6.5 Creedmoor vs 308

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shoot both with two completely different purposes.
.308 Bolt Gun Long Range Precision
6.5 CM Gas Gun Eradicate Hogs
Both perform exceedingly well for the intention they were built.
Both have muzzle brakes. Recoil is non-existent in a 30lb rifle.
Recoil on the 6.5CM maybe a .223.
I don’t favor one over the the other. But I’m not lugging a 30lbs through the woods for 6-8 hours that’s for sure! I run a thermal in my 6.5 so not taking that to the 2000 Yd Range.
How do you intend to use it?
What is realistic distance you can push it?

rdj_eyeroll.gif

Discussed in great detail here.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593867

The short version:

There are certainly better cartridges for any specific application, but the 6.5 CM (and .260Rem and even 6.5 Swede for the most part) offer excellent LR target ballistics, plus the capability to kill any game animal in North America (short of the big bears) at any ethical hunting range, all in a compact rifle with a relatively mild recoil and a decent barrel life. A deer or elk hit with a .270 or .308 in the vitals won't be any more dead than if they were hit with a 6.5CM.

It isn't magic, it is just a really good sweet spot of bore size, BC, SD, and packaging (which the Swedes have known about since 1894) combined with good marketing so hunters and shooters are now aware of it.

The esteemed Mr Whistlebritches would have you believe that because the .308 has a whopping ~14% more energy at 100 yards than the 6.5, that it is useless as a hunting round, even though the 6.5 has as much energy at 300 yards as a 30-30 has at 50 (and shoots a little flatter and has a little less wind than the .308)
I never said the CM was useless as a hunting round.......your words not mine.It would appear your alligator mouth has once again overloaded your hummingbird azz.I said the 308 is a better hunting round.You seem to be oblivious to facts so I won't repost them here.

Shoot what you like and like what you shoot.

Well I have a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor, both Mausers.
I dont know physically that Ive felt a huge difference in Recoil, generally speaking I shoot more 7mag, .270 win., and 6.506, 7×57 mauser, then the Creedmoor or .308, so they are quite a pleasure to shoot.
The Steyr 1912 is heavy enough to absorb some of the recoil, and my Creedmoor is a tad heavier than a commercial Creedmoor rifle package, say like a Savage or Ruger American...
Can I ask in what mauser you shoot the 6.5cm? That platform has been on my mind for several months now, but I'm not near a choice yet.

My Creedmoor is built on a Turkish M38 action.
It has:
1.Douglas premium XX airguaged, 24" 1:8" twist, #2 contour.
2. Tubbs Speedlock firingpin and spring.
3. Canjar trigger.
4. PTG 3 position Swing safety.
5. Redfield 1 piece base, with Leupold, 30mm rings.
6. Vortex Viper 4-12×44 BDC reticle.
7. Richards Microfit Ultralite laminate stock, Devcon bedded.
8. Kick EEz butt pad.
Also I added a magazine block made of Lexan in the rear of magazine, that uses an Arisaka follower, ( because it fed better than a mauser follower.)

My Creedmoor is built on a Turkish M38 action.
It has:
1.Douglas premium XX airguaged, 24" 1:8" twist, #2 contour.
2. Tubbs Speedlock firingpin and spring.
3. Canjar trigger.
4. PTG 3 position Swing safety.
5. Redfield 1 piece base, with Leupold, 30mm rings.
6. Vortex Viper 4-12×44 BDC reticle.
7. Richards Microfit Ultralite laminate stock, Devcon bedded.
8. Kick EEz butt pad.
Also I added a magazine block made of Lexan in the rear of magazine, that uses an Arisaka follower, ( because it fed better than a mauser follower.)
Wow! Thanks!

That's a little more than I'm up to at the moment, but I like the sound of it. It gives me a lot of ideas at least

I've got a 260 and two 308s. One 308 is a 788 with a thin stock and it recoils noticeably more than the Savage 260 with a Boyd's Prairie Hunter. My other 308 is a VTR with a Magpul Hunter stock and it recoils like a peach. My opinion is the Creedmoor reminds me of the Winchester Marketing Magnums - same whiz bang as 2.5 Magnums, but in a lighter platform. I agree that the Creed is more efficient, but I like the cartridges with parents. I own 243, 260, 308, 280, 30-06, and 338-06.

Last edited:
I've got a 260 and two 308s. One 308 is a 788 with a thin stock and it recoils noticeably more than the Savage 260 with a Boyd's Prairie Hunter. My other 308 is a VTR with a Magpul Hunter stock and it recoils like a peach. My opinion is the Creedmoor reminds me of the Winchester Marketing Magnums - same whiz bang as 2.5 Magnums, but in a lighter platform. I agree that the Creed is more efficient, but I like the cartridges with parents. I own 243, 260, 308, 280, 30-06, and 338-06.
Ahem...no 358 win? ;)

Reloadky ; Any rifle cartridge will make a good hunting gun. A 222 Remington will break a black tail's neck at 150 yds, easy. A 243win is a super cartridge. All rifles will have a certain amount of recoil. If recoil is a big issue with you, stay with a 6mm bullet cartridge. If you think you might get use to a bit of recoil, then the 6.5mm bullet cartridge might work well. Maybe even consider the 7mm/08. But I'd seriously consider the 243 winchester - It's easy on the budget and a fine shooting rifle cartridge.

I plan on eventually owning both rifle calibers I just need to decide which one I want first!!! There have been some good comments and those are appreciated.

light rifle

I'm thinkng that the 6.5 CM in a superlight rifle like the Kimber Hunter might be an interesting combo. At 5.5 lbs, say 6.5 with tidy scope and mounts and loaded, in .308, it would tend to get your attention, but the difference between 6.5CM and .308, a 6.5CM Hunter might make for a tolerable combo, with considerable reach if it mattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back