686 3, 4, or 6" barrel length

One of the reasons I posted the photos of the three Ruger Security-Sixes was to illustrate that it all depends on the make and model of gun, too. I'd rather carry a Security-Six 6-inch on the trail or camping than a 4-inch GP-100 because the balance of a GP-100 is terrible when compared to the 4-inch Security-Six or the S&W 66 4-inch.

Even tho the GP-100 is a ccouple of ounces lighter than the 686 (because Ruger removed some steel from the grips and added it to the barrel), the 686's balance is better. But both feel like boat anchors compared to the earlier guns. And while the weight helps in steadying the muzzle, it's primary benefit is during the brief time the guns are being fired, not in the long periods the guns are being carried.

If one needed the gun for hunting or defense, I doubt the small increase in accuracy or the slight decrease in repeat shot time would make the haul worth it the hauling effort. I'd rather be able to get the gun from its holster and pick up the target quickly than to have to worry about excessive weight on the barrel.

So if this is going to be a range gun and done defense, a 6-inch 686 would be fine. But if it's going to be spent outdoors, I'll take a pristine Ruger Security-Six. Oh, and I just remembered, S&W has reintroduced it's 66, but with a somewhat reinforced frame and forcing come.

I'd give serious consideration to that one! Ruger, also, is introducing it's Match Champion, a lighter .357. I'd go with the Smith, though.

The S&W Combat Magnum was reviewed in a recent article in
Guns & Ammo's Handguns magazine.

Last edited:
For carry and target................... A four inch.
Nothing but target............a six inch!
At least that's what I like best??:D

Most people on this forum are non-LEOs and thus will be using their revolver mainly for target shooting and home defense. I would not imagine most of us are going to be walking around a lot with the gun in a holster.

Assuming the above, in my opinion the 6" S&W 686 beats the 4 incher hands down. The extra two inches of barrel impart a superior sight radius that translates into better shooting at the range and more accuracy in a home defense/self defense situation.

I have 4 and 6 inch 686s as well as 4 and 6 inch GP100s. The six inch barrel is my favorite for my intended uses -- shooting at the range and having on hand for self defense.

Nothing wrong with a four inch barrel 686 and I have one. It is a terrific handgun. If someone just feels better with a 4 incher, i.e. balance, etc., then have at it. But for most of us I think that the 6" is the better choice.

I might add that the extra barrel weight is a big help when firing .357 magnum rounds.

I have a preference for my 4" 686. There are good reasons for selecting one or both of the other barrel lengths.

It would not surprise me if balance and handling was not the reason S&W chose the 4" for the Mountain Gun. I have a Mountain Gun in .45 Colt and like it brethren the 4" barrel 686 has good balance. Even with it being an N Frame, the Mountain Gun is about an ounce lighter than the L Frame 686 until they are loaded. Then the 686 is about and ounce less due to the weight of the ammunition.

If I were to carry, I would choose my Model 66-2 with a 2 & 1/2" barrel in K Frame. I am not a large person, and neither the L or N frame revolvers are easy to conceal on my person.

In my view, the 686 is more fun to just take out shooting in .357 magnum than my lighter, shorter barrel 66.

I would go with the 3" barrel, but that's me. An L frame with the nice sights supplied can allow for some pretty good shooting even with a short tube.

I have a 4" 686, 4" Colt Python and a 6" Colt Python. I mentioned the Pythons because they will usually fit the same holsters as the 686. The 4" will be the most versatile. It is easier to carry than the 6" also it is nearly as accurate at distances out to 50 yards as the 6". The 6" can be carried concealed in the right holster and the right clothing but the 4" is more forgiving in the concealment area. I have designated my 686 for home defense duty while I usually carry my 4" Colt Python when in public (concealed in cool weather and open in hot weather). BTW open carry is legal in Virginia without a permit and is available to anyone who is legal to own a gun including non-residents. If you choose the 4" 686 I'm sure you will be pleased with it. For strictly hunting or target shooting the 6" will slightly edge out the 4". Enjoy your 686, mine has saved my bacon more than once while doing night time mobile private security patrols.

WBBlazer,

The title of this thread includes 3-inch 686s but you never ask about it.

The Hickok45 video supplied by Riverrat38 will give you an idea about
the 3-inch 686 which is my preference.

However, don't overlook one of Smith's other 686 offerings, namely the
Pro Series 686 with 5-inch barrel. That's right, neither 4 nor 6 but right
in between. One advantage of this model is the lightened barrel which
helps make the gun less front heavy compared to the 6 inch and even,
I dare say, the 4-inch.

But again, the 3-inch is my preference. At my age that barrel length is
just right for my close in or slightly longer shots.

I prefer the shorter barrels. Picked up these two only a couple of months ago, 686+ and Model 19.

pairof357s.jpg

As others have said, it really depends on what you'll be doing with it. In the general debate between four and six inches, I personally prefer splitting the difference. The 5" models are rarer but I feel like they offer the best of both worlds. If a barrel needs to be shorter than 4", then I probably won't be using .357 anyway.

I've had my S&W 686 (pre-lock) for more than 20 years and it's a 4" bbl version.
(Also still has the original wood (goncalo alves wood) grips...

With the full underlug, I find it balances well and is very controllable with .38 Spl, .38 Spl +P as well as full .357 magnum loads.

At ranges out to 25yds, I don't think the 4" really gives up that much to the 6" bbl version.
(As a side note - my father has a 6" bbl M66 - also pre-lock - and I find that it just tends to feel more barrel/forward heavy than even my M686.)

If you can get that great deal on the 686 Plus with the 4" bbl, then go for it - you won't regret it...

-Mike

The only good answer is BOTH.

But seriously, I carry a 5" 1911. My revolvers are just for fun. For that, my 6" 586 is perfect. It's such a joy to shoot.

I own a 3" and a 4" 686, but 7 shooters. The 4" is my bedside gun, while the 3" is my favorite all around gun for conceal carry. I tend not to go for guns that are muzzle heavy, so 6" 686s aren't my cup of tea (I prefer 6" partial lug revolvers like the 19 and 66).

The 3" 686 also wears Ahrends boot grips. Makes for a fairly compact, very concealable, potent package.

Back