65 Pro-gun Democrats Oppose New Assault Weapons Ban

SkySlash

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sixty-five House Democrats said Wednesday that they would oppose any attempt by the Obama administration to revive a ban on military-style weapons that President Bill Clinton signed into law in 1994 and President George W. Bush let expire.

The pro-gun Democrats, led by Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark., wrote Attorney General Eric Holder that they would "actively oppose any effort to reinstate the 1994 ban, or to pass any similar law."

Link to Article

This is fantastic news, and it really shows that our efforts on gun rights issues are not going unnoticed in Washington D.C.!

Keep up the good work, this is the kind of stand we need our representatives to be taking on our behalf!

-SS

I was/am a bit disappointed in Ross for voting to confirm Holder.

At least now he is standing by his guns. He has traditionally done very well fighting for gun rights (NRA A+). I'm glad to have him as my congressman.

Nathan

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I think it once again shows the need (as seen in this forum) to recognize that the struggle for gun rights cannot be confined/defined to one party or political ideology.

You guys in the districts represented need to write thank you letters ending with the phrase: Please advise how I may help in your reelection campaign

WildmoneytalksAlaska TM

Thanks for the link. I think it once again shows the need (as seen in this forum) to recognize that the struggle for gun rights cannot be confined/defined to one party or political ideology.

Couldn't agree more. Good for all of us.
For those in the know,,would these gents fit the model of the Blue Dog Dem of the south in earlier times?
elkman06

finally some good news!

dont let your guard down...we must keep pressure on our state reps. write them, only takes 20 mins. and please for the love of God join the nra or a likewise org.

Not to put down those Demo.... heck there were Rebubs that

also supported Holder... but I would questions the tern Pro-Gun Demos or even Rupublican...

they maybe more 'Pro-get re-elected' than pro gun.

This is the reason Pelosi slapped Holder down when he started talking about the AWB. She knows she doesn't have the votes and would look like a fool trying to bring back the AWB.

With 65 democrats voting against the AWB she would need to get 35 Republicans to vote for it. There would certainly be a few Republicans that would vote for this just based upon their districts but i don't think there are 35.

wonderful news!! This might slightly change the way I think of the Democratic Party. Maybe this will cause the prices to go down on Ars and 223 ammo :rolleyes:

Hopefully once word about this gets out it will take some of the fire out of the panic buying that's going on and will allow ammo availability to ease a bit.

I am, however, kind of disappointed that it was only 65 democrats.

Yes, that's a good number, but that's still less than 1/3rd of the number currently in the house and it still points to SIGNIFICANT problems with the Democratic Party as a whole.

Again, gun owners, advocates of the RKBA must become an independent bloc of voters that the Republicans cannot take for granted and the Democrats cannot cross except at their peril.

Hopefully once word about this gets out it will take some of the fire out of the panic buying that's going on and will allow ammo availability to ease a bit.

Nope.

Just had a guy come in and tell me that Obama is getting the army ready to go house to house to seize guns.

I turned to one of my buds standing there, an Army First Sar'nt and asked him if he was going to kick down doors and seize guns...

He smiled and said...only if they got collectable Colts and Winchesters, the hell with AKs and ther rest :)

WildhelphelpobummeriscomingAlaska ™

Happy Day!!!!

:) :) :)
they maybe more 'Pro-get re-elected' than pro gun
Probably true for a lot of them, but I'll take it!

wildalaska, I hope you're wrong. This is a very good thing. I feel like everyone has been hanging in limbo waiting for something to happen regarding this - and buying up everything before it does.
This has got to put people at ease, at least a little, which should calm the panic buying.

Also, I agree we should all be writing any of our representatives who were in on this.
There are two MN congressmen, not in my district unfortunately, who will be getting thank you letters from me.
The NRA will also be getting a new member next week.

There are more than 65 Democrats in the house who can be depended on to vote against an AWB. The figure is somewhere between 80 and 90.

The house vote on the 1994 AWB was 216-214.

177 Democrats, 1 Independent and 38 Republicans voted for the ban.
77 Democrats and 137 Republicans against the ban. The retiring Republican house minority leader voted for the AWB. His vote put the bill over the top. :mad:

You guys in the districts represented need to write thank you letters ending with the phrase: Please advise how I may help in your reelection campaign

HEY (loud whistle included), guys, gals, Wild's got something good here that seems ya'll are missing!

If you are represented by these folks, let them know you appreciate it! Heck, I'm even considering letting them know and I've got no vote for them! We can sit here and bemoan the potential conflicts, but if you really want to do "all you can" for the future, you gotta keep on these poeple. That includes when they are doing something good, not just the gripes!

Done. Just wrote a letter to my congressman who is number 4 in the letter. I have never voted for him before but this is definitely giving me something to think about for future elections. Keep in mind most Utah Democrats are likely more conservative than Republicans in the north east :).

Seeing as how I start most mornings in my favorite coffee shop which is about 2 blocks away from WI's capital building I went and dropped off my kudos letters this morning in person. I talked to one of their gophers and he seemed like he liked that somebody came to drop off a letter that didn't include negativity.

Back