6.5 PRC hunting rifles.

George Gardner of GAP riflesworked with Hornady on that cartridge, they were looking for a short action cartridge that would utilize high BC 140's to as before mentioned a limit of 3150 fps.
They build rifles chambered for the cartridge there in their shop in KCMO, however they would be considerably higher than 1100.00.
If I was looking for an affordable rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC, I'd use a Savage and order a barrel.

I was thinking about building a 6.5PRC. I built another 6.5x284 Norma instead. I am sure the PRC will survive due to Hornaday factory support. I just don't yet see it as an improvement over the 6.5x284 Norma. Savage chambers some nice 6.5X284.

6.5x284 Norma, OAL 3.228" and I had mine build long action same as 284 I use for hunting.

You sure don't need to be target shooting to pick good case for hunting.

Well you could buy an Axis or Savage action on sale, rebarrel it to the 6.5 PRC, roughly $800

Call is $250 to $350 for the Savage/Axis, $400 for the barrel and dependent on if you do the barrel yourself or a gunsmith abut a toss up once you buy the tools (if you only do it once)

As its going to be a barrel burner in 1500 rounds or so, you might want to invest in the tools to replace it as needed (hunting no, target and or hunting combo yes)

George Gardner of GAP riflesworked with Hornady on that cartridge, they were looking for a short action cartridge that would utilize high BC 140's to as before mentioned a limit of 3150 fps.
If that was the goal, seems like they failed. Highest numbers I have seen for a 140 are in the 2900fps range, same as the 6.5-284 (for a short action) or the 100+ year old long action 6.5-06.

emcon5 said:
If that was the goal, seems like they failed. Highest numbers I have seen for a 140 are in the 2900fps range, same as the 6.5-284 (for a short action) or the 100+ year old long action 6.5-06.

You haven't googled Hornady's load data then for the cartridge. MRP and RL26 pushes the 143 ELDX to 3150 and the max load for the 147 ELD is 3050 but with Retumbo and RL26. There isn't much data yet, but give it time and you'll have plenty.

Back