6.5 Creed will replace the 243

Status
Not open for further replies.
The load data was chosen for both from Wikipedia, it was handy, and despite the reputation they have among people who don't use it, they are very rarely wrong.

Wiki told me the first .357 Magnum was the S&W model 27, in 1935.

right year, wrong gun!!

perhaps a minor error, but when they get little stuff wrong, how you do you know they get the big stuff right??

trust, but VERIFY!!
(and especially any and all loading data!!)

stagpanther
a big medulla oblongata

You keep using words like that on a public forum and the moderators are gonna get angerrreeee!
:)
6.5CM are very effective cartridges for hunting or long distance shooting, but the .243 has such a large usage base that I don't see it ever being left in a corner when the discussion is about small/medium sized game.

These kinds of threads get really old really fast--especially when they keep repeating.

Master Jedi says "there's always a bigger fish.":)

Only two pages!? On another forum, they have a "debate" on the 6.5 CM replacing the 30-06. That was up to nine pages last I could stand to look. 6.5 CM probably isn't going to replace/negate anything; just add to it. Like an earlier poster said, shoot what you have and be happy.

I doubt the 243 or 308 are going away. I like the 6.5CM, it will probably be around for awhile for several reasons, one of which is easy handloading.

According to my Hornady manual here, i’m looking at the 6.5 data, and their 140gr ELDM bullet has a B/C of .585, which IMO is pretty darn good (I say anything over .400 will definitely perform well 500+ yards), but if you look up a 208 grain ELDM bullet for the .308 it has a B/C of .648. That right there is much better, at (obviously) cost of recoil.
The possible problems here are, 1. twist rate (10 may be enough, but maybe not 12) 2. OAL (do you intend to single load or feed from a magazine) 3. Powder capacity (a lot of a 200+ grain bullet is in the case, what powder do you use? or do you have a 26" barrel?)

140 grain bullet in a 6.5 Creedmoor... easy peasy.

as a light game rifle. It will not supplant the 308. The 308 has obvious advantages in the ability to move bullets with more mass and the obvious plus of the vast variety of 30 caliber bullets from the 100 gr. Speer plinker to the heavyweights. The 6.5 has somewhat less recoil for the target shooters and a case designed to fit long bullets in a short action but it's real niche is a cartridge that can finally replace the 243.
The 6.5 is much closer to the 308 than 243 for hunting. The 308 is in like Flynn because of the black_op/rambo/milsurp/tactical connection. The 243 is not going any place either. It is a rock solid useful little round. Bottom line, the 6.5cm will not be replacing either.

It has replaced the 260 rem. It may put pressure on the 6.5x55 which made a bit of a come back in USA. The Swedish round will never go away, it may return back to its limited cult following in USA. Very popular in Europe for ever. It may put a lot of pressure on the 7mm-08. I think some first time deer rifle buyers have selected the 6.5 over the 308 and 7mm-08. I dont see 6.5 replacing either. It is grabbing a big piece of that the middle ground. Anything 6.5 is hot these days.

The 6.5 bore in general may erode the sales of 270 a bit. Just a WAG.

I find it hard to say that as a whole, we will replace X caliber. Now the military replaces calibers, but civilian shooters are gonna hold on to stuff even when its past its prime.

I take the .25-06 for instance. The 6.5 CM outclassed it in most ways. I recognize that without hesitation. But that doesn't stop me from keeping that cartridge alive. Its what I started on and I like it because many people have forgotten it.

Also another good example of what I'm talking about is just muzzleloaders in general. Super outdated but they keep taking deer year after year.

Last edited:
Not even discussing the merits of the 6.5 over the .243... and all the contenders that have come before to displace it.

What contender number are we on now that is certain to displace the .243? Do the 6.5 fans really think its special compared to those contenders?

Back in 1938 do ya think men stood around and argued whether the 357 would "replace" the 45 colt or the 45acp? Perhaps the 44-40?

Once a cartridge becomes reasonably popular, they seldom are replaced anytime soon. There are simply too many guns chambered for them that the owners want to use.

Even cartridges that don't become popular are seldom “replaced”, though they may slowly fade away. Older rounds like the 6.5mm Remington Magnum, 350 Remington Magnum, and to a lesser extent, rounds like the 358 Winchester and 8mm Remington Magnum, are for the most part slowly fading away. Manufacturers stop chambering the rounds in their guns, ammo makers reduce or eliminate their number of offerings in the calibers, and empty brass gets dropped from the catalog. But shooters find ways to keep using those guns and calibers because they work just fine. That 358 Winchester is a mighty fine hunting rifle at reasonable ranges – better than many rounds that are more popular.

Look at the 30-30. A candidate for replacement if there ever was one. There are countless 30 caliber rounds that are "better". If only there weren't millions of guns chambered for it. And if only it wasn't so much fun to shoot. And only if it wasn't such a good cartridge for deer hunting. So it's not likely to go away in any of our lifetimes.

The 243 Winchester is well established and isn't going away, much less getting replaced. The 6.5 Creedmore seems to have reached the point of being reasonably popular. So it too isn't likely to fade away anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back