6.5 CM, difference between Hornady and Federal cases.

ed308
Sorry to hear that , it could be how you prepping your brass or what and how much powder your using . A few seasons back I used the same 30 cases of Federal brass , when one showed any sign of breaking down I dumped the whole lot , after the 25th time I saw a small crack at the case mouth . I do use the expander ball , full size to .001 - .002 , trim after every firing , I don't annealing my brass and bottom all my primers . I'm not loading hot that may be the reason.

Chris

Just a followup: After shooting another 200 cartridges, there is no difference between the Hornady and Federal brass. Statistically they are the same. The standard deviation about the point of aim is virtually the same. I was seeing patterns were none existed.

If he's still around you may want to give Kilotanker a PM.

I think he was running into issues with different cases for his Manbun.

Reynolds357, for what my rifle is, and what my abilities are, this rifle will shoot any bullet I load for it under moa so far, some under a quarter moa.
I wouldn't think about sending her to the circus for nothing.
I cannot post pictures, but you'd definitely agree she's a keeper.

unless the load development is balancing on a razor blade that much volume should not make a damn. Up close and personal velocities are pretty much moot in the equation. In well developed load a variance of .2 or .3 gns of powder should not make a damn let alone a fraction of a ml of case volume

I prepare the cases as described by BartB and I easily get 20 reloads before I start to see mouth and neck cracks in just some, not all. In some cases the primer pockets loosen before the cracks are seen, but, still, I reflect on the fact that I probably bought a lot more brass in the past than I'll ever use. I bought it when Midway had bulk sales with reasonable shipping costs -maybe rifle brass was 15-20 cents each. I have a box of Remington 180gr HP in .44 Mag that I paid $73 for one thousand. I have to chuckle when I go to Cabelas and see 20 rounds of .270 without high-end bullets for $26 a box.....

Back