.58 muzzleloader questions

Yea, in musket competition at Friendship we shoot 200 yds. I shot it there
using round ball and did pretty good.

Excuse me gentlemen but I've skirmished for many a year. I am well aware of
what civil war military rifled muskets can, and cannot do in the field. Setting
up for fixed/known-range target shooting -- vs hunting at indeterminate ranges
past 125 yards w/ instantaneous calculation for football trajectory for a single
shot -- is a totally different ball of wax.

My counsel is not to do it.
In the end, however, the OP may do he desires.

Last edited:
Excuse me gentlemen but I've skirmished for many a year. I am well aware of
what civil war military rifled muskets can, and cannot do in the field. Setting
up for fixed/known-range target shooting -- vs hunting at indeterminate ranges
past 125 yards w/ instantaneous calculation for football trajectory for a single
shot -- is a totally different ball of wax.

My counsel is not to do it.
In the end, however, the OP may do he desires.

Generally I make up a card that lists my bullet drop at different yardages and keep it on my person until it is ingrained in memory. I always use a rangefinder prior to making a shot. Adjusting for different holds at various yardage is something I do frequently. I use it for long range shooting as well as traditional bow hunting.
I respect your opinion and your experience in the matter, but you are unaware of my obsessive nature. I tend to practice for long hours in honing a skill I want to perfect, and if I feel that I can't take an ethical shot, I will always let a deer walk.
I'm really seeking opinions as to what the caliber/guns can accomplish given certain types of bullet/ball. In the end I will always take to heart the opinions of those that have more experience than myself. I really value your insight and opinions, but going down the road of hunting ethics can be a very slippery slope.

Any opinions on the lymen trade rifle? It doesn't seem as fancy as their Great Plains rifle but it's also significantly cheaper.

Back