6.5 Grendel powder choice ?

CFE223, 8208XBR, AR Comp, Leverevolution, H335, are all good powders in the Grendel, depending on the bullet used. I use CCI 450's with ball powders and GM205MAR's with others.

The 123 SST has not had the greatest reputation for accuracy lately, but some rifles still like it.

I have three "favorite bullets" for my Grendel's, 120 Gold Dot, 129 ABLR, 120 Ballistic Tip-Hunting and I am working on 120 Pro-Hunter as I get time.

You may find that on the first firing, your cases shoulder datum grows what seems to be an excessive amount, don't sweat it, SAAMI min. chamber is 1.220 to .350 datum, but most factory cases run about 1.205 (Lapua)-1.210 (Hornady) as measured with the Hornady comparator tool. Some chambers are shorter than SAAMI spec.
Just set the shoulder back .003 for your fired cases, and rock on. A set of Redding Shell holders is very helpful here. Good cases last a long time and won't need much trimming once they are fire formed to your chamber. I use Lapua and Starline.

Be careful watching for "pressure signs", about the time they show up, you are already somewhat over pressure. 52000 MAP. If you see ejector swipes, definitely back down a little. Worst case is a broken bolt, that doesn't happen very much. Unless it's really pushed.

Just some "fun facts to know and tell" specific to the 6.5 Grendel.

The Grendel is a highly accurate cartridge that has amazing game taking capability, but there is a little more of a learning curve to hand loading for it.

I don't even get out the .308 700 or the '86 Win. 45- 70 much anymore to hunt with.

Place your shots and chow down.

".every one of them insta-drop ranging from 65yds out to 410 yds per my spotter. "

And all that with a cartridge that can barely manage 2500 fps with a tailwind? What was Roy Weatherby thinking?

just me but I would call 300 yards max on using the rifle for white tail hunting, not because of the accuracy issue but because of the energy factor

edit just a update on the project

just loaded 80 rounds for initial barrel break in and testing. The 8208 won't be here till end of next week so I decided to use TAC for the initial break in. Nosler load data shows 26.5 TAC with the 123 as the most Accurate/Western powders web data shows 28.5 max so I should be well withing safe pressures for the break in. I will be doing 10 rounds cleaning after each round while doing a pressure check workup using 2 rounds each at 25.5, 25.8, 26.1, 26.4, and 26.7. Then 5 sets of 3 rounds using 26.5 gns of TAC with a cleaning after every round, followed by as many 5 round sets with cleaning till I stop seeing copper. I will probably shoot them over the chrono just to see if the barrel tightens up in the first 80, more out of curiosity sake than anything. I will not be using either that bullet/powder combo after the break in. When I have some once fired brass and 8208 I will do a target load workup using 123 SMK's and 8208.

A new Magpull Gen 3 buttstock is on the way for the Rock River lower and the upper will get new optics in the form of a Sig Sauer BDX-R1 4.5 to 14X scope and rangefinder combo and a Warne one piece 20MOA mount. I currently have a red dot mounted on the upper that will be used for the break in. The Sig is more of a hunting than a target scope but we will see what happens. I can always put it on a hunting rifle build or give it to my son in law for one of his rifles if I decide I need more magnification for target use

Last edited:
I've been working with CFE223 and 110gr Lehigh controlled chaos copper bullets.
I'm not finished, but my last load at 30.3 gr was looking good. 2450 fps from an 18" upper. I still show no pressure signs, so I am probably going to bump the powder again to see if I can get my MV up to 2600+. Should be doable. I was pushing 123 gr bullets using Hornady AMAX and SST commercial ammo out of my 18" rifle at 2450, so I'd like to go a bit faster to balance using a slightly lighter bullet.

YMMV. Build slowly and safely.

I have a 12 inch Grendel upper and it likes ELDM's over SST's. Shot 2 northern white tail bucks with it this year, one at 60 yards and one at 130 yards. Both were downed relatively quickly although the ELDM's indeed worked there are better bullets out there. I pushed the 123 grain ELDM's with H4198 and it was THE BEST powder out of Varget, CFE 223, and some others. As of late, I worked up some loads with the new Sierra 130 grain Game Changers and they were amazing in terms of accuracy and I can only imaging that they should perform better on deer as well. I started with my H4198 charge lever from the 123 grain ELDM load and it was a real good match as it shot Sub MOA on the first loading. I loaded up some variants with lighter charges and it did not get any better so I think I may slowly go the other direction to see if it gets better although it is pretty great already for a 12" barrel.

Back