65 Pro-gun Democrats Oppose New Assault Weapons Ban

The 1994 ban started in the Senate and passed the House by a heftier margin.

No.

This is the house vote on the AWB. The vote was taken in May, 94. The AWB was a part of the Omnibus Crime Bill. The OCB was passed by the house by a much larger margin.

http://tech.mit.edu/V114/N26/ban.26w.html

http://www.armedfemalesofamerica.com/content/1117130864.html

The result was the bill passing by the narrowest of margins, with a vote count of 216 for the bill, 214 against and with 3 abstaining; it was numbered as one of the narrowest victories in legislative history. [8] Gun owners, divided by political infighting between weekend hunters (who see no need for assault weapons) and strict constitutionalists (who obviously do) were unable to effectively rally together for a common cause.

This is the house vote on the AWB. The vote was taken in May, 94.

Yes; but you are confusing two separate bills. H.R. 4296 passed the House but was placed on the Senate Calendar and never went anywhere and never became law. Instead, Senator Feinstein had already amended H.R. 3355 (The Omnibus Crime Bill) with the AWB and it passed the Senate and went to conference on November 19, 1993 (prior to H.R. 4296).

The House had already agreed to the Senate Amendment on 4/21/1994 and the Conference Report was filed on 8/21/1994. H.R. 4296 ended up being mostly symbolic.

The vote may have been symbolic. However, it is the vote that cost about 50 Democrats in the US house their seats in the 94 elections.

I emailed my representative to ask why his name was not on the list, even though the other MN rep is on it. Here is the reply i got.
Dear Mr. :

Thank you for sharing with me your opposition to any effort to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994. I appreciate hearing from you concerning this important issue.

During a recent news conference to announce the arrest of Mexican drug dealers, Attorney General Eric Holder stated that the drug cartels were obtaining high-powered weapons from U.S. gun stores and that the Obama administration supported reinstituting the ban on the sale of assault weapons which expired on September 13, 2004.

I voted against the weapons ban when it came to the House floor in 1994.

I am following this issue closely and expect to vote against a reinstatement of the ban should it come up for a vote in the House of Representatives.

As I continue to oppose efforts to undermine Second Amendment freedoms, it is good to know that I have your support.

With best wishes.

Sincerely,

James L. Oberstar, M.C.

JLO/jjr

i jsut finished letters to both Congresspeople from my state, Costello and Halverson. Costello is acutally from my district, and Halverson from an area know to be more anti gun then pro.

it's definitely worth our time to write a thank you letter to these folks in hopes that they'll understand our voice, and listen to it. plus, who doesn't like to get a pat on the back?

I wrote to both reps from my state. Then wrote another letter to the U.S. Attorney General Holder voicing my opposition to any new AWB after reading an article about how he's on board with Obama regarding 2A rights.

It sure does seem wrong that after all this time we have to write letters to politicians begging to help us keep our rights.

Back