6.5mm Creedmore Which one would you buy?

There have been many spellings for Creedmore . First came the place name then Remington used it and IIRC patented the name .So others copying had to spell it differently !
Kimber is capable of making fine rifles but not always doing that ! My 223 was not accurate so I did a few simple things .The first cut the groups in HALF.
Stop using the term "Swede" .The 6.5x55 was the military cartridge for both Norway and Sweden. Still being chambered for the cartridge are many custom and factory rifles in that cartridge !
As Finn Aagaard said 'the 6.5x55is the perfect deer cartridge '! ;)

Interesting about spellings of Creedmoor differing. I'd not noticed that. For the Cartridge, the spelling shown by SAAMI is Creedmoor, same as the old National Rifle Range on Long Island, New York.

attachment.php

The main drawback to the X-bolt may occur if you shoot it a lot. My assumption is, like the A-bolt before it, that it has its barrel installed with industrial grade permanent thread locker and you cannot readily change it yourself. Browning wants you to send it to them for a new barrel when it needs one. I prefer to rebarrel and chamber my own rifles, using the blank of my own choosing.

Attachments

• Creedmore Range.gif
    Creedmore Range.gif
    135.1 KB · Views: 294
I shot the new X-Bolt today with 4 different bullets at two seating depths, all with the same powder load (H4350 40.0gr)and primers (CCI 200). There is DEFINITELY a difference from the Kimber 84 Hunter. I don't know how to take a picture and get it on this site so I'll just describe the results. All are 3 shots at 100 yards on a standard rifle rest. I know there are recommendations that 3 shots are insufficient to judge a load but I think these results will speak for themselves:

Hormady 140 Spire, 0.015" from the leade= 0.361" 0.020" = 0.198"

Sierra 140 BTSP 0.015" = 0.861" (*) 0.020"=0.3298"

Hornady 140gr SST 0.015" = 1.111" 0.020"= 1.111"

Berger 140gr "Hunting" bullet 0.015" =0.736" 0.020"= 0.6735"

(*) I suspect the third shot was a flyer caused by me as the first two shots were touching

IIRC, the stats work out for randomly varying 3-shot groups that 19 out of 20 such groups will be no smaller than 0.4 times the average 3-shot group size and no larger than 2.5 times their average size. One in 20 will, on average, be outside those limits on one side or the other. So your flier is still within the random distribution range.

For reasons of the randomness, if you put more shots in each group, the groups get bigger, but vary less from one another in diameter and you see less dramatic (as a multiple of the average group diameter) fliers, as well.

But overall, you've had several groups that appear to be neutral to monotonic in showing the larger jump makes for a smaller group. Now you want to try even bigger jumps to see if it tightens up. Berger suggests even bigger steps (0.030" for target work), though you could dial it in smaller if you want to.

The late Dan Hackett, a benchrest competitor reported loading 220 Swift at 0.020" off the lands for a Remington 40X. He could never get 5-shot groups smaller than 3/8" of an inch, and it averaged more like 1/2". Then one day he switched to a 0.015" longer bullet, but accidentally turned his micrometer the wrong way, going in 0.015" instead of out 0.015", so they were 0.050" off the lands instead of 0.020". He had 20 rounds loaded before he noticed the error. But rather than pull them, he decided to shoot them in practice. To his amazement, the 5-shot groups he shot with them were two 1/4" groups and two true bugholes in the 1's.

You can't know until you try.

"But overall, you've had several groups that appear to be neutral to monotonic in showing the larger jump makes for a smaller group. Now you want to try even bigger jumps to see if it tightens up. Berger suggests even bigger steps (0.030" for target work), though you could dial it in smaller if you want to"

I will definitely work on that. Thanks for the info.

Back