629 vs redhawk

Typically I'm a Ruger guy, although I don't really have an issue with S&W, I do own one. My biggest gripe about the Redhawk is the trigger system, it's just not good. The trigger can be made better, but for the subpar trigger alone, I would opt for the S&W, or just go with a Super Redhawk. Hopefully Ruger decides to offer more caliber options on their new "Super GP100", which seems to mate the GP100 frame to a Redhawk upper, which is a great idea, let's just hope we start seeing .44 Mag and .45 Colt Super GP100's.
I agree. The Super GP100 would be great in other calibers, I just have no interest in an 8 shot 357. I like my 6 shooters to be 6 shooters.

Some cleanup work has been done on this thread.

For those who want to talk about 629s and Redhawks, this is a good place to do so. If you want to talk about reviving old threads, we don't have a place for that on TFL.

How much heavier Ruger compare to S&W?
Well I know that the Ruger GP-100 and S&W L-Frame 6 shots weigh the same with the same length barrel. This is something I noted years ago when S&W ran those silly ads comparing the L-Frame to the GP-100.

You know, the Ruger was compared to a piece of steak where thickness is supposed to count.

I'll put my SW 29-10 4" .44 up against a Redhawk pertaining to durabilty, any day of the week. I love Ruger, but S&W has slowly developed the model 29 into a pretty solid design over the years.

I love Ruger, but S&W has slowly developed the model 29 into a pretty solid design over the years.

S&W had to do something to them. All of them made in the Dirty Harry days were falling apart.

Hell, even my Ruger SBH was shooting loose until I remedied it too.

S&W had to do something to them. All of them made in the Dirty Harry days were falling apart.

Mine didn't. :D

Are you surprised when you put 100,000 miles a year (most of them at 100mph) on your car year after year, and your tires and engine don't last 40 years??

Smith 29s since the the early 1990s have an endurance package and are very durable . I shoot a lot of 44 magnums in my 629s and they hold up nicely. I also shoot a lot of midrange loads for the benefit of my hands! My older 29s get more midrange loads but I still shoot some full house stuff in them as well. The new 29s have better actions than ruger and are just more refined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back