6 shot snubbie 38

SonOfScubaDiver

I'm a little disappointed. On a whim, I started looking into what small frame six shot snubbie 38s are available from manufacturers. So far, all I've found are three-----RIA M206, Kimber K6, and CA Police Undercover. Not a whole lot to choose from. I don't know why, but I thought there'd be more out there than three.

IDK if the RIAM206 is a J-frame size - I thought it was a bit larger. If you include medium frame sizes, there are several Taurus models, and S&W Model 66. While not a 38, I think the Ruger SP101 or LCR in 327 Magnum are potent and 6-shot.

If you're talking about a mid sized frame, Smith & Wesson made the Model 10, 15, 64 and 12 in a six shot, 2" barrel for years. The Model 12 is an aluminum frame, the other three are both steel. You can probably only find them on the used market however. The probably made others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

The RIA 206 is bigger than a J-frame I believe. I've only handled one, but I remember it being more the size of a Colt Police Positive. The Kimber is bigger than a J, also.

I used to carry a Colt Dective Special. I found it to be a bit chunky and a J frame S&W to be easier to pack. Take this for what it`s worth but i think there`s a good reason there aren`t a lt of 6 round carry revolvers.

I believe Taurus will be coming out with a 6-shot snubby that's very close to the dimensions of their M85.

Even though I've avoided Taurus all of my life, I may give this one a close look.

I solved the problem of only 5 shots vs. 6 shots.
I carry a Seecamp .32 with 7 rounds in my weak side pocket all the time.
Figure that 7 rounds of hot fiocchi .32 is WAY BETTER than one or two more rounds of .38!
It's also faster reload than any speedloader or speed strip and carrys just as easily.

I made a pocket pouch that held the speedloader and extra speedstrip in the pocket. But the seecamp takes up even less space than that!

Find a Detective Special, one of the best 38 Snubbies ever made. And, they ain't getting cheaper!

3c4ymWs.jpg

2qh3TRm.jpg

a5Jxii3.jpg

What got me thinking about this is my LCR. That thing just disappears when I tuck it in mah ample waistband. I was thinking that a six shooter 38 snubbie would probly conceal well enough, so I started seeing what's out there. Surely the cylinder on a 6 shot can't be that much bigger than a 5 shot one. I thought for sure Taurus would have something, but I guess not. The Cobra someone mentioned, and the K6, cost more than I'm willing to spend on a gun I would have to surrender should I have to use it. I think a six shooter 38 snubbie in the $350-$450 range would sell, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

I've never actually seen a 206 in person, but I thought it was J-frame sized. Y'all are saying it's bigger? Guess I'll have to find one and see for myself.

I'm thinking the GP100 would be too big to be very comfortable. A six shot SP101 snubbie would be great.

The 5 vs 6 shot thing isn't something that bothers me a whole lot. I certainly don't feel underprotected when I carry my LCR or SP101. I'm just wondering why there aren't many options in small framed 6 shot wheel guns. Maybe it's an engineering thing? The frame has to be at least a certain size to support a 6 shot cylinder? I don't know what all goes into designing a gun, but if a 6 shot 38 LCR were available, I'd buy one.

why not a 6 shot .327 LCR then if you are set on six shots?
It's not a range gun, so the extra cost of ammo should not be that big a factor,
and .327 and .38+P are fairly close.
It's only if you want the .357 power that would be the deal breaker.

Yeah, the LCR dissappears AIWB. But I've tried to carry many other larger frames, and they are doable, but not as comfortable.
Ruger secuirty six, smith model 19 2.5", Smith 629 and even a Ruger Alaskan.
I think it's the weight of the LCR that makes the huge difference.

HVR, I don't know why, but I'm just stuck on 38 special. LOL I think the .327 is neater than poop, but I just love mah 38, ya know? I have my LCR in 38, and I'm planning on getting either a S&W model 10, Taurus model 82, or some other 4 inch 38. I'd like to eventually have a collection of 38 special wheel guns in different barrel lengths. I want them to be 38 special only, not the .357. I'd also like to have a collection of .357s, but that would be separate from my 38s. Five or six examples of each wouldn't be too many revolvers, would it? :D

2" K-frame

I always thought the 2" M19 and M66 K frames were really sexy guns. The 2" -66 was extremely hard to come by in my years of wanting one. The M10 was a wall flower next to the sleeker shrouded barrels of its stablemates. Another good looking medium frame was Rugers Speed Six .

But my first thought was to lay out the cash for a Colt Detective Special. The "D" frame Colt is a bit smaller than the medium frames. There were a lot of those Dick Specials produced, and they are out there in all sorts of condition.
Always wanted one. Never did.

In a lifetime of carrying self-defense weaponry of various types, I have ALWAYS based my decisions on the best I could afford, NEVER on the most I could tolerate losing.

I could not care less if a $2000 1911 got me through a scrape alive & I "lost" it to the evidentiary process.
It was a tool, and that tool saved my life.

An expensive tool that performed its function can be replaced.
My life can't.

Not saying it HAS to be a $2000 gun, but I am saying that basing your life-saver on a $400 limit solely because that's all you're willing to "lose" puts a much lower price on your life than I place on mine. :)

I see this attitude quite often, and have yet to understand it.
Denis

I always thought the 2" M19 and M66 K frames were really sexy guns. The 2" -66 was extremely hard to come by in my years of wanting one. The M10 was a wall flower next to the sleeker shrouded barrels of its stablemates. Another good looking medium frame was Rugers Speed Six .

Didn't know they made a 2" 19/66. They made 2.5" 19s/66s. And they do look awesome.

Denis, a $2000 gun isn't going to protect my life any more than the $400 one will. So, I don't know where you get the notion that I think my life is only worth $400. I wouldn't carry a $2000 gun in the first place, because of how carry pieces have a tendency to get scratches and holster wear. For me, a $2000 gun is a show piece that goes to the range every now and then and gives my friends and I something to admire, not something to bang around.

I trust my life to several $400 guns because they have proven to be utterly reliable. I've seen more than one expensive gun fail.:cool:

Last edited:
Back