60 yr old rookie with first gun permit needs advice

As mentioned, a good revolver is a great way to get started. Hard to muck up a revolver. Semis can be finicky to the newbie if you don't have a strong grip and end up "limp wristing". That can lead you to not trusting the weapon when it is the shooter's issue.

Welcome to the gun world! Your finances will never be the same!

Folks, I looked at two guns today after a week of shooting and shopping. One is a MP 40 Range Kit with an expensive holster, a speed bullet loader, and two extra magazines with a belt holder for them, all for 650 dollars. The other gun is an all black 38 special hammerless revolver for a concealed carry perhaps. Any thoughts on these two guns would be appreciated. The revolver is used and is 350 bucks. So additionally what are your thoughts on used guns in general? The more I learn, the more irritated I am with the Massachusetts laws, good lord! Those laws make me want to buy privately, used or from out of state but I'm sure of the legality of that. I also wish there was one site one could go to that really explained what one can and cannot do in Mass.

I agree with PetahW, I've owned plastic striker fired shooters but never got use to them.

I carry this guy or my Colt Cobra when I walk the dogs. I believe the fixed sighted ....M-642? with no hammer or sights to catch on clothing and a couple of speed loaders is the primo CCW.

Well, obviously a complicated question with thousands of possible answers and no right answer.

But I will say a couple of things, which I've repeated many times before, if you will take advice from a 44 year old who's been carrying since 1987...

1. First, the answer depends most highly upon your METHOD of carry (what it will be). The first sub-choice there is, Is it going to be the type of carry which (a) DOES, or (b) DOES not depend upon having a covering garment - As for (a), where a covering garment is required, where you live up north, this will work well in 3 of 4 seasons but not summer. Examples of (a) are strong-side belt-carry OWB, strong-side belt-carry IWB non-tuckable, cross-draw OWB, cross-draw IWB, shoulder rig. Examples of (b) are "Smartcarry", pocket carry, purse/man-purse carry or similar, fanny pack, ankle carry, strong-side belt carry IWB with "Tuckable". Then which of those specific choices is it going to be? Or which oneS if more than one? Generally, single stacks are better for ALL types except the OWB varieties under type (a) - where you have a covering garment, or purse/satchel carry. In those latter cases why not go with a 2-stack? You may end up doing what I and a lot of people do - get 2 guns for concealed carry (at least): one tiny single-stack one ("subcompact") for pocket carry or smartcarry for the late spring / summer / early fall, and one larger one ("compact" or "full-sized") for OWB or IWB belt carry for late fall / winter / early spring.

For the former category (summer carry), I'm looking to the Boberg XR9-L or Remington R51 or the new Walther slim one next (and have tried many different ones in that role in the past, including various Kahrs and a Taurus 709 SLIM - these were my favorites in that role so far).

For the latter (winter carry), I'm using a CZ 85 combat in 9x19 and happy with that, although I plan to get a C-Bob 1911 in 9x19 later for winter carry. And there are myriads of good choices for that role.

2. Shoot a lot of them by renting at range if you can before deciding - like others have said. Yes, I agree.

3. Very generally speaking, after owning quite a few, I gravitate toward quality metal guns: Specifically, CZ75 family & clones, BHPs & clones, 1911s, Sig Classic P series, and metal Kahrs -oh and believe it or not, Bersas. In plastic guns, I like Kahrs and Walthers and CZs and that's about it. XDs aren't bad. HKs are very good but oh so pricey. But admittedly, I've not tried all of them or anywhere near close to all of them. Glocks are junk. Ignore that advice you hear incessantly recommending them. I say again, JUNK (not on an absolute scale but at least relative to their price - they should be *maybe* $100 more than a Hi-point). And yes, I've had a bunch of them so I speak from experience. Yeah, yeah, attack me, I know - I'm entitled to my opinion, koolaid pervasiveness notwithstanding. Bottom line, if not on a tight budget, you can NOT go wrong getting a metal CZ or 1911 or Kahr (or Sig Classic P or BHP). If on a tight budget, look at the Bersa or Tri-Star CZ75 clone or other CZ75 clones (Tanfoglio Witness, etc). If you really want a lighter weight plastic framed gun, take a good look at offerings from Walther. But there are several other good options too. You also need to take into account which action type you like and prefer (or guess or THINK that you might like and prefer best)- SAO, DA/SA, true DAO, pre-sprung DAO, etc. This too depends upon method of carry. An SAO like a 1911 or BHP, for example is fine for OWB or IWB winter carry, but I want a true DAO or stiff pre-sprung DAO like a Kahr for crotch carry (i.e. smartcarry).

So the biggest thing to answer is, what will your method of carry be? Which I know is hard to answer without having carried before. But if it's smartcarrry, the answer is very different from strong-side OWB with covering garment, for example.

Chambering - doesn't matter - whatever floats your boat - pick one of the big 3 for starters, probably: 9x19mm, .40 S&W, or .45 acp. Maybe even 10mm if you run with 1911. They all have pros and cons. Oh, well, doesn't matter, EXCEPT do NOT get a .380. In my opinion, no need for this chambering at all any more except for the most extreme recoil-sensitive cases. It's both more expensive and weaker than 9x19mm, and the guns aren't any smaller, so why?

Oh, revolvers... I'm not a fan for concealed carry. Love revolvers for other uses like woods carry, but not for concealed carry, for two reason. Bulk of cylinder being one. PM me if you want more info on this. Having said that, a revolver *may* suit you to a "T", particularly if the type of carry is man-bag/satchel, fanny pack, or strong side belt OWB.

Oh, and as always, so much depends upon budget... Budget is so important. Answer these questions and I can help you a lot better:
1. You going to run with ONE gun or two for all concealed carry, year round?
2. Budget for the gun (or budget for both guns if the answer above is two), and are you willing to buy used, or new only?
3. What do you think your method of carry will be? Will you pick one method for year-round (like smartcarry), or two methods - one for summer and one for winter, and if so which? And if the answer is two methods, go back to question #1 again and tell us, do you want both methods to be able to accommodate your one and only handgun, or are you willing to get two - one for each method?
4. Do you think you have any action type preference: SAO, DA/SA, true DAO, pre-sprung DAO, revolver? If not, can you at least rule OUT any of these? Can you say, "I like any action type EXCEPT SAO" or "I like any action type EXCEPT revolver or true DAO" ?? Something like that?
5. Finally, not quite as important, but still important, what would you guess is the breakdown of use, roughly, such as say, for example: "100% concealed carry" or "80% concealed carry, 20% home defense", or "30% concealed carry, 60% home defense, and 10% fun range gun", etc.?

Obviously, answering open carry is a lot simpler than answering concealed carry. Still lots of choices, but not nearly as complicated as concealed carry. You've got a lot of inter-dependent factors like budget, carry method, preferred action, preferred brands, if any, preferred frame material (steel, alum, or plastic?), chambering choice, etc. For example on chambering choice, if you do happen to want 10mm or .357 sig, this greatly limits your choices, and is almost ruled out for pocket or smartcarry or other "deep concalment" (like tuckable IWB). In 10mm new market options, if you avoid overpriced junk, the only thing you've got is Tanfoglio and 1911s (and another half dozen options used including SW revolvers), but these are much much better suited to strongside belt OWB carry (well, ok, the 1911 is suited for IWB as well but not really smartcarry or pocket carry). But then what are you going to do in the summer? Wear a jacket over your t-shirt in 90 degree heat? Just not carry in the summer? Or what?

Big picture, without knowing more, if you want just a flat-out "do X, Y, and Z" recommendation: I'd say get two guns and two carry rigs ASAP. Get the first one first since summer is coming up now:

1. Get a SmartCarry holster for the summer (or "always carry"), and put in it either a Kahr PM9 or CM9 if you want light, or a Kahr MK9 or Rohrbaugh R9 if it doesn't have to be super light. Or a Taurus 709 SLIM if on a tight budget. If you always wear khakis and slacks not jeans, then you can sub out a good pocket holster for the smartcarry rig.

2. Get a CZ75 or 85 full-sized in 9x19 or .40 sw, or CZ 97 in .45 acp (or BHP or Sig or 1911 in chambering of your choice....), and get a quality leather holster with kydex lining for strong-side belt OWB carry. Be prepared to really shop around online to find a great holster that fits a CZ. Now, if you do NOT want to search the nooks and crannies for the right holster for a CZ, this is where you decide to get a 1911 and be done with it (either full-sized or commander or C-Bob or "compact" - commander slide/officer grip), since there are a million and one 1911 holster choices. Or with Sig Classic P series, quite a few too. [What I did for my CZ85 was to find a fantastic leather with kydex holster made for a 1911 and re-form it to my CZ by heating and re-heating the kydex inner until it formed around the CZ. Then I used epoxy and a release agent on the gun like you would a rifle bedding job to make it fit like the proverbial glove. But I digress...]

Oh, and get two or three carry belts from Looper leather after you get rig #2.

Last edited:
Folks, particularly Clyde, Dragline, Unlicensed et al, thank you so much for a veritable master class in handguns. I'm already frustrated at the limitations Mass law puts on one; would this be a decent deal:
I can buy an XD9mm and an XD9 sc both for 1500 dollars FTF, they didn't cost near that new, of course, so that's frustrating, but I countered with 1250 dollars, what do people here think of that deal? Thanks so much for any input. on this. I had hoped to get a nice Concealed carry and a larger gun for the range and pay tops around 1000 bucks together. Anyway, so I go to the well once more....!! pete

Pedro you cannot get Springfield handguns in MA. If that is an out of state deal an FFL will not be able to accept it or transfer it to you.

I would suggest looking into Smith & Wesson M&P semi-auto pistols as they have a number of Massachusetts compliant handguns. The 9mm Shield is a MA compliant model and is a small, compact, carry pistol.

right gun

I speak as an 83 year old gun nut since my early teens , retired Military combat vet and retired police officer, and all of the suggestions are applicable. In the simple form what do you want the gun for ????
target shooting, home defense, to carry.... all carry different views.

As indicated, try as many hand guns and calibers as you can. Take your time and in time you will find the right gun......

Any thoughts? I can buy an XD9mm and an XD9 sc both for 1400 dollars FTF, they didn't cost near that new, of course, so that's frustrating, but what do people here think of that deal? Thanks so much for any input. on this. I had hoped to get a nice Concealed carry and a larger gun for the range and pay tops around 1000 bucks together, is that realistic? thanks. pete

Yep, MA laws are among the worst in the nation, and most people don't even know it there.

The guns you are looking at will be fine.

I've found that at ranges most gun owners are quite friendly and if you offer the ammo, they'll let you shoot/try their gun.

Welcome to the world of the 2nd Amendment!

Folks, this has been a wonderful resource, I'm putting some of the suggestions right into action at MFS, etc.
But I need to go the well once more"
Which is a great shotgun for home protection?? Without paying a 1000 bucks.. and what kind of shells for same purpose? My brother says have the first one be birdshot and the next ones mean business, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Which is a great shotgun for home protection?? Without paying a 1000 bucks.. and what kind of shells for same purpose? My brother says have the first one be birdshot and the next ones mean business, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks

As for which shotgun, there are a million threads on this.

In summary, drop about $400 +/- on a Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500/590. Use 00 or 04 buckshot. Forget the birdshot, which is what 99/100 people will tell you.

Now that you have the hardware, you need to develop the software (eg. training).

Thanks, I'm on it, joined two local gun clubs, getting some private lessons, and will even be driving out to places like MFS to take the Utah LTC license class and rent as many handguns as possible.

What works for me

I've got the Ruger SP-101 in .38
It is a heavy, stainless steel, snub nose that is really easy to shoot well. That extra heft(26 oz empty)is twice the weight of many ultralite snubs. It makes a huge difference.
Modern .38 ammo is quite effective as a defensive load.
I just took my 75 year old aunt out to the range and she was able to shoot it quite well at 5-10 yards.

Back