6-o-clock-Carry - Input 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people see it on the movies and think it's a viable way to carry a gun. It's certainly not and this myth needs to be dispelled.

SocialAnarchist said:
Frankly, I don't care where the OP carries his CC handgun. It has absolutely zero impact on me. If their is an insistence on carrying small of back then do it. Who cares?
Well, considering this is a discussion forum and the OP has put this up as a topic of discussion, I'd say it's reasonable to discuss the subject. And considering his thread title has the word "input" in it, I'd say it's also reasonable for us to offer our input on the subject. After all, isn't that the whole point of this forum?

I've slipped and landed flat on my back numerous times, including several falls down the stairs. What can I say, I'm a tall clumsy white guy :p . I've never suffered permanent back injury, but in several of those instances had I been carrying a weapon at 6:00, it would likely have been very, VERY bad. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. I never recommend SOB to anyone for this reason. Any other position is doable, given proper gear (pocket carrying a Glock with no holster and keys in your pocket is dumb too).

Ankle carry is certainly better than nothing. Personally, I would only go that route as a position for a BUG. Though taking a knee may be a viable or even necessary choice for defending yourself (shooting in an urban environment for example) you may also need to move for cover. Doing that and drawing from the ankle at the same time isn't an option. And if you have any lower back issues at all, hanging a weight on 1 leg probably won't help. I've heard of a few people carrying two identical guns, one on each ankle, partly to balance the weight out.

And considering his thread title has the word "input" in it, I'd say it's also reasonable for us to offer our input on the subject.
Reading the OPs second post, I doubt he's open to input.

does anyone use a shoulder holster?

I did for a number of years with a Detonics Combat Master. It was quite comfortable and easy to conceal the gun as long as you wore a sport coat or jacket of some type. I liked it a lot as the gun basically tucked into my left armpit area. I never had a concern about printing or the gun being seen.

It's not personal at all. This is the second topic he has posted trying to get someone or anyone to support SOB carry. It wouldn't be my choice, I carry IWB right side in between my front and rear pants pocket. Some may not like that. That's okay, I like it, for me it is comfortable and an easy position to draw from.

My point was if the OP is insistent on SOB carry more power to him. It doesn't really affect anyone but him.

I'm also 100% against any small of back carry. Aside from falling down, they're dozens of other thing that can seriously harm you.. slamming on your brakes hard or being pushed against a wall really hard. Wouldn't ever recommend it.

Also coming from a limited martial arts background, where the head goes the body goes. Much easier to disarm you that way. The spine easily bends forward, not backwards.

EDIT: Reading the post above me. I didn't know that. I don't like when people search for an answer that they want and dislike when they don't get a back rub.

Also, I carry appendix mostly. If I'm going on vacation which includes a long drive or going out all day with my lover bunches. I'll pack a semi at 4 o'clock and a snubby at appendix. Always depends.

Last edited:
This is a continuation of a thread that was justifiably closed. I allowed this one to continue in the hopes that someone had new or novel information on this issue. None has been brought forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back