6.5x55 AI or 6.5-06 AI help me choose

Just to be clear, I’m not doing this because I am dissatisfied with the 6.5x55, quite the contrary as it is in my opinion a nearly perfect cartridge. I have additional Swedes that I plan on leaving just the way they are. I simply want to be able to send a 6.5mm 140 grain projectile at 3000fps+ out of my T3 without any major modifications beyond a barrel swap. I know that it’s possible with a 6.5-06 AI but I’m interested in other options as well.

Do what my buddy did, just buy a 6.5-300 Weatherby. It'll launch most bullets above 3000 fps, and cheaper than most gunsmiths charge to install new barrel. He got the Vanguard Wilderness model from Weatherby, shoots MOA or better at 200 yards.

Do what my buddy did, just buy a 6.5-300 Weatherby. It'll launch most bullets above 3000 fps, and cheaper than most gunsmiths charge to install new barrel. He got the Vanguard Wilderness model from Weatherby, shoots MOA or better at 200 yards.
Thats not a bad idea! I looked at the Wilderness and it looks like a fine rifle. I wonder if that 24" barrel neuters the 6.5-300 a bit.

Someone mentioned the 6.5 Rem mag. I think it failed for a good reason. They brought it out in the 660 mag rifle and factory ammo as limited to 120gr bullet's.

Also, the 6.5 Remington Magnum could never measure up to the published ballistics, since the introductory rifle had such a short barrel. The cartridge itself, is quite good and merits a 24" barrel.

Neither cartridge is as good as the mighty .308 shooting 180 grain soft tips into big game animals.

Jack

Thank you for your valuable input.

rdj_eyeroll.gif

Just to be clear, I’m not doing this because I am dissatisfied with the 6.5x55, quite the contrary as it is in my opinion a nearly perfect cartridge. I have additional Swedes that I plan on leaving just the way they are. I simply want to be able to send a 6.5mm 140 grain projectile at 3000fps+ out of my T3 without any major modifications beyond a barrel swap. I know that it’s possible with a 6.5-06 AI but I’m interested in other options as well.
Possible? Yes indeed. Possible at safe pressure? I highly doubt it at the barrel length you want to use. Reading brass for pressure signs is voodoo at best.

Back