6 shot snubbie 38

J- frames are very thin, my 36 with a 3 inch barrel is about an inch at its widest. It will fit in some of my 1911 holsters. I think that's why the 5 shot is more popular. Plus S&W pretty much owned the market for like 20 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I held out a long time, and finally got a Kimber K6s. DNK that much about their
1911s, but this snubbie is very well designed, with superlative sights, for it's
class. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? Only if you really appreciate a great purpose-made gun.

"Not saying it has to be a $2000 gun..."

You missed the point.
Restricting yourself to a $400 gun if a $500 product can do a better job is foolish, if you're doing it because you can tolerate the idea of losing a $400 gun, but you can't tolerate losing a $500 gun.

My point is that selecting a defensive tool based solely on how much you're willing to lose if you ever have to use it is not a valid consideration in the process.

You'll look at $450 products, but won't even consider something any higher, no matter how good it may be or how much more effective/efficient.

You set an arbitrary limit.
I think that's ill-advised & counterproductive if price is your primary consideration.
Denis

I don't see anything foolish about it at all. We all have to make decisions that we're comfortable with. I can get everything I need and want out of an EDC piece in the $400 range, so I see no need to spend more than that.

I agree with the notion that whatever meets your needs at whatever price you set is reasonable. I also believe that I look for what I need first and then figure out how much it costs.

If I felt that a six shot .38 was better for my EDC then I would find the one that best met my needs and then pay the price. In my case the S&W "J" frames I carry make me happy and a Detective Special works well for qualification due to the six round friendly qualification course. As a result I have several examples of both in case of need.

SOSD, your target price of $400.00 may limit your options unless you can wait to find a smoking deal. I try and keep up with pricing on vintage S & W revolvers and almost anything worth owning is well over $400.00. The venerated 2 1/2" model 19/66's are starting at $600.00, and quickly go up from there.
If you have your heart set on a 6 round revolver look for a S&W model 10 or one of the 2" Colts. If you can live with 5 rounds S&W has a number of J frame offerings.
Best of luck.

Back