6.5 jap value?

huntwv

Inactive
Hey guys - Newbie here, i just purchased a couple Jap rifles, one was a 6.5 looks to be original, and it has the Mum intact and the "wings" on the sight. What would the typical value be? i will take some pics and upload them. but just as a general idea how much could this gun be worth?

thanks
Tommy

I agree with Mike, only the Type 99 had the A/C sights.

A original unrestored Arisake can go for north of 1K if in very nice condition with a intact Mum. The Arsenal and Series well make a difference in value.

Very few still have the original Urushi finish on wood as most GI's refinshed these on the way home aboard ship. Urushi is derived from the Sumac tree and is poisonous. There are many documented cases of men aboard ship returning from the wars end devolving skin rash and respiratory problems. Caused by GI's sanding on captured Jap rifles. Aboard ship this fine dust would be spread be the ventilation system and effect the entire crew.

A type 99 in good condition with original finish intact, removed Mum, is a $300-400 rifle. If it retains the Mum it can be double that.

This Nagoya Arsenal series five with Mid-War Type 30 bayonet has a mismatched bolt and is missing the Mum. It does retain the Urushi finish and has about 70% of the blue finish remaining. The chrome bore is very nice. Original A/C sights with reproduction sling, muzzle cover and mono-pod.
arisaka01.jpg

Pics

here are some pics... Please let me know what you think... from what i can tell this is a 6.5... but im a newbie so im not sure...lol

thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 190
Looks like a Nagoya Arsenal 1923-1945 series 28.... (not sure what that means, but thats the markings on the link you sent...

So with this information, knowing now its a 7.7 with mum and the wings in the shape that it is in what would you estimate the value to be?

Price is variable depending upon where you are selling and who is buying and how bad the buyer really wants your particular rifle. There's a phrase for this.

Your rifle looks solid, but not terribly unusual. But it's not butchered by Bubba and could, maybe, get between 3 or 5 bills. Maybe more if you run into someone who really, really needs only a Nagoya 4 to complete their collection. I think that you should buy a good reference book. If you bought several, then you might as well be an informed buyer and seller going forward. Additionally, you could spend a couple months watching auction sights for Nagoya Type 99 rifles in condition similar to your rifle.

Nice rifle, btw.

Thanks alot for your input.....

So here is another question.... this is another gun that i bought..
Is this the 6.5 or the 7.7? given that the 6.5's didnt have the wings i assume this is the 7.7..
As you can tell it was sporterized, but it looks like it was done with a very nice stock.... how much would one of these value at? being sporterized?..

Attachments

• DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 145
here are some more pics..

Attachments

• DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 101
Toyo Kogyo only made Type 99s to the best of my knowledge/references, which would also make it 7.7. Originally, atleast. Hard to say for sure with a sportorized rifle

As for value, sportorized rifles are difficult. Most sportorized Arisakas I've seen have been around $100, but the intact mum on that one could very well bring that up as a barreled action.

Not long ago I auctioned off over 100 Arisakas (My Collection). The wood seemed to dictate the price. I have seen original wood sets go for more than complete rifles. The exception being battle damage such as schrapnel and bullet marks. I had one type 30 that was toasted on the one side and it went pretty high. The wood on yours looks pretty good yet.

Gunplummeris right on about the wood. huntwv's first rifle has been refinished and the second is a sporter, not a lot of resale value.

It's difficult to find a Arisaka with original finish and any condition. Most have refinished wood and many are even re-blued. Some of the refinishing is coming up on 70 years old and may look original to some.

Your type 99 appears to be missing the monopod. It attached to the middle barrel band and was a wire affair.

Not particularly useful and was often discarded because it got caught on stuff.

It's also missing the sliding dust cover. Soldiers often removed these because they rattled.

Neither is a killer blow to the value of the gun, and in fact you can get both fairly inexpensively.

My Type 99 with all original parts, AA sights, bipod, dust cover, Mum intact - this was an Australian Battle Captured rifle ( Papua New Guinea bring back ) that retains the correct Japanese finish ( Urushi ). It has plenty battle character and I plan to keep it exactly how it is, this is a piece of War history when my country was under direct attack from Japan ... ( I have the Kokura bayonet also )

( I also have a Type 38 Carbine, battle capture, Mum intact with original rubber/canvas sling )

beafq8.jpg

Tiki.

Your type 99 appears to be missing the monopod. It attached to the middle barrel band and was a wire affair.

Not particularly useful and was often discarded because it got caught on stuff.

It's also missing the sliding dust cover. Soldiers often removed these because they rattled.

Neither is a killer blow to the value of the gun, and in fact you can get both fairly inexpensively.

I have to disagree with you there Mike. Having an original dust cover and monopod on a type99 is a major plus to the value. Original dust covers and monopods aren't cheap either. Repro's are all over but they are easy to tell apart from originals. Missing those parts is what makes a $600-800 rifle into a $200 rifle. I think some of the price estimates in this thread are a bit high for the OP's rifle. There are 8 all original Arisakas at a gun shop near me for $175 each and they are nice guns. I guess prices do vary by area but around here most Japanese rifles are cheap unless they have all the goodies (AA sights, pod, dust cover, matching numbers) then they command a premium. Just my .02

Back