6.5 Creedmoor vs. 7mm-08

My Savage 6.5 has 1500 rounds through still going strong last loads tried last week were some of best I have shot. Accuracy still superb no sign of wear at all.

The Creedmoor is only 10 years old, not sure how old the 08 is, I dont think it gives anything that overwhelms the 6.5 until you start getting into 3000 fps for 160's and heavier.
The 6.5 Creedmoor has better usage of its case, but only by an eyelash, and we all know the 6.5 bullet gets through the wind better.
I have a Creedmoor, learning all kinds of new stuff about the capabilities of it every day,. Im more of a 7mm Remington Magnum guy when it comes to 7mm bullets..
The Creedmoor is based of the .30 TC case, but .243 win is probably the closest case for conversion

I know that this thread is more than a year old, but in case anyone else finds their way here, I wanted to offer a more complete answer. I should say I wanted to link to someone else who has a more complete answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLiEPzHDbzA

I have done quite a bit of research as I have been building an AR-10 and trying to finalize what round to use. Essentially the two are so similar, take your pick. However, there are a couple of situations where one has a more clear advantage over the other:

1. If hand loading for max BC bullets for long-range shooting in an AR-10 platform, the 6.5 CM has an advantage due to the fact that heavier 7mm bullets have to be seated deeper to fit the AR-10 magazine. You will not realize the full potential of the 7mm-08 in this rifle. No compromises with the 6.5, which already has a slight wind advantage at long ranges.

2. If loading for hunting with a bolt action that has a faster rate of twist, the 7mm-08 has better terminal energy, albeit not by a tremendous amount.

Fans of each cartridge will point out the advantages of their preferred round, but again, the differences are relatively small. If you already own one, no reason to go buy a new rifle in the other - except of course, to have a new rifle in a new caliber. :D

The best way to see the over view is to show the parallels of the 2 cartridges and what they can be used for.

The 6.5CM gives the same capabilities as the 6.5X55 Swede, and has the same ballistics minus about 2%. So little difference it is irrelevant.

The 7-08 is a short action shell that comes very close to a 270 Winchester with like bullet weights. Accurate, and can throw bullets of up to 175 grains and does it's best with 140-160 grain bullets. As above, basically the same ballistics - 2%. So little difference it is irrelevant.

In generalities I see the 6.5Cm as a cartridge I would use mostly for steel and paper shooting with excellent abilities for hunting too.

I see the 7-08 as a cartridge I would use mostly for hunting game up to elk size, with excellent steel and paper capabilities.

I own neither.

If I were offered my choice or either, it would be the 7-08 because I am focused mostly on hunting and I like the larger bullets of the 7MM over the 6.5 MM. If I lived where the common game was deer instead of elk, I might go the other way.

You can't really go wrong with either one.

Split the difference, let's see the .25 Creedmoor.

Just think, new brass, new dies, new barrels, ALL new bullets because the caliber has been neglected in favor of French System specifications.
A real economic stimulus.

This guy gets it.

"On paper the 7-08 looks better out to 400ish yards. In performance no animal will ever notice the difference. Beyond 400ish yards 6.5 wins and does it with significantly less recoil. Beyond 700 yards 6.5 Creed with 140's matches or beats 300 WM with 180 gr bullets."

Honestly, these ranges are well beyond the capabilities of most hunters to place bullets on game properly. AFAIK bullet diameter is still important and the smaller the bullet diameter, the more it has to expand to make the same size hole as a bigger bullet.
The proponents of the 6.5 C bandy about with ranges and numbers that are mostly for paper punchers. When comparing muzzle velocities, the 6.5C is a pretty weak showing.

I own both calibers, and have shot both extensively on paper, hogs, deer, etc...I would hardily recommend either caliber. Differences are mainly the ability to do well with different weight bullets, but either caliber can stand up to most any usage on our continent.

I own both calibers, and have shot both extensively on paper, hogs, deer, etc...I would hardily recommend either caliber. Differences are mainly the ability to do well with different weight bullets, but either caliber can stand up to most any usage on our continent.
I think this 'bout sums it up. I will add that I have been swept up in the "6.5 mania" as much as anyone--and only recently started doing builds with 7mm--I think it's a better bullet all-around than either the 6.5, .277 or 308.:)

best thing is to figure out what you want the round to do. Then play with balistic charts for the two and see what would work best for you.

Dont forget the compormise, the tried and true 270, its between the two in diameter and with todays bullets it out preforms both.

But we all have our opinions. Maybe one of each, then a few more and everything is covered.

Agreeing with Old Stony – It’s interesting that we get so worked up over what, by comparison to shooter ability and knowledge, are marginal factors in the end result. Using the 400 yd example; The large majority of hunters are going to kill game or not based on their ability to hit an appropriate kill zone. Those who struggle with this will very likely get the same result from both 7mm-08, 6.5CM… etc! And as far as target shooting goes, fine tuning by caliber when both options are reasonable similar should come when you have maxed out your basics, mechanics and knowledge. At the point at which the only factors available to improve your results are the difference between the 6.5CM and the 7-08, you’re probably well within the last 1-2% of your capability.

With that said, I have a 7mm-08 and it is my go-to deer rifle!

Sorry, first I've seen of the 6.5Creed compared to 7mm-08.
Usually it's compared with it's parent case, the 260 Rem.

Match shooters with the "modular sporting rifle" platform complained that you could not seat long heavy match bullets out, due to the limitations of the magazines. Hornady came up with a shortened, improved casing that let heavy match bullets seat out of the powder column better.

For the "modular sporting rifle", I think the 6.5 Creed would perform better for game out to 400 yards.

In a bolt rifle, it's a different story, with the edge going to the 260 Rem.

Comparing them to the 7mm-08 is like comparing 300 Win Mag to 338 Lapua. Different beasts...

Obviously the two calibers are very close in ballistics. Biggest difference is the commonly available hunting bullet weights (up to about 140gr for the 6.5mm, and about 175gr for the 7mm). Heavier match bullets are available for both. So getting which ever one appeals to each particular individual makes sense.

Both are superb for deer. The 6.5mm Creedmoor might be preferred if antelope is also on the menu. Likewise, the 7mm-08 is likely a little better if you're after elk.

I believe the 6.5 is currently seeing much more use than the 7mm-08 for paper punching.

Long term, it's hard to say. The 7mm-08 has been around longer and although it is somewhat popular, I don't think its ever been a huge seller. The 6.5 hasn't been around as long, but it seems to be very popular at the moment.

I know very little info about the 6.5 Creedmoor although a prior suggested comment~
The Creedmoor is based of the .30 TC case, but .243 win is probably the closest case for conversion
As to the closes cartridge brass. My thoughts suggest a 260 Rem brass may qualify for such purpose?
Than again (speculating?) could a 6.5 Creedmoor simply be a retread of the 260 Rem and change in moniker?????

Bbarn,
Actually common weights of bullets, especially factory ammo, for both the Creed and 7mm-08 are 120 to 140 gr.
I have heard of no one using a 175gr. bullet in the 7mm-08.
I don't even care for 160gr bullets due to the length of the bullet. I have a very generous throat (Nosler 140gr. Ballistic Tips loaded to 2.898") and when loading 160 gr there is too much intrusion into the case.

Exactly the same reason the Creed was made for the modular sporting rifles.

Actually common weights of bullets, especially factory ammo, for both the Creed and 7mm-08 are 120 to 140 gr.
I have heard of no one using a 175gr. bullet in the 7mm-08.
I don't even care for 160gr bullets due to the length of the bullet. I have a very generous throat (Nosler 140gr. Ballistic Tips loaded to 2.898") and when loading 160 gr there is too much intrusion into the case.

Exactly the same reason the Creed was made for the modular sporting rifles.
You have me a bit stumped on that one--though I'm new to the 7-08 I haven't noticed much of a difference in seating issues with the 7-08 with heavier bullets to say like seating for the regular 308 win. Unless you're talking long range paper punching efficiency?

Pull out a 139gr SST and compare it to a 160gr HPBT GameKing, or the SPBT GameKing. Quite a difference.
There is--point given, I'm just saying that in general the 7-08 is far more adaptable to heavier bullets than the creedmoor.:)

Short answer: There is no "big" difference.

Longer opinion: it comes down to what bullet weight you want to use.

I live in Tennessee, where we can legally kill three does a day throughout the rifle season (Late November through Jan 8). We can legally shoot coyotes any day of the year. We have limited wild hogs but no real huntable herds of game larger than deer.

So I use the 6.5 CM or my 260 REM with bullets from 85 grains (varmints and 'Yotes) and 120 or 140 gr for deer. I also have a 7mm-08, a 270 WIN, and a 243. The 260 REM is my favorite, because I like something a bit larger and heavier than a 100 gr 243, but I have no use for any bullets greater than 140 gr. My 260 performs better with a 140 gr bullet than my 7-08 does.

Back