6.5 Creedmoor Help

I was contemplating on getting a Howa barrel at Brownells and getting stock separate. But due to lack of knowledge, I don't know what is needed or if I do go this route if I would be in over my head. Also do know that I would spend more money this route but wouldn't mind getting that satisfaction of "building" my own and looking different then the rest.

Frankly that was my issue though money was available selling other guns.

I know its a relic for the purpose, but I wanted a target 30-06, that cartridge is just too much of family as well as nation history not to for me (others of course have their own thing)

So I bought a Savage action in a stock type I wanted and put a bull 06 barrel on it. It got me what I wanted (and love it, my favorite even though the stock is not a target one it works great) and a heavy barrel 06 is rare (Remington had one out not sure they still do)

Did the same with a 7.5 Swiss though the barrel cost twice that due to its odd nature.

So yes, doing your own barrels is great. Boyds stocks have good fits (or the laminated ones do) -

Learning to take the old barrel off is the hardest, you can look at U tube for the idea on the rest. PM me if you go that route and I can advise on tools. Its take about $100 for the Savage setup.

How often are you going to shoot past 600 yards?

Prior to 600, 6.5CM doesn't offer much over .308.
Also consider .223, if you are just punching paper.

Raimus,

At the moment not soon. But did find a place that offers that distance. I still am learning but am better than when I first started. Part of reason why I don't go that far is because I am trying to get my kid to get better before eventually going past 200yds as well as myself. Being he is 11, don't want to give him a challenge, get frustrated and then doesn't want to go.

I do have .223 which have read can go far as well. Just want to get another rifle and have my mind set on that caliber. Just want to get another gun... which it all comes down to.

I have been wanting a .308 but in AR style. I am not much of a AR person, but I did get one in 5.56 as I wanted to get a 5.56 rifle. That I don't shoot as much but I finally got one though.

Further I have target shot is 300 meters.

We do have a 1000 yard range I hope to get some time on.

One aspect is getting to the target! Last time I took my bike to the 300 m range, much better.

These are shots from last year doing load development for the Tikka CTR in 260 stock from factory. Targets are dime sized. Scope was a 6.5x20x50 Vortex. It will do better now that I have chosen the load but my 6.5 shoots just as good if not better. Nightforce rings and 20 moa rail. It has been out to 1600 with my husband several times but he is way better shot than I am

Attachments

• Tika CTR 200 yards.JPG
    Tika CTR 200 yards.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 23
I recently wanted a 6mm creedmoor but Remington doesent have it. I am a big beleaver in remington but not to pass up my 6 CM. I ended up going to Cabellas for my Savage 10t. Im in process of preping for the range. My grandsons will learn how to shoot deer and cyotes on thair UP Kewanaw farm with it. It has the power to reach out to 500 Yds. for the deer. The 26" heavy barrel will require a bypod for the yungsters and my selfe. It's not much of a kicker. When the correct brake gets installed I hoope they will beable to watch the hit. I hope to have them shooting asprins at 100 Yds. this summer. Good Luck with your Remington. Keep us up dated with the CM.

How often are you going to shoot past 600 yards?

All the time, most of the time. I shoot a lot more then what I hunt. During hunting season I normally end up with 2 antelope tags, an elk and a deer tag. During the season I may use a half dozen shells hunting.

But I shoot thousands throughout the year because I like to shoot. And a huge majority of my rifle shooting is at distance.

I figure if I can hit steel at 1000-1500 yards then I would be a much better game shot at 300 yards.

Well thats the excuse I use to justify my shooting as much as I do.

We all, or should anyway, do a lot more shooting on the range then we do in the field.

Due to my back, shooting is my recreation. I am looking at a Ural (side car cycle) so I may get distracted in that direction somewhat.

So I do shoot a lot, 30 weekend a year roughly - maybe more -150 rounds or more a session (when I shoot I( want to go shoot ALL day)

If I did not have a hang up for my 30 calibers, I would be deep into 6.5.

I don't think you have to shoot a lot for the average hunt, its better if you are going to shoot long distances. Mostly those who try and can't, miss.

RC Its not uncommon for me to get some brain fog from time to time. but this isn't it. The Savage 10t is a 26" heavy barrel. Lets call it a Cabela's only special. Thanks for the ability to let us know what you think. When I found the Savage I was also surprised. That's what happens when the company purchases a large run for us shooters to have fun with. :)

Dang, Wendy....
Your groups were tighter with the 7mm-08... Lol

Nino,
I shoot probably 1,100-1,500 rounds of rifle per year. Out to 400 really isn't that hard. Going past 500 the wind really takes hold. Getting consistant hits at 600 and beyond takes work.
Good optics help too. Lol

7mag. My groups will probably always be tighter with the 7-08. I’m going to burn the barrel out eventually since it’s my chosen rifle every time I go out. It only has a Leupold 3.5x10x40 cds on it but I know I shot probably 2000 rounds through it last summer. Rifling is still perfect according to friends bore scope. Unfortunately my husband is a much better shot with the 260 and 6.5. If he can’t get one hole or cloverleaf after trial and error the rifles usually go away or if I’m lucky to me. I take pictures to remember loads. He writes everything in a ledger. I’m real partial to that 7-08. Really want some game to see how those 120 grain Barnes bullets do. No luck this year. Passed a few but saw nothing that caught my eye. How’s your AI doing now or have you moved on to another build.

Back