6.5 Creedmoor Bullet Jump

Thanks for all the responses. My concerns on exceeding 2.800" by .020" to end up with 2.820" have been answered. As long as I am not 'on the lands' pressure buildup will not be a concern. I hadn't thought about whether fitting in the magazine would be an issue since I use a single feed magazine sled.

I struggle somewhat with the guy in the video (hard to watch him) but understand where he is coming from on finding the seating 'guardrail' by jamming the bullet. This seems similar to finding where 'in the lands' your bullet seats with the Hornady OAL gauge. I will try his jam vs in the lands method and see if there is really any difference in my groups.

Wart,

You dont even really need to find Jam or where the lands are. Shadow does the same thing I do . You can start with a standard overall length of 2.800 and go in .003 increments 2.797, 2.794, 2.791. That will move the ogive of the bullet back or its Jumping into the lands. That video single handed cut my groups in half . I didn’t measure my ogive or my lands just used different seating depths in .003 increments until you find a node. And you will find a node . and its beautiful sight too see.

I did measure all of my bullets by overall length so when I measure COL, they were all the same length or with in .0001. There are arguments about measuring base to ogive but when I did that almost all my ogives where exactly the same on every bullet. So it seemed easier for me to measure the Overall length of the projectile. Some high power shooters do this. Im not an expert nor a national match champion but when you see groups shrink in half I ran with it.

Some bullets that are already pointed you wont have to do this.

If you dont have one already, pick up a seating die that has micro meter adjustments it can adjust your seating depth .0001 increments. My redding Competition seater die is probably my favorite die

Unclenick,

In his video he did advise as the lands erode you can adjust your seating depth longer but doesnt take much. But he claims he didnt do it very often maybe changed his seating depth 1 or twice.

Last edited:
Shadow,

What seating depths did you hit your node? You should have found at least 2

Its a long story, I made some poor choices that may have effected my results. I don't want to post anything I'm not 100% confident in, and I don't want to hijack this thread with a big long story. Shot you a PM with the whole story and data.

Last edited:
Back