I found a pristine:
Anaconda - $474
S&W 610 - $519
S&W 686+ - $399

I am kinda on a revolver binge here if you see and I have a bug for all but the money for only one (really shouldn't buy any but I have problem).

Which one would you guys pick?

Hello All,

I voted for the 686+, cuz the .357 magnum
is still the most flexible caliber out
there; from 148 grain .38 Special HBWC's
and 158 grain L-SWC's on up thru all the
jacketed .357 magnum rounds. I particullary
like the 125 grain jacketed "flame thrower's"
shot from a 6" barrel .357.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

MOLON LABE!!!

Definatly go for the 610. They are sweet shooting revos and they have lots of power witht he right loads also.

I'd go for the 610. My Anaconda has been a huge disappointment, with a trigger nowhere near that of my worst Smitty. The 686+ is a fine gun, but I am somewhat skeptical about seven- and eight-shot wheels (they seem to be prone to timing problems). The 610 is a solid design in a stomping caliber, probably the best possible 10mm launch platform.

compareing .357 with 44 mag???
get the colt anaconda.unlike the previous response my anaconda had a fantastic triger and they are selling for alot more that you can buy that one for so jump on it.

GP-100 OR the RedHawk

Yep can't beat the ruger.GP-100 Full Lug Stainless 6" Barrel

TonyZ

So Many Guns and Not Enought Time.

I like my 6 inch Anaconda very much. However, I feel that a .357 is much more versatile (ie, cheaper) than the .44. If you want something that you're going to shoot a lot, go with the .357, but if you want something that is a little more fun but more expensive and less accurate because of the kick, get the Anaconda.

Regarding the 686, I was seriously considering one but found a great deal on a Python. I like it a lot, but the 686 is nice too. I also went against the S&W because of the political considerations, but that wasn't the main reason. Regarding the 610, I always considered a 10mm an auto round. If you're getting a wheelgun, the .38, .357 and .44 are classics.

Hard choice,no way to get 'em all,huh? I was faced with the same delicious dilemma a few weeks ago. Told my girlfriend we weren't going out for a month and...Went over real big as she's an anti gun kindergarten teacher. Anyway,I'd go for the 686+ for all of the reasons previously mentioned with the Anaconda a close second. Just love the .357mag. round. I know the 10mm is a great round but mm and revolver doesn't click for some reason. Kinda like a peanut butter and jelly hoagie.
Ronin

If the Smiths are new, that makes the choice obvious. Get the Colt.

Smith and Wesson has not lifted a finger to negate the agreement, even though the government seems to be willing to let them. They don't deserve our support, they deserve our contempt.

If the Smiths are used, get the Anaconda. It's a classic.

Kobra:

I'm a buckeye so you can trust me. He he he.

Guy from the other side of the Ohio River - by way of Dayton OH.

Get the 610.

$519 plus tax. That's how much I paid for mine NIB a couple weeks ago. I also have that "problem."

This past Monday I bought a SW 625 in 45 ACP so I could get the maximium amount of time behind the SW trigger and still have real easy access to free range brass in 45 ACP. I haven't seen any 357 mag, 41 mag or 44 mag brass on the floor in four months but 45 ACP is always on the floor with 9mm too.

I also had a good line on an Anaconda used but the Python is the best Colt makes. But there are some Anaconda fans out there.

You could get a 686 but they are all over the place used. You can always find one. I just turned down a nice SW Performance Center 357 mag with an 8" tube and a bull barrel for under $700. It was a cops and the thing was dirty and all that.

BUT 6.5 inch 610s have been discontinued for the short 4" versions. 10mm at it upper mid and upper end loadings is not a great comp round in 4 inches. That is a snappy gun. But fast back on target. But the 6.5 inchers are great for competition, target and hunting.

And, check the ballistics charts, the 10mm round shoots flatter at 70 and 80 yards than the honored 44 mag round. Of many of the big bore calibers, the 10mm has the smallest drop at longer 50/80/100 yard distances.

And I just found out that the State Dept of Wildlife just went on TV advising hunters of the feral pig/hog problem just 2 hours away. Can you can 610 = pork, ham, and ribs!!!

:D

I was really hoping you guys were going to make this very easy decision.

I am really leaning towards the 610 because no one I know has one nor has ever shot one. The Anaconda is a close second eventhough I already have one but that is a damn good price in my limited experience. I can always purchase a 686+ (or GP100)later because S&W (and Ruger) still makes those.

I will update you guys after the purchase.

If you haven't shot a revolver with moon clips, you're in for a real treat with the 610.

Real fast reloads.

No more speedloaders to auto dump your cases or that you have "twist" the right way.

Why else are competetive shooters getting moon clip conversion on their favorite revolvers?

If you reload 10mm you're in the promised land, light plinking loads just as soft as 40SW all of the way up to 650+ fpe smack down loads.

You can work up some loads from 135 grainers for a round shooting like 9mm +P+ or 40SW, 155/165 for plinking, 180s for deer, to 220 grainers for hogs.

Try hunting hog with a 357 mag. Deer only gun. Not enough if you want to drop that one on the first shot. Then you just start destroying the meat. Oh no!

10 is a real deal friend.

Gosh thats a hard one.

I like 10mm, and S&W isn't making them anymore. However, it's really an auto cartridge. There are rimmed rounds for revolvers that do everything better than 10mm (357MAG, 41MAG, 44MAG).

That said, I would'nt go with an Anaconda if I wanted a .44MAG because I don't think they are very well made and I think they are ugly.

686+ is a good one too, if you don't have a 357MAG.

Given the choices, I'd say go for the cartridge you don't have. You've got a 41MAG, which IMO is close enough yet superior to 10mm. If it were me I'd do the 686+.

I voted for the Colt because I want one myself:D and I already have a 686+. The price on the 610 seems like it's probably new? Find it used and let me know if you don't want it...cause I do.

If you don't jump on that anacondia maybe you could send me the information as my gf has been looking for one, and that's a very good price.

UltimaSE

For the money, I voted the 686. I would hope it's a pre-agreement arm.

I was holding a friend's Anaconda for a while. That huge-barreled wheelgun I figure was even more useless than an HK 91. Heavy and unwieldy.

One could most likely buy 2X 686's for what
one Python would cost?:D And heck, you sure
as hell won't wear out two 686's in a normal
lifetime.:)

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back