666...er 777

salvadore

Since I had some left on a gift card and had read how triple seven was so easy to clean in my c&b revolvers, I bought a pound, then read what I could do with it. Anyway the powder appears useless for me since it has a steep pressure curve and little data. I have to stop doing my own thinking.

Not so easy to clean M/L propellant

I have to stop doing my own thinking.
You are not the first person to express such sentiments. The label clearly states; "Easy to clean muzzleloader propellant". Okay, compared to what? We tell our students not to always believe what you read. ..... ;)

Have provided input to local reloaders on using it in cartridges. Most have stopped using it and have donated their left over propellant and loading accessories. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

And don't use fillers, and we don't have data for conicals, and round ball loads for the 1860 Colt run less than 600fps...sorry my stupidity is appalling. Shoulda bought a pound of Pyrodex instead of a chemistry set.

Make a trade or sell outright to someone locally. That's what Craigslist is good for. Just don't do the deal at your residence. Meet some where's mutually agreed upon. Or use Hawg's advice. Either /Or> is a win win.

Easy to clean compared to what? Couldn't tell you.
BP subs and modern all require cleaning and they all seem to take about the same amount of effort.

compression during loading? Never paid any attention to it, I just load and compress as I do any other BP type powder, and never noticed anything different.

As to the 15% reduction. This has NOTHING to do with safety pressures.

Per hogdon paraphrased here.
777 is a bit more energetic, in that it may tend to produce more pressure.
So If you know that your current BP load of let's say 30 gr fffg produces for example 950fps at the muzzle in a 8 in barrel 1858 nma remingtonm and you hit the bullseye every time at 20 yd.
Then to get a similar reaction from 777 they suggest a 15% reduction in powder volume.

Personally I never really noticed the difference and I just load it the same way as always.

sometime people tend to over think things.

As to competition shooters?? I couldn't tell you as I no longer do that.

I will say my normal distance is 15 yds. My normal target, is a piece of 4x4 wood about 8 inches tall, mounted on end on a steel rod.
I hit more than I miss.
In this case i only have a 3 1/2 inch wide target. For me hunting or PSD that is good enough.

My son uses it in a muzzleloader .50, and its not nearly as dirty or corrosive as the Pyrodex I'm using in mine.

Been using 777 in a .44 cap and ball revolver exclusively for years.
Wouldn't use anything else.
It shoots cleaner than BP or Pyrodex without the sulfur smell.
What's not to like.
(It is still hygroscopic, though and requires cleaning same as always).
As for loading info, there's plenty of it available.
Just do a web search on the subject.
25 grains with round ball is just right.
If anyone doesn't want theirs, I'll take it.

Triple 7 has worked great in my .44 Pietta NMA, .45 ROA, and my .50 Lyman rifle.

I get the same group size and the same POI as I do with the same powder charge when using Olde Eynsford powder as T7 has been shown to produce very similar velocities as Olde E and Swiss powders using the same volume of powder.

Been using 777 in everything from .22, .44, .45, .50, .54 and 12 gauge. Never had any issues. It's no easier to clean up than anything else. But it is easy to clean up with HOT water.

Seems to work well with cap and ball revolvers, 209 primed rifles and shotguns and also in side lock rifles. The oldest of these guns were 70's vintage.

I've filled the chambers of an ROA as full as possible with 777 under a .457 round ball, no problems. Other than that I've stuck to the 15% reduction by volume.

Local stores have only three 'black' powders- 777, Pyrodex and 209. Real Black isn't happening here. Its what I can get and although not historically correct, it works.

Mod12, I'm not a spiritual type of guy, being offended is your choice and it is the great American past time. What I'm getting from the replies is you can use it just like BP, there is load data all over the net, reduce the loads by 15%... etc. I did find c&b data. on its site, with don't do anything different warnings. I've never reduced my Pyrodex loads and have used it since the 70s. I don't doubt that it works hunky dory in muzzle loaders, but it seems to suck in c&b. I appreciate the replies and hate auto correct.

Back