6.5 creedmore

Kachok, you haven't mentioned anything that the rest of us didn't already know regarding high BC bullets and calibers. As for my point on BC diffs being insignificant was based on same type bullets (Nosler Ballistic Tips) fired in my 260 or a 6.5 Creedmore (120 gr) versus being fired in a 257 Roberts AI (115 gr) at 3000 fps. Sighted in at 100 yards and fired to a target at 300 yards in a 20 mph crosswind. Trajectory diff, per the ballistics app I use, is 0.1 inch and wind drift diff is 0.7 inch. Depending on a fellow's expectations, that may or may not be insignificant.

I'm not trying to generate an argument, but only reinforcing my earlier point that the 260, the 6.5, and the 257 Roberts AI are very similar - with the same bullet weight and design. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Country I was just correcting Scorch when he said there was nothing special about the BC of the 6.5mm bullets.
As to the wind drift you should check your calculator, because I just double checked my numbers on two different calculators with very similar results.
If you gave them both 3000fps (50fps off my initial numbers), shooting a .390BC 117gr SST vs a .510BC 123gr SST in a 90 degree 20mph crosswind your respective drift at 300yds for both is 14.9" vs 11.0" and 14.88" vs 11.06 on the other calculator.
http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php
I do agree with you that they are very similar though, no argument there, the 257 AI can do almost anything the 6.5CM can inside 300, but at longer ranges and in more harsh conditions the Creedmoor really shines compared to all other low recoil cartridges (except other 6.5s)
Edit: Oops, sorry I overlooked the fact that you switched to Ballistic Tips instead of the SSTs that I initially mentioned. My fault for posting before I had my morning coffee :) Yes in the case of the BT the BC of the 115gr and the 120gr are pretty close, but that is more of the exception rather then the rule in my experence, we could run the numbers with everything from Partitions to SGKs and the results would come out much closer to my SST comparison.

Last edited:
I'm using the same bullet, whereas you are intentionally maximizing BC difference in different bullets in similar bullet weights to prove your point. That doesn't make you wrong, however.

I used Nosler BT's because of similar bullet weights in the 25 and 26 calibers and because of identical bullet design.

Yes, you most certainly can load up a 26 caliber bullet that has much higher BC than any bullet available for 25 caliber. Yes, the 26 caliber is potentially much better for long distance shooting, due to the higher BC bullets. But for hunting purposes inside 300 yards, there is little effective difference.

In all actuality I chose the SST not to maximize the difference in BC (BTW not the largest difference) but because that is the bullet I use for hunting most often in my small calibers, my second choice is SGKs and the difference there is pretty stout too.
Again I agree that there is little real world difference between the two in terms of hunting, but all things being equal I'll take a 6.5mm myself, namely because of all the experience I have with them and the confidence I have in them, whereas I have never even hunted with a 25 caliber.

Last edited:
I plan on building a Creedmore as my next project. I have only fired two shots through a 6.5 Creedmore. It was at the range right before a line break, so I had to hurry. Those two shots were touching at a 100 yards. I'm a believer. Zilch for recoil too.

"Magic bullet is pretty much what describes this current fascination with the 6.5's. I have owned quite a few over the years. I have owned quite a few of all kinds of stuff. The conclusion I came to was : Not all guns are created equal. If you own a real shooter of some caliber, don't sell it off to invest in a 6.5 Creedmore. Some rifles are just crazy accurate. My most accurate deer rifle right now is a 7x57. You look at it and it should not be, but it is. I would not trade it for any 6.5 Creedmore and I don't care who built it.

I recently came in to a situation where my 2 grandsons In Michigan's Keweenaw will be requiring a deer rifle for the farm they live on. Old Gramps has been thinking of what round to look for to cover the long range deer hunting that is at the back door. The 6.5 Cr. is the top choice for a new Bolt gun. That is where this cartridge comes in to play for tomorrows generation. Also I'm sure before long you will be able to find it in abundance at the local shops.

Creedmoor should be great in a light-weight bolt gun. I built an AR in creedmoor--in a way I wish I had simply bought a lightweight bolt gun instead cause I can't see myself hauling the big AR for miles in the deep woods--along with other hunting stuff.

Here's a batch of tastie loads I just whipped up to be served tomorrow--130 gr accubonds for my creedmoor and 130 gamekings for my 260 rem.

OP,
What everyone has failed to mention thus far is the intended purpose of the Creedmore. If shooting an AR platform with a 260 Rem the heavy long bullets (with the high BC's everyone is talking about) the bullets have to be seated deep, encroaching on the powder charge to get them to fit in the AR magazines.
The Creedmore is shorter, (although of the Improved category with less body taper, and a steeper shoulder) to allow the bullets to be seated out further.

Overall capacity of the Creedmore is about 5% less than the 260 Rem.

If your shooting a bolt gun, go the 260 Rem, if an AR then the Creedmore.

OP,
What everyone has failed to mention thus far is the intended purpose of the Creedmore. If shooting an AR platform with a 260 Rem the heavy long bullets (with the high BC's everyone is talking about) the bullets have to be seated deep, encroaching on the powder charge to get them to fit in the AR magazines.
The Creedmore is shorter, (although of the Improved category with less body taper, and a steeper shoulder) to allow the bullets to be seated out further.

Overall capacity of the Creedmore is about 5% less than the 260 Rem.
I've built both a creedmoor and a 260 rem AR and reload for them both.

Any bullet that I use in the creedmoor can also be used in the 260--and vice versa. They are so close in performance and function, the only real substantive difference IMO is that the creedmoor shoulder is set slightly further back than the straight-forward 308/260 shoulder. Absolute water case capacity is virtually identical--but because of the creedmoor's set back shoulder (less capacity used for the bullet) you gain a little extra usable capacity for powder--and thus velocity-- over the 260 using equivalent bullets. In my AR's the 260 seems a bit less "finicky" than the creedmoor; I regard the creedmoor as sort of a "supersized grendel." Unless you're a top-tier match shooter building a custom race gun--there is no real difference, performance-wise, between the two in my inexpert opinion. :).

Can you shoot 160 grain? I have a .260 Rem 99 Savage and would never get a 160 grain bullet in. The gun was originally a .308.

Can you shoot 160 grain? I have a .260 Rem 99 Savage and would never get a 160 grain bullet in. The gun was originally a .308.
Didn't even know they were still making modern bullets in 160 gr for 6.5--in any event the practical performance limit for me in either creedmoor or 260 is 140 gr.

No that is the 6.5x55. I am not aware of anything in way of heavy bullets factory loaded in the 260. The Remington idea for the 260 was a deer rifle. The European hunters favor heavy for caliber bullets. Its a concept gaining traction in the USA. I assume you can buy bullets as components.

Emcon the issue with the ultra low drag bullets in the 7mm-08 is that you simply run out of case before you get them to acceptable speeds. Trust me I tried, I know what the reloading manuals say but I was struggling to get 2,500fps with 160s even with compressed loads. Just my experience with my rifles, someone else may have a different take on it.

Well...you're right about that. My experience is absolutely different.

I shoot my 7-08 with the 162 Amax right at 2790 -as an accuracy load (I can push them faster- well over 2800) with 45.8 grains of IMR 4350.

26 minutes of drop at 1000 yards from my 200 yard zero.

Last edited:
Back