6.5PRC....Another 6.5 discussion

precision shooter said:
I've been told by a few "just get a 30-06". That option isn't off the table, but I tend to like short action cartridges. I hand load so ammo availability/cost doesn't concern me.

If you want a short action cartridge get a .308 Win instead of a .30-06, it'll do just fine. Mark is right, put a good quality bullet and it'll kill an elk. That's far more important than paper ballistics.

@FrankenMauser,

Pssst......

Hornady doesn't make the Accubond.
Nosler does.
Holy crap! That is the first mistake I have made in 32 years. ;)
I wonder if that was a brain fart on the brand itself, or because the bullets were swaged by me and the importance of brand was very low.
I should have stuck with just "Accubonds"...

If you want a short action cartridge get a .308 Win instead of a .30-06, it'll do just fine. Mark is right, put a good quality bullet and it'll kill an elk. That's far more important than paper ballistics.

This is looking more and more like the direction I may go. I have tons of .308 brass, plenty of powder, or do a 7mm-08 and still be able to neck down my .308 brass. 7mm bullets are becoming plentiful.

Last edited:
I haven't killed as many elk as MarkCO, but I've never had any issues with a .270 Win or .30-06. The last one I hunted I used a suppressed .308 to get the job done. I also used 130 grain TTSX bullets and they worked fine, but next time I'd probably opt for a heavier bullet.

Nothing at all wrong with 7mm-08 or .308. Oldest used a .308 for Elk his first two years. One at 350 and the second at 220. Both tasted good. :)

I have a love/hate relationship with TSX and TTSX. When they hit with enough velocity, light or heavy, they work great. But when they slow down, below about 2200 fps, they pencil through. Range limit based on that velocity and good. I've actually contemplated having them in the mag and carry a few Nosler ABLRs for if I want to shoot over 350 or so.

Back