6 of .38spl,or 5 of .357mag? Which would you go with?

I have owned both . I depends on how well you can handle the recoil on 357 from a 25/8 barrel snubbie. I practice with magnum loads and would rather have greater velocity, momentum, penetrating power just in case the perp is wearing a heavy jacket I have to stop the attack. I would choose 5 round of 357 over 38 spec anyday. I have sold all of my 38's.
Herb

I recommend the standard .38 Special 158gr lead SWC for a snubby. The .357 is best used in a six inch tube.

With .357 magnum loads in a 2.5" tube you are only getting more muzzle blast, flash, and recoil that greatly reduces recovery time between shots. Especially at night!
This is not good when you need to put out some quick successive aimed fire into the bad guys.

Again, I recommend a .38 Special chambering for snubbies. Go with Colt's Detective Special, Agent, Commando, or the Cobra.

:cool:

Ever watch the people in the South drive in snow? For anybody up North driving in snow is a no brainer. Car slides sideways and you turn the wheels in the direction of the slide. We do it so often it's second nature to us.

That being said,,every revolver I own is a 6 shot.

Bang
Bang
Bang
Bang
Bang
Bang
is second nature to me.

Bang
Bang
Bang
Bang
Bang
Click
is something I can personally live without.

I used to carry a 5 shot model stainless 60 .357 mag and that dang thing hurt! I was down to using the Medium Velocity 125gr Golden Sabers just to be able to control the weapon with any real effectiveness. Why didn't I just shoot .38 special ?..Cause I'm stubborn. I thought.... if I'm going to have a .357 mag by God I'm going to shoot .357 mags!!:D

It doesn't matter if you have 5rds of .357 mag if you can't control it. The 6 shot .38 or even 5 shot .38 is a better choice, but if you can control a full house .357 mag loads in a small revolver, you can't go wrong.

Needless to say I didn't carry long before I traded her for a Centennial. I had to get rid of my Centennial one day..sniff sniff...for a family emergency..but hopefully in a couple of weeks I can buy a USED replacement!

Good Shooting
RED

Mike and Herb,
7 shots, like 5 shots or even 8 shots are fine for some folks. They aren't for me though. Like I said, all my six shooters are 6 shooters. I like keeping them simple like that.

Most of the time I carry a Glock 19 with 17 rounds in it, but I like revolvers, and I wanted a small .357 and finally got a 7 shooter!

If I can't solve a problem with 5 shots of magnum, I probably couldn't do much better with 6 shots of .38. Then again, I'd probably have .38spl in that magnum to begin with...

I have a 7-shot .357 anyway.

Back