590 Shockwave-Another thing I won't do again

I've got hundreds of rounds through my Shockwave and love it. I only shoot minislugs and my own homebrew #4 Buck minishells. The minislugs have a bit more kick than my minishells, but the recoil is still manageable. I avoid full-sized slugs.

Like smee, I started with the OpSol adapter, but I recently installed the Defender Tactical conversion kit which allows me to shoot any combination of shell lengths up to 3". I've also installed a slimline side saddle, a Crimson Trace Laser Saddle, XS Big Dot, and a Streamlight TL-Racker forend light.

I've gotten pretty accurate with both the rounds I use, and can comfortably say that I would have no concerns grabbing it at night to defend myself.

Thanks, Cowboy, I didn't know about the Defender Tactical conversion kit, I ordered one last night and will give it a try. I like the option of shooting the different size shells with out having to remove the adaptor.

Shooting a shotgun without a butt stock is a lot harder than it looks .

A dog was on our steet chasing bicylist , walkers , children and acting strang ...
The police stopped and the officer thought the dog rabid ... there had been calls earlier of a dog biting people . He had a 12 ga. with no butt stock ... the dog came running up to where we were and ... he missed 4 shots at very close range ... you don't have any way to sight ... you must hip shoot and that's not very accurate way to shoot .
After watching that ... my shotgun is Keeping its butt stock and I'm using the bead to sight it with .
I would have never believed the policman could miss 4 times when the dog was so close ... but there is no way to use any sights and pumping with two hands threw his barrel off the direction he was trying to aim . The butt also aids in reloading/pumping .
Gary

He [the police officer] had a 12 ga. with no butt stock ...

I'm surprised a police department would do that.

My (limited to half a dozen slugs) experience was it's not a 'serious' thing and the guy that bought it (Mossberg Shockwave 'Shock 'N' Saw') bought it on a whim to try something different.

The Shockwave did have a shotgun bead front sight and that's what was used for the initial setting of the green laser the owner had on the gun. We shot slugs and adjusted the laser and I don't have any problem with hitting something with the thing and shooting was done from the hip but recoil was such that like I said in my original post, shooting slugs from the thing is not something I would willingly do again.

Was the police officer shooting slugs, buckshot or birdshot?

I think the Shockwave is the answer to a question nobody asked! I've tried one, and don't see the need (I do have a former Police 870 with a 20" barrel). The folks at the range that almost always have a Shockwave (or Remington's version) are not exactly gun folks. Young people with inferiority complexes...

Low Recoil Rifled Slugs...Tame the ShockWave

Lest you fear lower velocity will seriously hinder the effectiveness of a one ounce rifled slug, here is a link to a successful deer hunt by Brobee 223 with a Mossberg ShockWave using Remington Low Recoil Rifled Slugs. These slugs, rated at 1200 fps, actually reached 1100 fps from the 14 inch barrel. The 590 had an XS Big Dot sight installed over the original bead to bring the slug rounds down to a 50 yard point of aim.

The complete pass-through shot came at frame 7.00

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Brobie+223

Last edited:
Great shot placement. Even without the heart and dbl lung hit, that slug went all the way through and kept going. A 1oz chunk o lead at 1100fps is nothing to sneeze at

Back