'58 Remington usage question

I don't ride horses but cant they control them selves for a few seconds, or do they immediately flip out once you release the reins? Thought that knob on the saddle was a place to put the reins when you need to use your hands.
Well trained horses with an experienced rider can be controlled just by putting pressure from one leg/heel/spur to the horse's side - no reins necessary. The whole point is to be able to ride and still use both hands if needed. In fact, if you ride long your legs will become quite strong from gripping the horse's sides anyway. The horn on a typical Western saddle is for tying off a lasso that you've used to rope a cow. That wasn't a common thing til the cattle ranching era (I don't think), and cavalry saddles wouldn't have had them.

"Yes most of the war was fought on foot but the cavalry was the only unit to use revolvers besides officers and artillery jmar. "

Can't forget about the artillery.

Artillery NCOs had the option of carrying sidearms, revolver and saber, with the saber being mostly worn for dress.

Not sure about the privates, but those serving the gun were not encumbered with needless accouterments.

Military revolvers in that period were loaded with cartridges, period. No organized troops carried powder flasks and loose bullets, though some "militia" might have. And loading a revolver with cartridges is fairly fast if one has some practice.

Regardless of well-publicized statements to the contrary, standard practice on both sides was to consider the saber to be the primary weapon for fighting on horseback, and the carbine for fighting dismounted. The revolver was used in shock tactics or if distance was too great for the saber, but revolvers had the serious problem of the shooter being as likely to hit a friendly trooper or his own horse as an enemy soldier.

Incidentally, the Remington was not universally liked. One reason was that the top strap kept fired caps from being thrown clear so they fell into the mechanism. Caps could be cleared from the Colt by turning the gun upside down while cocking and that was often done by pointing the gun up and back over the shoulder. That was the origin of the Army practice of commencing range firing from the "raise pistol" position, a practice taught at least into the 1970's.

Jim

I don't think cap jams were all that big of a problem back then. I had some original caps altho I don't know who made them or from what precise time period they were from but they were copper and a little thicker than modern caps. I don't see them blowing apart like modern caps do.

Back