6.5 CM, difference between Hornady and Federal cases.

btmj

I just started reloading a few months ago, my goal is to produce 6.5 creedmoor ammo with a higher level of accuracy than factory ammo. After a lot of experimenting, I have a load I like... and it does shoot more consistently than the factory match ammo I have shot. 41.6 gr IMR 4350, 140 gr SMK bullet, 2.770 COL.

I have about 150 cases of Hornady brass, and another 80 of Federal. I have kept the cases separate when reloading. I am noticing a trend that the Federal cases shoot about 1/2 inch lower at 100 yards than the Hornady case reloads. Everything else in the reload process is the same, just two different cartridge cases. I can not discern a difference in precision between the two... loads from both cases shoot very tight groups.

My question: Does this level of variation seem reasonable? It seems like a lot to me, but I don't have a basis of experience.

Federal uses Low Brass which is softer than Cartridge Brass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass
This can cause primer pockets to loosen sooner.
It is one reason Federal brass is not my first choice in brass.
But depending on the application, handgun or 223 general-go-bang they may be entirely serviceable.

Thanks for your thoughts...

The federal cases have some variation in case thickness (of course), as do the Hornaday cases. The difference between the Hornady average and the federal average is small compared to the overall spread for each brand.

After reading more of the threads on this forum, I have come to realize that I may not get as much life out of the federal cases as the Hornady... For consistency, I might just buck up and buy some fresh Hornady cases and discard all the federals.

Starline brass. Good stuff.
Hornady sells brasss but someone else makes it. Reloading purchased cartridges, I have noticed significant off center flashholes.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a chronograph? The velocity difference between the Hornady and Federal brass would be interesting to see. As suggested by reynolds357, the Federal cases may have a greater case capacity resulting in lower pressure and velocity as compared to the Hornady cases with the same powder charge.

If you are going to buy new brass, I would recommend Starline over Hornady; better brass. Starline 6.5 CM brass is quite good for the price range. Hornady has a lot of inconsistencies in comparison (as noted by Marco Califo). I seldom run across any Federal, this is just as well in my opinion, they do not hold up nearly as well.

Last edited:
Different brands of brass have different volume. Generally speaking Federal brass tends to have slightly less volume than other brands due to thicker brass. As a result the same powder charge in Federal brass will usually result in more pressure and more velocity. If you're working close to max loads this could be a problem.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with Federal, it is just different. I only use Hornady brass for my 6.5. But I have Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady and Nosler brass for my 308 and 30-06. I keep it all separate and use different brass for different loads. For example 150 gr Hornady bullets may be in Winchester brass. 180 gr loads in Hornady brass, 165 gr loads in Remington etc. When I use Federal brass I've found it works better to back off about 1/2 gr compared to the other brands.

You can get 40 to 50 reloads per Federal case with maximum loads if you do all the right stuff with the right stuff. Excellent accuracy, too.

Different brands of brass have different volume. Generally speaking Federal brass tends to have slightly less volume than other brands due to thicker brass. As a result the same powder charge in Federal brass will usually result in more pressure and more velocity. If you're working close to max loads this could be a problem.

JRM, this brings up a situation I was going to start my own thread on but I'll bring it up here since you've opened the door.

Here is the scenario: Reloading for a new caliber with a powder you've never used before and a bullet type you've never used before. You have only 20 pieces of once-fired Hornady brass but 40 pcs of once-fired Federal brass. In order to do a safe load workup, I'm assuming 5 rounds per load. Bullet manufacturer's load data says starting load is 52.5 and max is 55.5. Therefore, 7 different load tests going up 0.5gr per test (35 rounds).

Do you start by using the Federal brass at the low end and reserve the Hornady brass for the higher-end loads? Or, do you go the opposite and use the Federal for the higher pressure loads (under the assumption it will exhibit pressure signs earlier and cause you to stop at a lower load level)?

When I first started to reload I started with Remington and Winchester , when a friend gave me his Federal cases and using the same charge the R & W cases filled the case to the base of the neck , switched to the Federal the powder filled just about to the top of the case mouth . The brass is much thicker , lowering my charge I found the thicker brass worked much better for me . You can check with your calipers the thickness at the case mouth .

When comparing case capacities filling them with water, be sure all the cases have the same outside dimensions.

I's a really simple fix. if you shoot the Hornady's and run out of ammo, go to the Federal and raise the sight's 1/2"! :-) I believe your really over thinking this!

You can get 40 to 50 reloads per Federal case with maximum loads if you do all the right stuff with the right stuff. Excellent accuracy, too.
I would be hard pressed to believe any brass manufacturer could produce a case that could get that many reloads of a cartridge like 6.5 Creedmoor...

The key to long case life is twofold; assuming chamber is near minimum specification.

First, minimal full length sizing the fired cases in dies without expander balls. Die neck .002" smaller than loaded round neck and set in press to set fired case shoulder back .001" to .002".

Second, powder charge doesn't produce excessive pressure, 60 to 62 thousand psi max average.

Last edited:
I have found that my Creedmoor likes annealed necks.
It doesn't matter a lot what maker, as long as it's annealed before each resizing.

I've never gotten 40 loads off any max rifle load in 40 years of loading 223, 243, 260, 270, 280, 7mmRM, 7mmWBY, 308, 30-06, 338-06. Federal and Remington have been found to be soft, for me.

.I have found that my Creedmoor likes annealed necks.
It doesn't matter a lot what maker, as long as it's annealed before each resizing.
I'd trade that heifer in. I rarely, if ever, anneal brass for my long range or match rifles. Of course Norma and Lapua brass rarely ever need annealed.

I know of two other reloaders who get dozens of reloads (i.e. 40 to 50) with 308, and like Bart, they do not full-length resize, just neck size. I am not sure what other tricks are involved, but I have no reason to doubt what Bart is saying.

I'm not there yet. My cases are on the second reloads, and for simplicity sake, I full length resize because a full length resizing die is what came with my set. If I only get 8 or 10 reloads, well fine. I will think about what to do when that time comes... perhaps a 250 case bag of starline brass...

I have never gotten dozens of reloads out of any brass brand. But find that especially hard to believe with Federal. Lucky to get 4 or 5 before the primer pockets get to loose.

Back