6.8x51mm or 277 fury new military ammo

I just heard from my super secret special spy source.
6.8x51mm is just 7.5 MAS necked down.
This is all a French conspiracy, dating back to the US poo-pooing 7.5 MAS and then adopting a cartridge that was extremely similar.

Com speer racey!

I wonder if this means the military will dump there surplus of 556 onto the civilian market?
No.

There is nothign magic about 6.8 that 6.5 is not.
It is 0.3 bigger.

Historically, has this ever happened with ammo? I'd be interested to know.
Yes. .30-03.
And, to some extent, .30-40.
But, majorly, .45-70 and .50-70 were literally dumped by the train car load onto the prairies in the 1860s and 1870s, to keep the Buffalo chasers chasing buffalo. Both sides needed leather and bone (meat didn't keep and didn't matter).
The majority of US production of .45-70 and .50-70 ammo was given away for *free* to the people on the plains of the 'midwest'.

There’s a difference. They tested 6mm, 6.5mm, 6.8mm, 7mm and 7.62mm. As I recall 6mm/6.5mm provided the best accuracy. 7mm proved to be the most destructive. 6.8mm provided accuracy that was close to 6.5mm but damage that was closer to 7mm. I think the 6.5mm also had mag problems.
Where did you get this info from? Do you have a reference?

I am not doubting, just curious, I'd love to read up on it. I thought the Army's "Small Arms Ammunition Configuration" (SAAC) study was never made public.

I’ve followed the develop of this cartridge and rifle for years. There was a lot of information released over the years. But your right, the Army didn’t release much information when the 6.8 bullet was selected in their Small Arms Ammunition Configuration study in 2017. Frankly, I was surprised they picked the 6.8. I figured they’d select the 6.5 bullet. I’ve hunted hogs with a 6.8 SPC since 2012. Although not the same cartridge, the 6.8 bullets I use in my 6.8 SPC are very accurate and a killer. I’ve read it has 80% of the knock down power of a .308.

Again, to be clear, the Army made the 6.8. Yes they chose the caliber, but selected sounds (to me) like they picked from an mfg offering and did not. I do not buy that you can tell any difference between a 6.5 and a 6.8 designed to the same specs.

So perhaps another "last war" syndrome is creeping in. The open country in the dust bowl allowed and often required long ranges.
What if the next shooting scrape we get in has the same issue with visibility?

Vietnam was a mess on a tactical front and worse for the men and women who served and suffered for those decisions.

Blind firing makes a conscription troops feel better, it only uses up ammunition and then you run out (and due to the horrid tech decisions that were criminal) you also foul you DGI.

Ok, we are under ammo(ed) because the other side has 30 round mags (at least one biography I read was that the NVA was taught single shot - Viet Cong ?

Try to go to cover with an AK and 30 round mag, you have ground interference.

Unfortunately urban legends get build (the ping of an M1 being the signal for the Germans to attack, yep, right after everyone eardrums have been pounded by 7.92 ripping gout of a German MG and Mauser's. right.

An area I have researched thoroughly. Sherman Tank WWII. 4 out of 5 crew got out of the Sherman after it was either mobility or mission killed.

Once they put the main gun ammo in the bottom of the tank it quit burning. Prior, no better or worse than German tanks, mostly on the offense and that causes more mobility or mission losses.

To tall? Yes, also allowed a place to put the main gun ammo down low. Hmmm

75 mm? Good for day in day out, after 1943 not as good anti tank (most of the shooting was day in day out). 76mm. Only significantly better when they got the HVAP rounds (only a few issued to each as limited quantity) - same HVAP went through T-34/85 in Korea like butter.

76 mm not as large a burst charge for HE. Unknown why they did not come up with a slower round that had a larger charge. Infantry liked the 75 mm a lot better. It killed MG nests better. Tankers going against anti tank guns the same.

Lesson in compromises. 76 mm could have been made equal to 75 mm (only after Normandy did the 76 mm come to be desired and then the pursu9it no, until they hit the German border and then yes again.

As noted, the M5 is going to see doctrine tests and likely adjustments.

If we go into0 a jungle then go with the 8 inch barrel, suppressed and you can hear where the enemy is much better.

Europe? Longer ranges, you can't make an M4 long range. You can make an M5 better suited to short range (yes ammo is more limited). Current Army and USMC is far better trained than draftees were.

I have no issue with the Army focusing on the 6.8 caliber, I also know it is not a magic with 3/10 mm more (.118). Range is a factor of BC and drop out of supersonic.

But, majorly, .45-70 and .50-70 were literally dumped by the train car load onto the prairies in the 1860s and 1870s, to keep the Buffalo chasers chasing buffalo. Both sides needed leather and bone (meat didn't keep and didn't matter).
The majority of US production of .45-70 and .50-70 ammo was given away for *free* to the people on the plains of the 'midwest'.

Buffalo hunting was encouraged to knock off the Native Americans.

I wonder if this means the military will dump there surplus of 556 onto the civilian market?

Some 5.56 NATO makes it onto civilian market the same as 7.62.

But the current plan is front line troops get the M4 and the rear line gets the M5. They only use their guns in an emergency. Long term? Have to see

Found this really interesting article on the cartridge. https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/10/27/inside-armys-quest-revolutionary-new-bullet.html

One interesting note is some sort of proprietary barrel technology to reduce wear at the high pressures that i had not heard mention of before.

Also, why keep the criteria a secret? Given the bullet makeup, copper with a hardened steel penetrator, bc, bullet weight, and muzzle velocity, couldn't you simply calculate ar what distances it could go through any given type or armor?

They just made every single person more capable than a Pre year 2000 era Sniper. You now have an entire field full of snipers. That is the way.

That sounds wonderful, and would make good ad copy, but I suspect the real world performance will fall somewhat short of that claim.

I also disagree with the idea that modern warfare is "nothing" like pre-2000 warfare. Tech has changed (and still is) but the earth and the people on it have not. There are still the same places, some with large open spaces and some with none. And people fight in all of them.

Regarding infantry rifles, our military has been on a quest to find "one ring to rule them all" since the 50s. They haven't found it yet, and I doubt this new gun and ammo will be it, either.

An area I have researched thoroughly. Sherman Tank WWII. 4 out of 5 crew got out of the Sherman after it was either mobility or mission killed.
Riiight...that's why the Germans nicknamed them "Tommy cookers". :rolleyes:
I love to talk tanks and WWII tanks are an area I have also researched thoroughly. PM me and we'll talk tanks! :D

Also, why keep the criteria a secret? Given the bullet makeup, copper with a hardened steel penetrator, bc, bullet weight, and muzzle velocity, couldn't you simply calculate ar what distances it could go through any given type or armor?

Sure you can, and so can the other side, which is WHY you keep it a secret.

When the enemy knows exactly what your stuff will do, and not do, they make changes to their stuff (or tactics) to nullify your advantages, or even turn them into disadvantages.

This is what the entire arms race is about. And information that seems relatively harmless during peace can get our people killed in times of war.

There are countless examples easy to find in just WWII alone. "Loose Lips SINK SHIPS!!" is a very real thing. Still is. And, it applies on land and in the air too.
the Zero fighter was nearly invincible, UNTIL we learned its weaknesses and created tactics to counter them, first, and then a bit later superior fighters.

Several of our subs survived Japanese attack early in the war, until some idiot Congressman blabbed to the press that our guys were "safe" because the Japanese set their depth charges to shallow. Guess what? After that, the Japanese set their charges to go off deeper and our losses went UP!

So, go ahead, tell the world (including our potential enemies) exactly what our stuff will do. Show it off, and brag on it. What harm can that do?

ALOT!!!

It's too soon to tell if the new gun and ammo is a boondoggle or not, and too soon to tell if the military will or will not use it to its potential or hamstring it with poor tactical doctrine. Either is possible.

What bugs me is that the usual process of competing bids, and extensive testing BEFORE purchase does not seem to have been followed. If it was, it was kept very secret from us.

Is this a case of the military coming up with specs that ONLY Sig could meet with competitors trying and failing? or might this be a case of someone in the military created specs tailored for what Sig could do, in order to buy from Sig??

The reports say the choice has been made (SIG) and we're going to put the best part of 5 BILLION dollars in SIG's pocket. That's not chump change....

Personally, looking at a lot of comments, reviews, feedback, it will likely never be fully adopted. SF guys will get it, but don't be looking for surplus M4s, parts and ammo to be coming anytime this decade. I see it as an eventual replacement for some of the weapons, like the SAW and in DMR and urban sniper environments, but grunts will have M4s for a long time into the future.

For $8K, I don't need a semi-auto, heavy .270Win clone.

As for the .277 Fury round, yes, it does mimic .270Win ballistics with the shorter barrel and higher pressures. There are some folks who got ahold of some cases, and got some dies made. They passed 100 reloads on a batch of case with no ill effects, keeping the pressures around 60Kpsi.

At 80Kpsi, I have seen what it can do, and it is impressive. While I have seen the same info I saw posted in a few places, yeah, it's not something I am going to post in an open forum. There are some very cool things folks have figured out in terms of terminal performance in the last few years, and we are just seeing the tech come to the surface in the gun community discourse.

It's too soon to tell if the new gun and ammo is a boondoggle or not, and too soon to tell if the military will or will not use it to its potential or hamstring it with poor tactical doctrine. Either is possible.

I am in full agreement there. I don't think M-16 full auto did any good in Nam. Its not that full auto is not useful, its just not the answer every time (or even most of the time)

Some of the guys returned from Afghanistan (particularly ) have noted semi auto is the norm. But it takes well trained professionals to do so. The day of the draftee (at leas in US) is gone. That is not to disrespect what the draftees did and or tried to do. But you read the data from Civil War on and its some shoot, some go through the motions and some do not. I tend to think I would have been an case of incapacitation if exposed to more than a couple of battles. I found if I can't sleep I get overloaded and begin to fall apart. Not a coward (or so I believe) but my reading of what the troops have and go through, I do not think I would make it.

Amp44: I am puzzled by that statement of not tested. They did go through a number of test phases doing down select (3x?) and in the end I thought they had a representative prototype of the various options.

A protest is common, I don't see it as justified. The other two finalists had huge risk factors (and one did not meet the MG requirement and was substitution a magazine fed rifle)

I do think they took viable tech (pressure, barrel and the Smuzzle which is both a silencer and redoing mitigation) to max advantage (again 6 to 9 feet less drop than a 5.56 mm at 1000 meters is huge).

Advantage of Smuzzle in recoil mitigation means the impact of the high pressure round is minimized.

I never like the AR15/M-16 controls. I have a friend out of Nam who loved the M-16 because it was light. He has a XCR which I found to be extremely intuitive, he does not like it because it feels heavy to him (he is also older and the M-16.M4 has gotten heavier so.....)

As noted, there is nothing that says short barrels cannot be issued if a Jungle fight comes to be and that is deemed an advantage (boy is that a touch one)

WWII is an interesting example of the GI adaptation. Yes the M1 was a modern wonder and while we did not have a good light MG (aka MR34/42) we had more fire spread out in a squad as well as the BAR (which in my opinion got wrecked in the inter war period, the WWI version and the Belgian built variant was much better)

As the European war moved into the towns and cities after Normandy, a lot of swapping went on and you caw companies that were half equipped with a sub machine gun.

An M1 clearly is not the rifle to clear rooms with.

Even Normandy was different from the British end (more open) to the US end (heavier and tighter Bocage).

I did a check on the M5 and it has an easy to change barrel (under 5 minutes). Not that is not sighted in.

But say you have a patrol in open country aka Afghanistan and you have to go through some villages as well. Given the barrel you could have a mix of short and long barrels.

If there is enough difference on a barrel change to be a short range issue, then you pre sight in and log the adjust. If not, you keep the sight in for the long barrel and the short makes no difference.

The options are there now.

And a huge part is the Fire Optic and of course that is mid and long range. That is high tech at its best.

Does every grunt need it? I don't think so but that is also what the testing should reveal.

The M-16 had no testing and lost of horrid decisions. This is slowly being tested and trialed and not in combat initially but in the US.

There are lessons on the SAW that does not work well. A big part was they were worn out. The other part was they had the useless mag feed that did not work that the (again Israeli's I believe) worked out. Fix it or get rid of it.

Some things I clearly do not like on the M5. Two charging handles? Come on, go one way or the other (a left charging is right ergonomics for most of us)

I liked the XCR Forward assist, you could use it if you wanted to (not recommended) but it was build in and did not add weight and parts and cost to the gun.

But I also see the idea of transition as the troops are trained on a manual of arms. I give them far more credit in being able to adopt but I could be wrong (we adjusted going into WWII as the M1 had noting in common with the 1903 in that regard)

I am not saying its guaranteed to work, but I do think its a good process they went through. Adaptation is also staged and if show stopper then stop the show until resolved (or so I hope)

I am also seeing for the first time cost is not the driving consideration, its how effective and the reality is that using cost as a main driver is the wrong way to go. The cost of that can be lost lives and we don't want that. Times have changed.

anyone ready to buy? $7999 and you can have one. $3 per shot too.
Other than 22s I dont buy cartridges I cant reload for anymore. so as of now that makes it a nope. Add onto that the $8000 price tag, again, nope. make it $3000 ish including the fancy optic, and i might have to start saving up.

also funny since you can get a barret 50cal for around $900 more.

Frankly, I was surprised they picked the 6.8. I figured they’d select the 6.5 bullet.

I’ve hunted hogs with a 6.8 SPC since 2012. Although not the same cartridge, the 6.8 bullets I use in my 6.8 SPC are very accurate and a killer. I’ve read it has 80% of the knock down power of a .308.
I am with you. Had they selected the 6.5 bullet for the Next Generation Squad Weapon Program, the Army could have also used it for the M4 platform, switching to 6.5 Grendel in lieu of 5.56x45.

But I suppose there must be a reason the 6.8 was chosen, maybe better at barrier or body armor penetration, who knows.

while they are allowed to the US Military has a long, long tradition of not buying "off the shelf" stuff. And also setting their specs so that existing commercial products fall just short of "requirements" so that purpose built things are created for military use.

Look at the history of the .308 Win and the .223 Rem for just a couple examples.

This can be reloaded, absolutely. I will bet right now that the dies will be different, in that they will NOT resize the brass all the way down, it will just resize to the edge of the stainless steel. Or if the Steel cap pops off, then you size, then you put it back with the washer, etc.

I assure you, if I had this rifle, I would immediately pay somebody I know to make me a customer chamber die for it, and I would be reloading it. In fact, when other, cheaper variants come out and there is 100 clones, I will be reloading it and adding the content. The first rifle I get, I will probably damage it, since I don't expect any reloading data, and I am predicting that they are using a "faster" burning powder to be able to get 80k PSI, I will mock up a chamber image in quick load and go from there, up in pressure until something fails. This is for sure.

Its entirely possible and very likely they will be using a "non-canister" propellent, one that civilians simply cannot get or duplicate.

Its entirely possible and very likely they will be using a "non-canister" propellent, one that civilians simply cannot get or duplicate.
Something specifically tailored for this cartridge, its high pressures, and short barrel, most likely.

I have several friends in uniform that have shot these now. Their impressions are interesting. Been able to look at the cases, he had a photo of one split in half. The squad plans coming out are interesting.

Basically, double the lethality distance, smaller units, armor defeating. It's interesting to say the least.

If dies become available, I am going to assume they will need to be specially adjusted, and probably a two step sizing in one die, and or a body die first, then a shoulder bump.

From what my Grandson told me about the Army's marksmanship training, putting something like this in the hands of regular infantry without specialized training in long range shooting will be an enormous waste of resources.

A lot of the graduates of advanced infantry can't qualify and the drill sargeants shoot their qualifier score for them.

From what my Grandson told me about the Army's marksmanship training, putting something like this in the hands of regular infantry without specialized training in long range shooting will be an enormous waste of resources.

A lot of the graduates of advanced infantry can't qualify and the drill sargeants shoot their qualifier score for them.
I'm not sure anyone ever really said it was going into the hands of regular infantry. Evan so, it outperforms 223 are pretty much everything, and the new Vortex sight should help even an average Joe make better hits.

FWIW, my son qualified expert out of the gate with Irons and Optics at BCT with the new M4 qual course. It is not that hard, but harder that it was. That is a good thing.

I highly doubt any DS is shooting scores for trainees.

Back