6.5 Creedmoor in a .260 Remington?

TXAZ

Overheard at LGS today: You can shoot 6.5 Creedmoor out of a .260 Remington rifle....

I'm pretty sure these cartridges have different dimensions, even if the cartridge body diameter is the same for the two.

Guy claimed it gave you more ammo options if you had a .260.

I don't know if that can actually be done or not, but you can shoot a 300blk in a .223 that doesn't make it a good idea though.

I'd avoid going to that LGS at ALL COSTS!!!

Bad advise AND DANGEROUS!!!

TW
It wasn’t an employee but a conversation between 2 customers looking for ammo options.

I wish I had made a video of it.

I don’t think you can do that but I don’t have a .260 to check.

I'm not quite sure it would fit.
6.5 CM is based off of an improved 30 TC case necked down. With the improved, the case shoulder may interfere in the 260 chamber.
If you had a 260AI, it might, might chamber.
But doing so would give you potential for dangerous headspace issues!

Looking at the above linked photo it appears that it might very well be possible for a 6.5 CM round to fit in a 260 chamber and it might actually fire. But I wouldn't want to be holding the rifle if it does.

There are lots of combos out there where one cartridge will fit the chamber and actually fire. Some are dangerous, others not. A 300 H&H will fit and fire safely on a 300 Weatherby chamber. It is the same principle as firing a 30-06 in a 30-06 AI chamber. In at least some rifles a 308 will chamber and fire in a 30-06.

I have a game warden friend who said he once arrested someone hunting at night. They had fired a 35 Rem cartridge through a 7mm Rem mag rifle. Somehow the rifle didn't come apart.

The shoulder diameter of the creedmoor is slightly larger than the shoulder diameter of the 260. So it might not chamber far enough to fire. But it probably could be jammed in with some effort, especially since the creedmoor is shorter and the 260 has some taper in the body. It would be similar to fire forming 7-30 Waters out of 30-30 win brass. The brass would probably split though. Not sure if the bullet would stay centered on the bore well enough to be safe. And I highly doubt it would be very accurate. All together I wouldn't try it. But that proves some folks don't understand what is going on....

Thanks guys.
I’m sure there are lots of cartridges that will chamber a disparate cartridge, and others that will fire a disparate cartridge, and even a few that will eject the cartridge.

Now that you’ve mentioned it, I think I could chamber a .22 LR or .410 shotgun shell in Boomer. :)

The shoulder diameter of the creedmoor is slightly larger than the shoulder diameter of the 260. So it might not chamber far enough to fire. But it probably could be jammed in with some effort, especially since the creedmoor is shorter and the 260 has some taper in the body. It would be similar to fire forming 7-30 Waters out of 30-30 win brass. The brass would probably split though. Not sure if the bullet would stay centered on the bore well enough to be safe. And I highly doubt it would be very accurate. All together I wouldn't try it. But that proves some folks don't understand what is going on....

Is it safe to rebarrel an action originally used for a 51,000 psi small case cartridge with a barrel using a bigger case 65,000 psi cartridge?

Or rechamber a 7mm barrel for a 51,000 psi small case cartridge to a larger case 65,000 psi 7mm cartridge?

I think it's safe. Both has been done for decades with Winchester 70 and Remington 7XX stuff.

Last edited:
When living in Arlington,VA, I had a neighbor who was a Major in the marine corp working as a clerk at the pentagon. He honestly thought that a 7.62x39 would fire and operate in an M-14, but not vice versa. Said he heard it in the office.

Why in the world would you want to fire a different cartridge in a chamber not designed to fire it?
By accident. Inattention. Stupidity--whatever you want to call it. One day I might tell the story of when I accidentally fired a 308 win cartridge in a 270 win rifle (it did not blow up and the bullet hit the target; but it could have had a worse outcome and unless the manufacturer specifically says so--never fire a cartridge in a weapon it was not chambered for).

Is it safe to rebarrel an action originally used for a 51,000 psi small case cartridge with a barrel using a bigger case 65,000 psi cartridge? Or rechamber a 7mm barrel for a 51,000 psi small case cartridge to a larger case 65,000 psi 7mm cartridge? I think it's safe. Both has been done for decades with Winchester 70 and Remington 7XX stuff.

For the actions mentioned I’m sure it is safe as long as the action is in good condition. However, I would balk at the idea if the action was an older ‘03 or M98 etc. Bolt setback can happen, especially if the surface hardening is worn off from excessive use or the steel was improperly heat treated. But you know that.

Why in the world would you want to fire a different cartridge in a chamber not designed to fire it?
Combination of boredom and alcohol.
Back in the day, I tried to blow up a 98 Mauser and couldnt do it. (Alcohol and boredom)
It was safe. 50 ft pull rope and big tree for cover.

Last edited:
Back